Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-08, 03:41 PM   #1
Sledbikes
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sledbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no bird is a match for a airsoft gun



from blog
Quote:
If you're walking or bicycling around the city and see a bird that looks like the one in the above photo, you best start heading in the opposite direction. It's a red-winged blackbird, it's nesting, and it's a mean SOB. Get just a wee bit too close to its nest, and you're likely to feel a pecking and/or clawing at your head.

It happened to Holly Grosso. The businesswoman was on her cell phone, walking along West Grand Avenue near Rockwell Street on Wednesday, when the bird—dubbed "Hitchcock" by area workers—made its move.

"Something just came down, pecked me in the head, took my hair and started flying away," she said. "It's so bizarre. It's this little bird."


The birds especially like to go after bikers, with a report of one bird getting so aggressive a person lost control of their bike and fell on the sidewalk -- which would be a shoo-in winner on America's Funniest Home Videos.

Has anyone here had a run in with one of these *******s?
we had these on my block but i took care of them with extreme non lethal predjudice
Sledbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 03:45 PM   #2
artifice
superArti
 
artifice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnersoter
Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen them, never had an issue though.

Its the Pigeons I have issues with.
__________________
i woke up one morning and i stepped out of bed | had to get a bike, had to paint it red
Of all the treasures I have, it’s the memories that are the most precious.
artifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 03:55 PM   #3
Sledbikes
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sledbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
I've seen them, never had an issue though.

Its the Pigeons I have issues with.
neither did i. but when the ****er swooped down on me this morning i made sure he wouldnt come back, so far so good hopefully he or she wont come back at all.
Sledbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 04:04 PM   #4
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those little guys are no problem Just be glad you aren't dealing with a red tailed hawk....the can have a 6 or 7 ft wingspan and the talons are frightening.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 04:06 PM   #5
FightingPanther
Sledge Hammer
 
FightingPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: University of Pittsburgh
Bikes: 2008 Lemond - Buenos Aries
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
was out ridin and had one fly at head level about 3 feet ahead of me matching my speed for about 30 feet today...
FightingPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 04:14 PM   #6
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
No bird? Try it on a bald eagle.

And by the way, I've never had a problem with those things, but I don't get how in the world somebody could be such a pansy that they would get beat down by a tiny bird. Grow a pair, grab it, and smash it.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:02 PM   #7
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
No bird? Try it on a bald eagle.

And by the way, I've never had a problem with those things, but I don't get how in the world somebody could be such a pansy that they would get beat down by a tiny bird. Grow a pair, grab it, and smash it.
Just to let everyone know--Red-winged Blackbirds are native migratory birds and thus come under the jurisdiction of the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a formal treaty with Canada and Mexico. Blackbirds are protected by Federal law (Title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 21.43).

No, you don't get to kill them.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:12 PM   #8
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
If a bird pecks aggressively at my head, I will kill it, case closed, no room for debate. The remarkably corrupt federal government can go **** itself in that category.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:15 PM   #9
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
If a bird pecks aggressively at my head, I will kill it, case closed, no room for debate. The remarkably corrupt federal government can go **** itself in that category.
That remarkably corrupt federal government, along with the equally corrupt goverments of Canada and Mexico, is why there are still songbirds out there for Americans to enjoy. The treaty also covers birds such as ducks...geese....etc.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:16 PM   #10
Sledbikes
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sledbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
If a bird pecks aggressively at my head, I will kill it, case closed, no room for debate. The remarkably corrupt federal government can go **** itself in that category.
im sure theres a loophole cause i have nieces and nephews coming next weekend. that bird got lucky he didnt show up on saturday or else my truck wouldve had a new hood ornament.
Sledbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:19 PM   #11
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
That remarkably corrupt federal government, along with the equally corrupt goverments of Canada and Mexico, is why there are still songbirds out there for Americans to enjoy. The treaty also covers birds such as ducks...geese....etc.

East Hill

Hunters are the main reason that endangered animals of many types have made huge comebacks. Through self imposed fees and killing overpopulated species that cause problems, we have done a whole lot to keep nature balanced. But one thing almost any hunter will tell you is that if they are attacked by wildlife they will fight back. I'm of that mindset myself.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:23 PM   #12
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Dang Mich. It's a little bird f'gawwd's sake. Shoo it off! You too, Sled. You'd protect YOUR egglings, wouldn't you?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:25 PM   #13
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
A beak could poke an eye out without much difficulty. I value my eyes more than a pest.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:25 PM   #14
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!
 
ilikebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
Bikes: to many to list
Posts: 6,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"no bird is a match for a airsoft gun" Id LOVE to put you in a cage with an ostrich and watch you shoot it with your air soft gun! Then watch you get kicked into another dimension soon after!
__________________
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
ilikebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:29 PM   #15
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
Hunters are the main reason that endangered animals of many types have made huge comebacks. Through self imposed fees and killing overpopulated species that cause problems, we have done a whole lot to keep nature balanced. But one thing almost any hunter will tell you is that if they are attacked by wildlife they will fight back. I'm of that mindset myself.
Please, you don't need to tell me about hunters.

