Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is anyone into offroad nitro RC cars?

    Just have a few questions.

    Just to start, are they actually as fun as they look?


    I apologize in advance for being a nerd.
    Last edited by elf 232; 06-27-08 at 09:37 PM.
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  2. #2
    Senior Member hos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    552 LATA
    My Bikes
    2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to race electric and some nitro back in the mid 90's but nitro wasn't as refined as it is now.

    I still have my old cars as well as new. My Traxxas T-Max 3.3 is on bad***** truck. They are fun and they are expensive> This is one hobby I would not suggest getting into by buying a used untested car or truck. Typical the nitro engines have a limited life and can be cut very short by abuse. Most Nitro cars come RTR (ready to run) so you don't have to mess with the assemble of them as it can be very complex. However the engines do need to go through a proper break in stage, you will get a DVD with you truck or car on how to do this. Be ready to buy spares of everything from tires to spur gears, while the individual parts are all that much, their are just so many of them.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hos13 View Post
    I used to race electric and some nitro back in the mid 90's but nitro wasn't as refined as it is now.

    I still have my old cars as well as new. My Traxxas T-Max 3.3 is on bad***** truck. They are fun and they are expensive> This is one hobby I would not suggest getting into by buying a used untested car or truck. Typical the nitro engines have a limited life and can be cut very short by abuse. Most Nitro cars come RTR (ready to run) so you don't have to mess with the assemble of them as it can be very complex. However the engines do need to go through a proper break in stage, you will get a DVD with you truck or car on how to do this. Be ready to buy spares of everything from tires to spur gears, while the individual parts are all that much, their are just so many of them.
    Are electrics alot simpler i assume? I was just talkin to another guy on a different forum who has had his electric for years and hasnt done anything to it.
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  4. #4
    Pokes On Spokes JPradun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    Pedal Force ZX3
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Factory Team RC10GT the day it came out, but quit racing it a year later and haven't touched my RC cars since.

    OK I lied, I took out my E-Maxx (original) a month ago and it was awesome, but not the same as when I was sponsored by Associated.
    The quest for success: Collegiate Nationals:
    http://iliveonnitro.blogspot.com
    (Updated daily 3/26-4/4-: North Carolina training camp)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess im a sellout and want the "real thing", an nitro car, is this a just desire or is it absurd and electrics 10x better?

    http://www.projdm.com/assocciated-mg...977_15640.html

    Thoughts on this?
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  6. #6
    Senior Member hos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    552 LATA
    My Bikes
    2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
    Are electrics alot simpler i assume? I was just talkin to another guy on a different forum who has had his electric for years and hasnt done anything to it.
    They can be, depending on the car. I enjoy nitro over electric since I don't have to wait for my batteries to charge and maintain multi packs. I primarily raced electric off road and had a blast, the fun factor with nitro is about 100 times that over electric but the cost and maintenance of nitro is goes up as well. I'm not trying to discourage you from nitro but rather give you a realistic view. There are times I have parked them just so I would spend any more money on them. It is addicting, adding mods, custom bodies and such.

    Enjoy
    Last edited by hos13; 06-27-08 at 10:47 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member hos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    552 LATA
    My Bikes
    2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPradun View Post
    I bought a Factory Team RC10GT the day it came out, but quit racing it a year later and haven't touched my RC cars since.

    OK I lied, I took out my E-Maxx (original) a month ago and it was awesome, but not the same as when I was sponsored by Associated.
    I have an RC10GT and that is crazy fast truck, I have always like the Team Associated products.

  8. #8
    Senior Member hos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    552 LATA
    My Bikes
    2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
    I guess im a sellout and want the "real thing", an nitro car, is this a just desire or is it absurd and electrics 10x better?

    http://www.projdm.com/assocciated-mg...977_15640.html

    Thoughts on this?
    For few more bucks you can get a T-Maxx 2.5. You can upgrade to a 3.3 engine latter, parts and mods for the T-maxx are everywhere and easy to get. Traxxas also has a very good engine exchange program for upgrades and replacements.

    The truck you listed, I don't know anthing about and may be difficult to get replacement and upgrade parts for it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the HPI firestorm 10t?

    http://www.ehobbies.com/hpi10510.htm...mpaign=froogle


    390 + parts and other neccesaries would be too much for me.


