Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tommy Emanuel is my new favorite guitarist

    Just saw his version of classical gas, and then checked out some of his other work. It's official. New favorite guitarist.

  2. #2
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're just now getting to Tommy you have waited too long. His brother is awesome too and they frequently play together.

  3. #3
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I really missed out, eh?

  4. #4
    Kicked out of the Webelos bluebottle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenLi View Post
    Just saw his version of classical gas, and then checked out some of his other work. It's official. New favorite guitarist.
    Ugh. Too, too busy. Stop showing off and just play yer damn guitar.
    ______________________________________________

    Kicked out of the Webelos.

  5. #5
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebottle1 View Post
    Ugh. Too, too busy. Stop showing off and just play yer damn guitar.
    Yeah and imho classical gas is so cheesy it makes me cringe.

  6. #6
    carbon positive lifestyle carbonlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Heart of Darkness
    My Bikes
    I got a red bike, and I got an orange bike.
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes, I just checked it out, that was awful. I don't mind seeing a little flash, and I do like some of his work, but I don't think that's a good example from him.

    In any case I'd rather have me some Pierre Bensusan, or live in the past with all the great Michael Hedges videos on YouTube.
    Last edited by carbonlife; 05-11-08 at 12:00 PM.

  7. #7
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If classical guitar is your thing, check out Christopher Parkening.

  8. #8
    Senior Member spunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonlife View Post
    In any case I'd rather have me some Pierre Bensusan, or live in the past with all the great Michael Hedges videos on YouTube.
    +100
    running makes your legs nasty. Cycling makes them look a weird way that i like.

  9. #9
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bleh. :b

  10. #10
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally this is one of my favorite Emanuel songs...
    One guitar...amazing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYzajpeAWuA

    The guy tunes his f'ing guitar in the middle of a riff that i couldn't play at 1/2 the same speed

  11. #11
    (((Fully Awake))) Serendipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
    My Bikes
    Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
    Posts
    5,598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Tuck...more lyrical.

    Stanley Jordan for the win though...
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

    無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持

  12. #12
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipper View Post
    I prefer Tuck...more lyrical.

    Stanley Jordan for the win though...


    Yes.... and no. and then non and no. and... a little of both!


    I remember seeing Tuck's duet with his wife Patty on BET - it was a music video of them doing a Hendrix medley of castles made of sand/little wing - I thought it was pretty cool. In fact I bought their CD at tower records and aside from that Hendrix medley and a solo guitar piece 'europa' (which was 'supoibe' ) - I thought the rest of their album was kind of suck (except for a few Stevie tunes which were ~ alright).

    Also - I really like that 'man in the mirror' cover - wow, good stuff.. But you know what, then I saw them playing that little wing/castles medley on youtube (at a live venue) - and the guy played the bridge and the solo part (and the end of the little wing interlude part) - 'exactly' the same as he played it on the album version... and I thought - okay srsly, that was... lame. really, really lame.


    And serendipper... isn't this Stanley Jordan mostly all virtuosity and technical wonder-boy and a little short on substance - and you know... 'soul' ?.. As impressive as he is, he always seemed kind of gimmicky to me. Is it me? - am I missing something?

  13. #13
    carbon positive lifestyle carbonlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Heart of Darkness
    My Bikes
    I got a red bike, and I got an orange bike.
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red house View Post
    I remember seeing Tuck's duet with his wife Patty on BET <snip> But you know what, then I saw them playing that little wing/castles medley on youtube (at a live venue) - and the guy played the bridge and the solo part (and the end of the little wing interlude part) - 'exactly' the same as he played it on the album version... and I thought - okay srsly, that was... lame. really, really lame.
    Tuck's a phenom but another guy who goes a little overboard for my taste. One thing I like about Pierre Bensusan is that he basically improvises every piece he plays in concert. The more familiar you are with his CDs, the more you hear the differences. I was astounded when I saw him play twice in the same week, and the pieces that he played in both concerts (about 50% of the set) were significantly different from one day to the next.

    I remember I first saw Stanley Jordan on Carson; he played Moon River and an upbeat piece, I think original. Everyone was amazed. Then I saw him in concert and he noodled on the guitar for an hour and put everyone to sleep. No stage presence or ability to put on a show. Leslie West made a comment after listening to a Stanley Jordan track. He said the music has to stand on its own (without the razzle dazzle), and he said Jordan played sloppy, and either he or someone else said that Jordan doesn't play bass lines like a bass player would. Then there's the problem of lack of dynamic range with his playing style.

  14. #14
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbonlife, do you play?

    The reason I ask is that sometimes it's genuinely not just "showmanship", but just getting into the music. Even in my mostly classical training on string instruments, you see it alot. If you ever watch a string quartet, they really get into the music.

  15. #15
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonlife View Post
    Tuck's a phenom but another guy who goes a little overboard for my taste. One thing I like about Pierre Bensusan is that he basically improvises every piece he plays in concert. The more familiar you are with his CDs, the more you hear the differences. I was astounded when I saw him play twice in the same week, and the pieces that he played in both concerts (about 50% of the set) were significantly different from one day to the next.

    I remember I first saw Stanley Jordan on Carson; he played Moon River and an upbeat piece, I think original. Everyone was amazed. Then I saw him in concert and he noodled on the guitar for an hour and put everyone to sleep. No stage presence or ability to put on a show. Leslie West made a comment after listening to a Stanley Jordan track. He said the music has to stand on its own (without the razzle dazzle), and he said Jordan played sloppy, and either he or someone else said that Jordan doesn't play bass lines like a bass player would.
    Then there's the problem of lack of dynamic range with his playing style.

    Yeah... some of his bass lines didn't sound right in the youtube clips I've seen (of him when he was younger) .. btw, what does this mean? - the lack of 'dynamic range' ?

  16. #16
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red house View Post
    Yeah... some of his bass lines didn't sound right in the youtube clips I've seen (of him when he was younger) .. btw, what does this mean? - the lack of 'dynamic range' ?
    Dynamics in music usually means volume. I'm not certain if it means that in this context.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Durham,NC.
    My Bikes
    Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenLi View Post
    Just saw his version of classical gas, and then checked out some of his other work. It's official. New favorite guitarist.
    Oh yeah! Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo
    The guy is an Alien.

  18. #18
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jens5 View Post
    Oh yeah! Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo
    The guy is an Alien.



    Yeah, alright... that's some respectable guitar strummin there. But... he's no Joe


    ..here's some more uptempo Joe .. (you know, if anybody wanna compare apples with apples and teh orange w/ oranges).



    Seriously ppl.. that was some nice strummin - but you know, isn't straight-up 12 bar blues so like, you know.. cliche and stuff by now? Yes, yes it is - blame Clapton, but the 12 bar blues and real ''virtuosity'' - are just kind of a pointless combination. It's like serving up gourmet varieties of vanilla - no matter how you make it -- it's still just vanilla! .. People like Clapton played those 12 bars into the ground - cuz that's all people like Clapton and this Emanuel guy knows how to play. It's like extra notes outside of the blues box and chords other than the I IV and V - exist outside of their dimension, outside of their 12 bar three chorded flat-world ... come on ppl, branch out dooods... if white people like Joe Pass could learn some harmonic sophistication and learn to play ''outside the box'' - then what is Claptons excuse... and Stevie Ray Vaughn's excuse? What kind of ''virtuoso'' - prides themselves on being musically illiterate - and refusing to learn new stuff? ... Why do people worship their playing abilities so? .. They only learned to do 'one' single thing - that they did very well... over and over and over again... bleh!! ... America - wake up!!
    Last edited by red house; 05-11-08 at 06:05 PM.

  19. #19
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red house View Post
    Yeah, alright... that's some respectable guitar strummin there. But... he's no Joe


    ..here's some more uptempo Joe .. (you know, if anybody wanna compare apples with apples and teh orange w/ oranges).