The treaty was signed due to the devastation wrought upon species such as the snowy egret, which were being wiped out.

Hunters were not nearly so magnanimous years ago:

http://www.adamgrimm.com/federal_stamp.html

The birds are defending their nest. If you kill the one bird, you also possibly kill all the nestlings as well, by removing one parent from the job of feeding the young.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:32 PM   #16
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have some red wings that visit our feeder. They'll take sunflower seeds right from my hand.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:35 PM   #17
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
The birds are defending their nest. If you kill the one bird, you also possibly kill all the nestlings as well, by removing one parent from the job of feeding the young.

East Hill
No kidding.

As for a beak poking out an eye, you'd must be not using it much if he can get that close to your face. So what difference would it make?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:41 PM   #18
bluebottle1
Kicked out of the Webelos
 
bluebottle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Red wings are nothing. Try a Texas mockingbird. They're born *******s. They'll take you on and then go after your family.
__________________
______________________________________________

Kicked out of the Webelos.
bluebottle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 05:47 PM   #19
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Please, you don't need to tell me about hunters.

The treaty was signed due to the devastation wrought upon species such as the snowy egret, which were being wiped out.

Hunters were not nearly so magnanimous years ago:

http://www.adamgrimm.com/federal_stamp.html

The birds are defending their nest. If you kill the one bird, you also possibly kill all the nestlings as well, by removing one parent from the job of feeding the young.

East Hill
The people who remember the days when hunting without limit was legal and nearly drove such species as Michigan white tails to extinction are pretty much extinct themselves. Those days are LONG gone, as is noted in your link. The current generation of outdoorsmen has been fixing the 80+ year old screw up, and doing a good job at it.

As for these birds, I've never been attacked by one so I don't even see the problem, but I'm not about to regret killing a jack ass at the risk of some jack ass off spring also dying. For all I know a crazed bird could have any number of diseases, like rabies. Is it insensitive of me to put my safety ahead of the life of some brats? Maybe, but that's how I am, and I am not alone by any means.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 06:00 PM   #20
Sledbikes
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sledbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Dang Mich. It's a little bird f'gawwd's sake. Shoo it off! You too, Sled. You'd protect YOUR egglings, wouldn't you?
there wasnt a nest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebikes View Post
"no bird is a match for a airsoft gun" Id LOVE to put you in a cage with an ostrich and watch you shoot it with your air soft gun! Then watch you get kicked into another dimension soon after!
that bird or you wont be a match for this, youll hear headlines of the worlds first "Holey Bird"
Sledbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 06:02 PM   #21
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
A garand?

That would look even more nasty than that scene in Pat Garret and Billy the Kid.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 06:18 PM   #22
Sledbikes
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sledbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
A garand?

That would look even more nasty than that scene in Pat Garret and Billy the Kid.
i want a AA12 but starting it goes for 4400$. i sold my model 700 so i couldnt kill it with a 243 grain sending that birdie into the afterlife as soup.

i just wanted to scare the bird off
Sledbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 06:29 PM   #23
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post

As for these birds, I've never been attacked by one so I don't even see the problem, but I'm not about to regret killing a jack ass at the risk of some jack ass off spring also dying. For all I know a crazed bird could have any number of diseases, like rabies. Is it insensitive of me to put my safety ahead of the life of some brats? Maybe, but that's how I am, and I am not alone by any means.

You are not much of a hunter, are you? Take the time to look up rabies, and tell me how it's transmitted.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 06:30 PM   #24
sirpoopalot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kill all the birds
sirpoopalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 06:35 PM   #25
Jasper Storm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Western Washington
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If people have to shoot something, they should go find a flock of starlings or house sparrows (introduced pests.)

I've been dive bombed by a hummingbird (male rufous) that didn't like me getting too close to some salmonberry in bloom. It was on my own property where I can legally discharge a firearm, but I was somehow able to resist any temptation to blow it to shreds. Must be my ripe old age of "over 13."
Jasper Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53 PM.