Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-08, 10:38 PM   #1
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
Thread Starter
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Halp! People with rescue kitties!

4 out of 5 cats in this house are rescue kitties -- rescued at maybe 4 wks old and handled and fed - but then my cat and another escaped when they was about 10 weeks old for about 3 weeks - came back - looking like skin and bones - scrammed into the house and took a long time for anyone to hold him (which was me and that's why he's mine - he was a big head attached to a scrawny body and when you picked him up - his eyeballs popped out totally traumatized - he had a freaking awful time out in the wild)

But all the rescue kitties had some ... differences. My big guy (I.T. Kitty) is gorgeous and is big and getting bigger - and totally enjoys being brushed (unusual) but make a big sound and my big IT boy is sliding his big butt as best he can under the couch - and to finally peel him out - he's a freaking psychotic mess - it doesn't take me long to settle him down but - man. someone did something to him out there. He and I have bonded and so when he has an event - like two days ago - I can handle him and he's fine after a few minutes - but before that - he's a frozen popsicle somewhere that has lasted sometimes for 2 days.

hehe fuzz ball just decided to jump on my bed to stare at me and purr.


But My main question is with a trait that all of them do - and that's when they are happy and comfortable - they all reach around and (most of the time) gently knaw ya - perhaps just a little bite - perhaps putting the teeth in - but not hard and leaving them there.

Rather a ferile response. Like years ago when I happened to go into a park that was inundated with cats and all these pretty and WAY TOO FREAKING friendly cats were there and wanted to literally crawl over you - until you went to direct them, handle them, put them down - and then they kinda bit - but came back. It was soo sad. They were neglected ---- but totally ferile.

I've only had minimal exposure to this ... anyone know (hope) they grow out of this stuff with a lot of one on one?

Anyone? I'm not pleased with a couple of these cats I'm living with doing this - especially while one has been officially (YAY) adopted by me - but I'm thinking of taking another...

help?
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 10:51 PM   #2
hos13
Senior Member
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude View Post
4 out of 5 cats in this house are rescue kitties -- rescued at maybe 4 wks old and handled and fed - but then my cat and another escaped when they was about 10 weeks old for about 3 weeks - came back - looking like skin and bones - scrammed into the house and took a long time for anyone to hold him (which was me and that's why he's mine - he was a big head attached to a scrawny body and when you picked him up - his eyeballs popped out totally traumatized - he had a freaking awful time out in the wild)

But all the rescue kitties had some ... differences. My big guy (I.T. Kitty) is gorgeous and is big and getting bigger - and totally enjoys being brushed (unusual) but make a big sound and my big IT boy is sliding his big butt as best he can under the couch - and to finally peel him out - he's a freaking psychotic mess - it doesn't take me long to settle him down but - man. someone did something to him out there. He and I have bonded and so when he has an event - like two days ago - I can handle him and he's fine after a few minutes - but before that - he's a frozen popsicle somewhere that has lasted sometimes for 2 days.

hehe fuzz ball just decided to jump on my bed to stare at me and purr.


But My main question is with a trait that all of them do - and that's when they are happy and comfortable - they all reach around and (most of the time) gently knaw ya - perhaps just a little bite - perhaps putting the teeth in - but not hard and leaving them there.

Rather a ferile response. Like years ago when I happened to go into a park that was inundated with cats and all these pretty and WAY TOO FREAKING friendly cats were there and wanted to literally crawl over you - until you went to direct them, handle them, put them down - and then they kinda bit - but came back. It was soo sad. They were neglected ---- but totally ferile.

I've only had minimal exposure to this ... anyone know (hope) they grow out of this stuff with a lot of one on one?

Anyone? I'm not pleased with a couple of these cats I'm living with doing this - especially while one has been officially (YAY) adopted by me - but I'm thinking of taking another...

help?

My wifes cats do that, I have no ideal why, but they know and that is what matters to them.
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 10:55 PM   #3
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUtYP52Ijvc
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 11:01 PM   #4
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Because they were born outside, the mother probably moved them from place to place, whichever was safest. It could be a learned reaction, a protective one perhaps. Claiming you as theirs. They literally cannot pick you up to move you but the inlaid manner is still demonstrated.

OR

An action of controlling maybe. Once the cat bites, you stop what you are doing to avoid deeper bites, right? They were not born into human relationships and the bonding might not be there. They are communicating to you that they are watching your every move. They cannot understand human behaviour and movements.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 11:10 PM   #5
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
Thread Starter
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Because they were born outside, the mother probably moved them from place to place, whichever was safest. It could be a learned reaction, a protective one perhaps. Claiming you as theirs. They literally cannot pick you up to move you but the inlaid manner is still demonstrated.

OR

An action of controlling maybe. Once the cat bites, you stop what you are doing to avoid deeper bites, right? They were not born into human relationships and the bonding might not be there. They are communicating to you that they are watching your every move. They cannot understand human behaviour and movements.
Yeah it's like a "loving bite" of sorts - I've watched the three of them lay together and groom and they do the same thing -

So that means I'm ... one of them? (j/k - but actually not). See I'm trying to stop some of this stuff - as when I move on from this place with one or two of these guys - one of the little females has totally adopted me - in fact she's on my pillow now - BUT - I CANNOT have them nibbling my family.

Cause sometimes the nibbling gets playful and goes to full blown chomp - which of course I can sense coming from this little spitfire kitty. I'm sure they will settle down as they get older.

But these guy just seem to be retaining this biting thing - although I do think my roommate's girlfriend is the culprit (think she really messes with the cats hard - meaning plays hard with them and does not reprimand for biting, etc) so reinforcement for bad behavior is more on my part. I think anyway. So I basically leave my room open all day and eve so a couple of them can come and go and sleep in my room whenever.

I sooo need outta here.
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 11:15 PM   #6
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
To be honest with you, when my kitten did that, no discipline worked on him He only fought more. So what did I do? I bit him on his pads. A firm bite that didn't hurt him, just gave him the message that I was the boss, not him.

From that point on, he was very careful not to hurt me. Even when I am force hugging him, he puts his paws on my nose and pushes me away. No claws. But when I do that and he gets pissed off, he slowly increased the pressure he puts on the claws. So I respect that and back off.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 PM.