Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig ManBearPig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    .
    My Bikes
    .
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ebay's New Feedback Policy -- WRONG!

    I got swindled a few weeks ago by a fraudster, using a stolen PayPal Account, who induced me to send expensive item to an address. Turns out that PayPal account was flagged as stolen and shut down. I was able to track down the owner of that account by phone, and PayPal had called him that day to report the fraud -- thousands of dollars he had been unaware of. The shipping address was used repeatedly. Now PayPal reversed the transaction and I owe $150 becaue it was an unconfirmed address. To make matters worse, the user is STILL ACTIVE -- eBay still has not shut them down.

    The icing on the cake -- due to eBay's new feedback policy -- I CAN'T LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. The seller bought 3 items since (really cheap items, like under 5 bucks), and so the user is generating more positive feedback.

    I am debating whether to give him a "positive" so I can write in the NEGATIVE feedback the criminal deserves.


    WTF, Ebay!?!? Is this not THE dumbest rule they've ever implemented??
    ...

  2. #2
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they caught a lot of flack from it when they first did it. The thing is that the account should be shut down, you need to report it to ebay and it will be...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    I got swindled a few weeks ago by a fraudster, using a stolen PayPal Account, who induced me to send expensive item to an address. Turns out that PayPal account was flagged as stolen and shut down. I was able to track down the owner of that account by phone, and PayPal had called him that day to report the fraud -- thousands of dollars he had been unaware of. The shipping address was used repeatedly. Now PayPal reversed the transaction and I owe $150 becaue it was an unconfirmed address. To make matters worse, the user is STILL ACTIVE -- eBay still has not shut them down.

    The icing on the cake -- due to eBay's new feedback policy -- I CAN'T LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. The seller bought 3 items since (really cheap items, like under 5 bucks), and so the user is generating more positive feedback.

    I am debating whether to give him a "positive" so I can write in the NEGATIVE feedback the criminal deserves.


    WTF, Ebay!?!? Is this not THE dumbest rule they've ever implemented??
    I'll admit I haven't used paypal or ebay in so long I can't remember how each work. Heres what I'll say about it #1 explain the whole situation in an email to ebay even if what you are asking them to do is not quote unquote "official" procedure you would be surprised they may take some kind of action anyway or at least investigate. #2 If you know what city the thief is in consider calling the local police there (don't call 911 find out what the police station local phone number is and call that). Even if they do nothing else its likely they will make a record of the incident and call every pawn shop in town and tell them to watch out for the goods.

    Its like in the military they say taking action on any plan no matter how hastily slapped together is better than doing nothing

  4. #4
    unofficial roadie DirtPedalerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out in the woods you see
    My Bikes
    2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the feedback system as it was, was basically just blackmail.. even if you were not happy with the seller and/or item you wouldn't want to leave negative as 90% of the sellers won't leave you feedback until you left them feedback and of course if you leave them negative they will leave you a negative.. so you had bad sellers with high ratings.. as a buyer I like the policy.. as a seller I like it too, as I always leave positive as soon as someone paid for an item.. I've never been given a negative and have sold over 100 items on ebay..

    the fraud you compain of is not a product of the feedback system. no different than someone with stolen credit cards or checks going to a brick and mortar store with them.. Sadly it's a part of business these days.
    I only pedal uphill.

  5. #5
    1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig ManBearPig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    .
    My Bikes
    .
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The customer service at eBay is effin' incompetent. The rep who fielded my complaint e-mail mischaracterized it, sent me a reply that it was a PayPal issue and that just because eBay owns them they don't have access to PayPal. As far as they're concerned, the fact that the eBay user is doing fraud doesn't matter if it's with a PayPal account.
    ...

  6. #6
    1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig ManBearPig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    .
    My Bikes
    .
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left "positive feedback" with the message, FRAUD - Using STOLEN PayPal Account! Beware! Why hasn't user been shut down!?
    ...

  7. #7
    unofficial roadie DirtPedalerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out in the woods you see
    My Bikes
    2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is the 150 a standard charge or like 10% of the item price or something?

    well ebay and paypal are essentially separate, in large corporations departments have to bill other departments for things to keep the balance sheets straight. another crazy part of doing business
    I only pedal uphill.

  8. #8
    1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig ManBearPig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    .
    My Bikes
    .
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $150 was the item price. I got paid $150 with the stolen account, and after the item was delivered (confirmed by FedEx) they reversed the fee.
    ...

  9. #9
    unofficial roadie DirtPedalerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out in the woods you see
    My Bikes
    2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh i guess expensive item is relative.. i was thinking it was like $1500.

    I'd file a police report, then check with the boys down at the crime lab, they've got four more detectives working on the case


    I'd call paypal too
    Last edited by DirtPedalerB; 06-22-08 at 09:29 PM.
    I only pedal uphill.

  10. #10
    1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig ManBearPig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    .
    My Bikes
    .
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtPedalerB View Post
    oh i guess expensive item is relative.. i was thinking it was like $1500.

    I'd file a police report, then check with the boys down at the crime lab, they've got four more detectives working on the case


    I'd call paypal too
    Are they working in shifts? Ha! (Lebowski reference?)

    I did call PayPal. The reason I am so pissed is PayPal expects me to cover the $150 -- dey want zer money Lebowski!
    ...

  11. #11
    Warrior Cyclist cycle17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    My Bikes
    07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
    Posts
    1,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebay's new feedback policy is total Bull8hit!! I haven't sold anything on Ebay since the policy change.
    Just Do It..

  12. #12
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your issue, as frustrating as it is has nothing to do with the new eBay feedback policy. Whats going to happen when the rightful owner of the hacked account gets it back? He will have feedback that they don't deserve.

    The old feedback system was just blackmail. Some sellers could just be total jerks after you won an item and there was nothing you could do about it without getting retaliatory negative feedback that you didn't deserve.

    Regards, Anthony

  13. #13
    1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig ManBearPig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    .
    My Bikes
    .
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Your issue, as frustrating as it is has nothing to do with the new eBay feedback policy. Whats going to happen when the rightful owner of the hacked account gets it back? He will have feedback that they don't deserve.
    No, I think it's a bull**** ebay account -- the eBay account is owned by the fraudster, and he uses stolen PayPal accounts to pay for items.
    ...

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtPedalerB View Post
    I'd file a police report, then check with the boys down at the crime lab, they've got four more detectives working on the case
    I wouldnt hold out much hope for the tape deck.. or the creedence

  15. #15
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •