Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Race challenge from a friend

    So a few weeks ago i mentioned that i took a friend out for a bike ride as he had been showing interest. Took him for a 16.5 mile ride, we averaged 13.17mph. A about a week later i sort of tricked him into a 27 mile ride. I finished about 5 mins before him (let lose at the end) and my average was 13.3mph (since i was riding with him...).

    That 16.5 mile loop is a shorter version of that 26 mile loop. His challenge to me is a race where he takes that short loop and i take the long loop.

    I'm pondering if i'm raising or lowering his avg speed when i ride with him, if i effect it at all (i try to let him set the pace). I do that 26 mile loop at about 17mph but not when i'm trying to beat him in a race.

    At his speed it would take about 1:10:00 for him. For me to do 26 miles in that time would mean i would be riding at 22mph...not gonna happen.

    I can only hope that he rides slow and i ride fast. My goal is to do it in @ 18.5. I'm also going to purpose a 10 min head start for myself.

    Should be interesting either way. Inspired by the pro's i'm considering hunting down 30mg of adderall, you know...just cuz

  2. #2
    Senior Member JMT114's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rock Island, IL
    My Bikes
    LeMond Chambery, Gary Fisher Marlin
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will you ensure you get your full 10 minutes...or that he rides the entire route?
    My name's Jim, but most people call me...Jim

  3. #3
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMT114 View Post
    How will you ensure you get your full 10 minutes...or that he rides the entire route?
    Faith. He knows i'm more a cyclist than him...this is just a friendly competition.

  4. #4
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strap a GPS on him. Just to be sure.

  5. #5
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I intend on passing him

  6. #6
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut one of his tires almost all the way though, so that at some point during the race, the tire will split, the tube will poke through, and kapow! It's all over for Mr. Racer Guy!

  7. #7
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be a wuss Tim...race for pinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  8. #8
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Don't be a wuss Tim...race for pinks.
    F that, i've put nearly 2 g's into my bike. He bought his from the Iowa City bike library for $200

  9. #9
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    F that, i've put nearly 2 g's into my bike. He bought his from the Iowa City bike library for $200
    Why bother if you don't have the cojones?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  10. #10
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You gotta grow 'em somehow

  11. #11
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of which, he just told me he "wants to lift" tomorrow. Whateve, i'm still gonna try and do it @ 18.5

  12. #12
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you win, take his bike. If he wins and tries to take your bike, just tell him you left the title certificate at home.

    Then take his bike.

  13. #13
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    So a few weeks ago i mentioned that i took a friend out for a bike ride as he had been showing interest. Took him for a 16.5 mile ride, we averaged 13.17mph. A about a week later i sort of tricked him into a 27 mile ride. I finished about 5 mins before him (let lose at the end) and my average was 13.3mph (since i was riding with him...).

    That 16.5 mile loop is a shorter version of that 26 mile loop. His challenge to me is a race where he takes that short loop and i take the long loop.

    I'm pondering if i'm raising or lowering his avg speed when i ride with him, if i effect it at all (i try to let him set the pace). I do that 26 mile loop at about 17mph but not when i'm trying to beat him in a race.

    At his speed it would take about 1:10:00 for him. For me to do 26 miles in that time would mean i would be riding at 22mph...not gonna happen.

    I can only hope that he rides slow and i ride fast. My goal is to do it in @ 18.5. I'm also going to purpose a 10 min head start for myself.

    Should be interesting either way. Inspired by the pro's i'm considering hunting down 30mg of adderall, you know...just cuz :rolley es:
    what's up with that?


    btw - didn't you get the memo? average speed is virtually meaningless.

  14. #14
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    what's up with that?
    He told me not to wait, he got caught at a light. It was the last 2 miles going to our apartment, he's a big boy...knows how to get home (and my g/f had just pulled up from chicago, i had my own priorities at that point)


    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    btw - didn't you get the memo? average speed is virtually meaningless.
    Virtually meaningless unless you're comparing it to someone riding on the same road at the same time and the goal is to finish faster than them.

    Come on botto...use your head.

  15. #15
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    He told me not to wait, he got caught at a light. It was the last 2 miles going to our apartment, he's a big boy...knows how to get home (and my g/f had just pulled up from chicago, i had my own priorities at that point)




    Virtually meaningless unless you're comparing it to someone riding on the same road at the same time and the goal is to finish faster than them.
    i could beat every non cycling friend of mine in a race too. big fraking deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    Come on botto...use your head.
    come on timmy, find yourself a real challenge.

  16. #16
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    i could beat every non cycling friend of mine in a race too. big fraking deal.



    come on timmy, find yourself a real challenge.
    You didn't read the thread did you? Shame on botto.

    My ride is 160% longer than his...brah

  17. #17
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    You didn't read the thread did you? Shame on botto.
    you didn't read what i was replying to, did you? Shame on timmy.

    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    My ride is 160% longer than his...brah
    and?

  18. #18
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    you didn't read what i was replying to, did you? Shame on timmy.
    There was no race that day, i just ended before he did

  19. #19
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    When you pass him, frame pump in spokes, FTW.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  20. #20
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    When you pass him, frame pump in spokes, FTW.
    Allez Cinzano!
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  21. #21
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    There was no race that day, i just ended before he did
    whatever. you missed the point. twice.

  22. #22
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Botto, pick up painting or something.

    I don't actually expect to win this race...that's not a challenge?

  23. #23
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Botto, if you do take up painting, I want a velvet elvis on a pinarello.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  24. #24
    Up on the Down Side CyLowe97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago(ish)
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    come on timmy, find yourself a real challenge.
    Yeah, Timmy. You ridin' or hidin' on May 31st?

    5/31 - CyLowe’s Inaugural BFNIC ‘Double or Nothing’ Metric

  25. #25
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    Botto, pick up painting or something.

    I don't actually expect to win this race...that's not a challenge?


    if you only knew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •