Just bought an apartment (one bedroom, top floor on 2nd story at the end of the building so only one neighbour).
Good spot but dodgy apartment condition. Original condition from the 60s when the building was built. Same tenant for 20 years and no work done. I am moving there in 3 weeks time and hope to live in it as I do the repairs/renovations. I have no experience (28 year old office worker). I will pay for professionals for the parts I cannot do myself.
*I own the one next to it which is professionaly renovated nicely
Short term: Live in one and rent out the other,
Longterm: Can combine if need extra space (eg start family). Building is planned to have at least 10-20 yr life before land is redeveloped.
(see pictures for potential ideas)
SHORT TERM: need to renovate place to live in it.
So far I have (just a bare minimum):
1) Ceiling: to be fixed by seller
2) Brickwork: would like to keep this if possible (less effort then rendering and painting but would like ideas for how I can make it look nice). Otherwise, perhaps plaster?
3) In built wardrobe for bedroom
4) Flooring: Currently rope like carpet, probably lino main room and carpeted bedroom
5) Sand the cupboards and doors, repaint and resurface where necessary
6) Hide piping
7) New fridge
8) New oven
9) Either bleach the toilet or get a new one. Replace lid with a new white one
10) Replace shower faucet
11) New vanity cabinet (optional)
12) New shower screen (optional)
13) Tiling (optional)
14) Sand and paint doorway
15) Add security Door
16) Add extra windows on South side of building (brick) ( facing park)
17) Internal heater for bathroom
18) Extra lighting for apartment, eg downlights
*that would be the view if I put a window in, except it would be over the trees as I took that picture from the ground
Would love ideas for what to do or what could be done.