    Seriously ppl.. that was some nice strummin - but you know, isn't straight-up 12 bar blues so like, you know.. cliche and stuff by now? Yes, yes it is - blame Clapton, but the 12 bar blues and real ''virtuosity'' - are just kind of a pointless combination. It's like serving up gourmet varieties of vanilla - no matter how you make it -- it's still just vanilla! .. People like Clapton played those 12 bars into the ground - cuz that's all people like Clapton and this Emanuel guy knows how to play. It's like extra notes outside of the blues box and chords other than the I IV and V - exist outside of their dimension, outside of their 12 bar three chorded flat-world ... come on ppl, branch out dooods... if white people like Joe Pass could learn some harmonic sophistication and learn to play ''outside the box'' - then what is Claptons excuse... and Stevie Ray Vaughn's excuse? What kind of ''virtuoso'' - prides themselves on being musically illiterate - and refusing to learn new stuff? ... Why do people worship their playing abilities so? .. They only learned to do 'one' single thing - that they did very well... over and over and over again... bleh!! ... America - wake up!!
    Dood jazz ain't nothin but blues musicians screwing up and claiming it's for real. srsly

    No blues is not dead. Blues may be dead for YOU but thats a different story. There will always be the young lad or lass who never heard it before and it will sweep them into the blues never land for ever.

    This Pass guy makes me want to sleep. But Albert king makes me want to make love to the ladies know what I mean? iT's primal. It's raw. It's real!
    Last edited by jfmckenna; 05-12-08 at 08:01 PM.

  20. #20
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come visist chicago for a few weeks and try and tell me that blues is dead then.

  21. #21
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmckenna View Post
    Dood jazz ain't nothin but blues musicians screwing up and claiming it's for real. srsly

    No blues is not dead. Blues may be dead for YOU but thats a different story. There will always be the young lad or lass who never heard it before and it will sweep them into the blues never land for ever.

    This Pass guy makes me want to sleep.
    But Albert king makes me want to make love to the ladies know what I mean? iT's primal. It's raw. It's real!


    dood. uhm. Albert King is... dead.


    And what ever he could do - Jimi Hendrix could do at least ten times better.. okay. We are clear about that, I hope.


    .

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Durham,NC.
    My Bikes
    Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red house View Post
    Yeah, alright... that's some respectable guitar strummin there. But... he's no Joe


    ..here's some more uptempo Joe .. (you know, if anybody wanna compare apples with apples and teh orange w/ oranges).



    Seriously ppl.. that was some nice strummin - but you know, isn't straight-up 12 bar blues so like, you know.. cliche and stuff by now? new stuff? ... Why do people worship their playing abilities so? .. They only learned to do 'one' single thing - that they did very well... over and over and over again... bleh!! ... America - wake up!!
    I love Joe Pass and respect his musicianship. But if your talking versatility on a new plain, Emmanuel's the man. He's not just all about 12 bar blues. His improvisational interpretation of almost any musical format or genre is amazing. Listen to some of his other stuff if you are so inclined. Admittedly, I may look at this from a different perspective as I've made my living playing guitar in many musical forms for the past 40 years. And again, it's just our musical opinion's isn't it?

    Richard

  23. #23
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jens5 View Post
    I love Joe Pass and respect his musicianship. But if your talking versatility on a new plain, Emmanuel's the man. He's not just all about 12 bar blues. His improvisational interpretation of almost any musical format or genre is amazing. Listen to some of his other stuff if you are so inclined. Admittedly, I may look at this from a different perspective as I've made my living playing guitar in many musical forms for the past 40 years. And again, it's just our musical opinion's isn't it?

    Richard

    I guess.. but you know, if the he plays a blues with 3 chords - over 12 bars... well, then - that's what it is. It is what it is... But if he's about more than just the 12 bar blues and can branch out, then sure - I'd love to hear it... pls to post the link for us, show me teh money!



  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Durham,NC.
    My Bikes
    Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red house View Post
    I guess.. but you know, if the he plays a blues with 3 chords - over 12 bars... well, then - that's what it is. It is what it is... But if he's about more than just the 12 bar blues and can branch out, then sure - I'd love to hear it... pls to post the link for us, show me teh money!


    Just type in his name in You tube and look if your interested, or of course any recording, be it Classical, Jazz, whatever.

    Richard

  25. #25
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah.. I've already been there, done that.. He sounds like elvis. end of story.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •