Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Dumb@s$ Jarhead mrt10x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park CO
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hard Boiled Eggs

    So how long before a hard boiled egg spoils? Ever? Kept in a refrigerator.

    Normally I call my mom with these kind of questions,, How do you bake a potato, how do you cook a turkey, but she is unavailable. You would think as a 41 year old confirmed bachelor I might know these things by now…. But alas I am still a work in progress.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  2. #2
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, give me a timeline.

    1 week, two weeks ... three? They do last a while - and it also depends on how fresh they were when they were hardboiled.

    Personally I gauge the "edibleness" of an aged HB egg by trying to peel it - and DAM - if I can't peel it and it feels dry and - oh just shoot the dam thing out. Yuckies.

    Personally 1 week to maybe 9-10 days is a possibility - but that's pushing it. In a Food service point of view - I would not serve HB that have been that long in captivity and not having something done with them ...

    But also - when in doubt - throw it out!

  3. #3
    Senior Member FXjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    12,593
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    So how long before a hard boiled egg spoils? Ever? Kept in a refrigerator.

    Normally I call my mom with these kind of questions,, How do you bake a potato, how do you cook a turkey, but she is unavailable. You would think as a 41 year old confirmed bachelor I might know these things by now…. But alas I am still a work in progress.
    During the Victorian Era, the term confirmed bachelor often was used as a euphemism for a gay man and is currently still in use in the United States and Great Britain.[3][4] In spite of the wider acceptance of gay people and same-sex relationships in recent years there are only little changes in this historic usage.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor
    Comedian Bill Hicks once said, "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a jet ski, and you never see an unhappy person riding a jet ski."

  4. #4
    Dumb@s$ Jarhead mrt10x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park CO
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FXjohn View Post
    During the Victorian Era, the term confirmed bachelor often was used as a euphemism for a gay man and is currently still in use in the United States and Great Britain.[3][4] In spite of the wider acceptance of gay people and same-sex relationships in recent years there are only little changes in this historic usage.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor
    Are you making a pass at me??
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  5. #5
    Senior Member FXjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    12,593
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just making sure you know what you're calling yourself
    Comedian Bill Hicks once said, "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a jet ski, and you never see an unhappy person riding a jet ski."

  6. #6
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a hard boiled egg tip: When you take them out of the boiling water, place them in ice water for 10 minutes to cool. That way you wont get that gross green border line between the whites and the yolks.

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  7. #7
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,489
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh really? Hmmm. I always wondered where that came from.

    I personally would only keep a hardboiled egg for three days max.

    Why do some eggs have two yolks? One time I got a whole dozen like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  8. #8
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne View Post
    Here's a hard boiled egg tip: When you take them out of the boiling water, place them in ice water for 10 minutes to cool. That way you wont get that gross green border line between the whites and the yolks.
    According to the American Egg Board, you place the egg in cool water, bring to a boil, let it boil for 1 minute, remove from heat and let it stand in the hot water for approximately 10 minutes, then place it in an ice bath or cold water to stop the cooking. If you allow the yolk to get to hot during cooking, it turns gray and gets that sulfur smell.

    Not sure on how long they stay good, but probably pretty long, considering they used to keep them in jars and sell them at convenience stores, ice houses, etc.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  9. #9
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    week or 2 easy in the shell. I think the jarred ones on countertops for seemingly ever were also pickled which helped w/ the shelf life.

  10. #10
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add that it is best to use eggs that are at least a week old for boiling. They tend to peel easier.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  11. #11
    chicken pecker ChristAir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    eastern NC
    My Bikes
    everything except a roadbike
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Why do some eggs have two yolks? One time I got a whole dozen like that.
    Twins. Multiple twins. Busy chickens.
    I'm just a Christian guy looking to get some good air- I'm ChristAir.

    Quote Originally Posted by lodi781 View Post
    Hey, sometimes ya gotta shake hands with your feelings....in your case, it's gonna be a long handshake....:D

  12. #12
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    week or 2 easy in the shell. I think the jarred ones on countertops for seemingly ever were also pickled which helped w/ the shelf life.
    http://www.netwellness.org/healthtop...boiledeggs.cfm

    I am finding that the cooking drastically reduces storage life. 3-5 days tops.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  13. #13
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    http://www.netwellness.org/healthtop...boiledeggs.cfm

    I am finding that the cooking drastically reduces storage life. 3-5 days tops.
    What about if you dye it?

  14. #14
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What if you tie dye it?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  15. #15
    Dumb@s$ Jarhead mrt10x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park CO
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I get a moderator to erase all proof that I apparently outed myself???
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  16. #16
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    Can I get a moderator to erase all proof that I apparently outed myself???
    Probably not. Not to worry though, you seem pretty straight compared to Chipcom. He is a total nancy.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  17. #17
    Dumb@s$ Jarhead mrt10x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park CO
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I am as straight as a die,, but this whole dont ask dont tell thing is as confusing as hell.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  18. #18
    My name is Mike, not Cal
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    Oh I am as straight as a die,, but this whole dont ask dont tell thing is as confusing as hell.
    The what? No, wait, don't tell me. Uuuuhhh?????
    "I got my lips chewed off by a dingo!" --David Letterman

  19. #19
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    According to the American Egg Board, you place the egg in cool water, bring to a boil, let it boil for 1 minute, remove from heat and let it stand in the hot water for approximately 10 minutes, then place it in an ice bath or cold water to stop the cooking. If you allow the yolk to get to hot during cooking, it turns gray and gets that sulfur smell.

    Not sure on how long they stay good, but probably pretty long, considering they used to keep them in jars and sell them at convenience stores, ice houses, etc.
    Egghead!

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  20. #20
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've kept them in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  21. #21
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
    I've kept them in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
    Keeping stuff in the fridge and it being safe to eat are not the same.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  22. #22
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne View Post
    Egghead!
    What the shell? I am an ordinary guy, just like the rest of the yolks around here. If you do not believe me, stop by the house and I can show you my photo albumen.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  23. #23
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Keeping stuff in the fridge and it being safe to eat are not the same.
    Hasn't killed me yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  24. #24
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
    Hasn't killed me yet.
    you have not stuffed me in your fridge yet.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  25. #25
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    you have not stuffed me in your fridge yet.
    You must still have been moving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •