Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-08, 05:06 PM   #1
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Internet techy persons needed

I need to know if there is a way I can limit consumption of my kB upload/download when someone uses the router this computer is hooked up to. Is there anyway I can set a limit?
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 10:16 PM   #2
banerjek
Portland Fred
 
banerjek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
Posts: 11,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ123 View Post
I need to know if there is a way I can limit consumption of my kB upload/download when someone uses the router this computer is hooked up to. Is there anyway I can set a limit?
The short answer is that some routers will let you do this, and some won't. This would definitely be an RTFM issue.
banerjek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 09:50 AM   #3
hos13
Senior Member
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ123 View Post
I need to know if there is a way I can limit consumption of my kB upload/download when someone uses the router this computer is hooked up to. Is there anyway I can set a limit?
Depends on the router.

Enterprise Cisco routers can do rate limiting based on source IP or source MAC address. What type off router do you have?
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 10:54 AM   #4
vtjim
Belt drive!
 
vtjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If it's not bandwidth you really want, but priority, you can also put your computer at a higher priority than the other computer. Like I have our TiVo set to a priority lower than our 2 computers so it doesn't bog down the network getting content.
vtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 11:21 AM   #5
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a Belkin 54G. How do I set this priority thing?
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 11:33 AM   #6
hos13
Senior Member
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ123 View Post
It's a Belkin 54G. How do I set this priority thing?
I looked at Belkin's site and I didn't that you could, perhaps you could contact Belkin.

But if you can do it there is some info you need.

1. Do you run your router as DHCP server, if so you will probably want to do it based on MAC address
2. If you do not run DHCP then you can do it based on the IP

If you do DHCP your Wifi should be set up for MAC based authentication, if it isn't someone could get on your network and use as much bandwidth as they want.
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 03:49 AM   #7
mlts22 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hos13 View Post
I looked at Belkin's site and I didn't that you could, perhaps you could contact Belkin.

But if you can do it there is some info you need.

1. Do you run your router as DHCP server, if so you will probably want to do it based on MAC address
2. If you do not run DHCP then you can do it based on the IP

If you do DHCP your Wifi should be set up for MAC based authentication, if it isn't someone could get on your network and use as much bandwidth as they want.
MAC is easily forged if someone wants on badly enough. It is a security measure, but I'd combine MAC filtering with WPA2-PSK, or perhaps WPA-PSK if your wireless stuff doesn't work with WPA2. In either case, use a long password (20+ chars at the minimum, I use all 63 chars with a random password generator, and store the password on a USB flash drive to paste into machines... its way overkill, but I don't need to worry about that security avenue) Don't bother using WEP... even a Windows Smartphone can break that if someone sits around long enough.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 05:50 AM   #8
hos13
Senior Member
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
MAC is easily forged if someone wants on badly enough. It is a security measure, but I'd combine MAC filtering with WPA2-PSK, or perhaps WPA-PSK if your wireless stuff doesn't work with WPA2. In either case, use a long password (20+ chars at the minimum, I use all 63 chars with a random password generator, and store the password on a USB flash drive to paste into machines... its way overkill, but I don't need to worry about that security avenue) Don't bother using WEP... even a Windows Smartphone can break that if someone sits around long enough.

you are absolutely correct, the mac auth that I use a home an work is just another layer of security in addition to WPA2
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 06:51 AM   #9
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka
 
StupidlyBrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Central PA
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If it's p2p traffic and you want to be cooperative on your network, you may be able to cap up/down rates within the application.
StupidlyBrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 AM.