    I hate to keep bothering you guys but you have been a lot more helpful then the guys on the RC forum.
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or possibly the traxxas jato 3.3, (thats the one i want, i just have to make it work financially)
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEFINETLY going for the jato 3.3, after watching vids of that thing on the tube i am just blown away by its power for the price (and im apparently not the only one its a very popular car) so the way i have it worked out is that im going to grab a job at a supermarket for about 2-3 weeks and get a few spare bucks.


    thread over
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  12. #12
    ..... Jynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    My Bikes
    2006 Cannondale CAAD8
    Posts
    4,823
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had nitro truck and electric buggies (just sold all my stuff) and I really prefer the electric. With the new brushless setups and LiPo batteries electric is far superior in every respect.

  13. #13
    was kung-fu fighting lodi781's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    My Bikes
    '00 schwinn moab disk/06 specialized stumpy fsr expert, 06 look565
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your gonna use it there awesome. I ran electrics at first. then around 23 went to nitro. I bought a ready to rur. Everyone said it was a POS. But I had fun with it, and learned alot ( like, buy ALOT of glow plugs) You'll burn through a few breaking in your engine. But I can't wait to buy another. I would go assosciated or hpi now...
    " The love you withhold is the pain you carry, lifetime after lifetime."

  14. #14
    Boosted Mr2 henria86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Klein's Merlin's
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hhehe ... turns back the time... Grasshopper, Rc10,Jrx Pro, Team Losi, Big Foot...it was expensive hobby
    I got out of it once i started to drive real cars an started to Modd them, but now im still modding real carz..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]TITANIUM BIKE CLUB #008

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    I have had nitro truck and electric buggies (just sold all my stuff) and I really prefer the electric. With the new brushless setups and LiPo batteries electric is far superior in every respect.
    For everything within 100 bucks of the jato that is electric, the jato beats it all, the electrics have a little bit better acceleration and top speed, but in a speed race the jato wins every time, also I hate charging batteries.
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what glow plugs do, but whats the general deal with them? do they break all the time? is there some alternative?
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  17. #17
    was kung-fu fighting lodi781's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    My Bikes
    '00 schwinn moab disk/06 specialized stumpy fsr expert, 06 look565
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that they break all the time. But on a new engine, you may go through two or three the first day breaking the engine in. You have to preheat them with a glow stick when starting the engine ( kind of like a diesel truck. But after the first few runs they last for a decent amount of time. Your local hobby shop can explain everything in detail. I think nitro cars are fun. I had a blast with mine, you should do it.
    " The love you withhold is the pain you carry, lifetime after lifetime."

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glow stick? Glow plugs? Starters? what else is there aside from the car itself that i need on this order?

    I dont have an RC car shop in my area
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  19. #19
    Roadie brian416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    1,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to race electrics trucks and buggies indoors on carpet every weekend. That was alot of fun, clean, setup and driving style end up being very important.

    I raced outdoors sometimes too, it was much easier. I've owned 2 XXX-NTs, fun trucks but nitro is just a pain really unless you're racing. Stick with electric to start, its one less thing to have to worry about

    here's one of them



    here's the other, prepped for some outdoor road racing with foams

  20. #20
    was kung-fu fighting lodi781's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    My Bikes
    '00 schwinn moab disk/06 specialized stumpy fsr expert, 06 look565
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
    Glow stick? Glow plugs? Starters? what else is there aside from the car itself that i need on this order?

    I dont have an RC car shop in my area
    Check out www.rccartips.com that will show you what you need.....by the way, noticed the lacrosse tag in your sig, nice..goalie here
    " The love you withhold is the pain you carry, lifetime after lifetime."

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lodi781 View Post
    Check out www.rccartips.com that will show you what you need.....by the way, noticed the lacrosse tag in your sig, nice..goalie here
    cool, defensemen here, there is talk of throwing me in goal next year for my varsity team, since i played like 3 years in rec.

    My brother was a goalie though.
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  22. #22
    was kung-fu fighting lodi781's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    My Bikes
    '00 schwinn moab disk/06 specialized stumpy fsr expert, 06 look565
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play a little D as well, but love the cage......i'm a glutton for punishment.....
    " The love you withhold is the pain you carry, lifetime after lifetime."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •