Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Basso, Tommaso, Ibex, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek
    Posts
    1,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dress Code at Church??

    OK so this rant is'nt for everyone, but I go to church every other Sunday being raised catholic and attending private catholic schools.

    I can't get over the slugs, border line white trash that come into church with ripped stained dale ernhardt nascar t-shirts, ripped jean shorts, smelly, trashy, halter tops w/ short shorts, metallica rules garb, etc.

    Not everyone, but enough. WTF! Growing up, if I even attempted to go to church looking like that I would be smacked.

    The demise of standards and discipline. Morals, values and ethics have also passed away

  2. #2
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    judge not, lest ye be judged.

  3. #3
    Senior Member NormDeplume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree that people should at least clean up before heading to a formal place of worship, but in the end, how people comport themselves at church is between them and God.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator making's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    Road bike
    Posts
    2,483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep sounds like they really need to be there. As the great Christian philosopher botto said, 'judge not".
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

  5. #5
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it all about who has the most faith?
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  6. #6
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    yep sounds like they really need to be there. As the great Christian philosopher botto said, 'judge not".
    MATTHEW 7:1
    Last edited by botto; 07-06-08 at 07:31 AM.

  7. #7
    RustyTainte substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    zilch
    Posts
    12,316
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My feelings are this:

    God is more concerned with your soul than your clothes.

    Isaiah 61:10 I will rejoice greatly in the LORD, My soul will exult in my God; For He has clothed me with garments of salvation, He has wrapped me with a robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

  8. #8
    blithering idiot jhota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    beautiful coastal South Carolina
    My Bikes
    1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. yes, they should have more respect for the church, themselves, and their fellow parishioners.
    2. at least they're in church, dude. doing better than i am, most Sundays.

  9. #9
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Society is much more informal than it used to be. I see people dress like bums for job interviews and have waitstaff at fancy restaurants address me and my wife as "you guys."

    I personally believe that not everything is internal, and one way to show respect for others is to go to some trouble to look and be nice. The good news is that if you are one of the few dinosaurs who actually believe this rubbish, you get treated like you're someone special.

  10. #10
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you seriously believe your god gives a fig what you wear or don't wear to worship?

    As I see it, you people need all the warm bodies you can muster.

  11. #11
    Lucky 47 crash66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The past
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Allez Elite
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substructure View Post
    Isaiah 61:10 I will rejoice greatly in the LORD, My soul will exult in my God; For He has clothed me with garments of salvation, He has wrapped me with a robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
    Wait....I've heard this somewhere before...


    Oh yes, it was in Pulp Fiction, right before Samuel Jackson offed that punk in the apartment.


    I'm a recovering Catholic myself, sorry to hear that the same old nonsense is going on, but not surprised.

    On a side note, one reason I love the TDF is that no one ever thanks God for helping them win a stage, although with 2 American teams this year, it's not out of the question now.
    Has anyone else noticed that 47 is a magic number?

  12. #12
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crash66 View Post
    On a side note, one reason I love the TDF is that no one ever thanks God for helping them win a stage, although with 2 American teams this year, it's not out of the question now.
    If one of the Yank teams wins, expect them to thank the military as well. I'm not sure why this is required at so many sporting events, but it is.

    I always found it strange that during the Cold War, we always criticized the commies for holding military parades and getting people to make declarations of allegiance at the drop of a hat. Now the Cold War is over, we've been going nuts on this stuff.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you rather that they not be at church?
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  14. #14
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,473
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of the time I was told I have to wear a dress/skirt if I wanted to be a guest at someone else's church. My nice dressy slacks outfit wasn't good enough. So I ended up not attending if a DRESS was more desired rather than my quest for religious teaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  15. #15
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crash66 View Post
    Wait....I've heard this somewhere before...

    Oh yes, it was in Pulp Fiction, right before Samuel Jackson offed that punk in the apartment.

    I'm a recovering Catholic myself, sorry to hear that the same old nonsense is going on, but not surprised.


    On a side note, one reason I love the TDF is that no one ever thanks God for helping them win a stage,
    you know this how?

    Quote Originally Posted by crash66 View Post
    although with 2 American teams this year, it's not out of the question now.
    1 american team, and don't even try and claim that columbia is an american team.

  16. #16
    Senior Member skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CO Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
    Posts
    1,033
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Reminds me of the time I was told I have to wear a dress/skirt if I wanted to be a guest at someone else's church. My nice dressy slacks outfit wasn't good enough. So I ended up not attending if a DRESS was more desired rather than my quest for religious teaching.
    Yep, organized religion these days is more about the organization than the religion.... Just my opinion, though.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    2010 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    Isn't it all about who has the most faith?
    Reverence is a huge part of faith. If you are faithful you have a certain level of respect and reverence for the house of the lord. Hence, you dress appropriately.

  18. #18
    Lucky 47 crash66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The past
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Allez Elite
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    you know this how?
    Dutch relatives and mother, who speaks 6 languages. Granted, she doesn't watch as much as I do, and can only certify never having heard an Italian, Spaniard, Dutchman, Frenchman, German or Brit thank Big J, but I'll take her word for it. Still reads plenty of foreign newspapers, too, never read a quote to that effect either.



    [/QUOTE]1 american team, and don't even try and claim that columbia is an american team.[/QUOTE]

    I'll take Bob Stapleton's word. Good enough for me, especially if the team is at the forefront of the cleanup. I'd be proud to have an American owner help turn things around.
    Has anyone else noticed that 47 is a magic number?

  19. #19
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect most of the Apostles, and likely Jesus, would have found it difficult to dress up for church. Paul said that they were often barely clothed, in rages, without a home. (Corinthians)

    You might want to read James 1 too, about honoring rich people, and treating the poor with contempt.

    I totally disagree, as you probably can tell. I think people should come as they are to God, we have enough hypocrisy in churches. We want people to dress up for us (it sure isn't for God, his dress code is no clothes... ). Then we bemoan that people don't go to church. I think I would be thrilled that people show up casual, instead as though they are going to a theater or something. After all, when I hang out with my friends, it isn't in a three piece suit.

    But, if your idea of church is theater, carry on.

  20. #20
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    I suspect most of the Apostles, and likely Jesus, would have found it difficult to dress up for church. Paul said that they were often barely clothed, in rages, without a home. (Corinthians)

    You might want to read James 1 too, about honoring rich people, and treating the poor with contempt.

    I totally disagree, as you probably can tell. I think people should come as they are to God, we have enough hypocrisy in churches. We want people to dress up for us (it sure isn't for God, his dress code is no clothes... ). Then we bemoan that people don't go to church. I think I would be thrilled that people show up casual, instead as though they are going to a theater or something. After all, when I hang out with my friends, it isn't in a three piece suit.

    But, if your idea of church is theater, carry on.
    I could not have said it better.
    Only thing I think I would add, there's a scripture that tells us not to worry how we are dressed. God clothed all the flowers of the fields and the animals in the world, and they don't worry about whether its their Sunday finest. We are to be of similar nature.

  21. #21
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Reminds me of the time I was told I have to wear a dress/skirt if I wanted to be a guest at someone else's church. My nice dressy slacks outfit wasn't good enough. So I ended up not attending if a DRESS was more desired rather than my quest for religious teaching.
    Amen Sister! Preach it!

    When I was a minister, I made sure everyone knew I cared not at all how people dress, just how they behaved. After all, I have seen more than my share of people dressed to the hilt, but inside were disgusting.

    When you think about it, the enemies of Jesus, the pharisees, were big time into appearance, and Jesus called them whitewashed tombs.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My chucrch is particularly particular about this and has had a good bit of dicussion on this subject, the way we look at it is as JoelS said, we will not go up to a visitor wearing a t-shirt and torn up jean shorts "to come back well dressed or dont come back at all", but the regular attenders or church members are asked, "if you were in court you would show respect to a judge who is a man, so if you before God or others who are trying, you should show Him and them as much respect"
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  23. #23
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,473
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what if someone does not have the means to purchase clothing that others perceive as "dress clothes"? There are homeless people in my area who do the best they can with what they have. Does this mean they aren't allowed to step foot into a church?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    I suspect most of the Apostles, and likely Jesus, would have found it difficult to dress up for church. Paul said that they were often barely clothed, in rages, without a home. (Corinthians)

    You might want to read James 1 too, about honoring rich people, and treating the poor with contempt.

    I totally disagree, as you probably can tell. I think people should come as they are to God, we have enough hypocrisy in churches. We want people to dress up for us (it sure isn't for God, his dress code is no clothes... ). Then we bemoan that people don't go to church. I think I would be thrilled that people show up casual, instead as though they are going to a theater or something. After all, when I hang out with my friends, it isn't in a three piece suit.

    But, if your idea of church is theater, carry on.
    Its not about looking nice, its about not distracting attention to yourself and showing that you care enough about others and your purpose there, the rich people in churches dress up no more than the poor people in our church, this is not what that verse refers to. In the early times or the Christian church, the wealthy would be given better seats, be greeted warmly at the doors, better respected, and etc. while the poor were hidden packed into the back areas and ignored. Your view of church has become twisted, you should talk to another pastor. (yes i know your were)
    elf 232 contra mundum.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    But what if someone does not have the means to purchase clothing that others perceive as "dress clothes"? There are homeless people in my area who do the best they can with what they have. Does this mean they aren't allowed to step foot into a church?
    Certainly not, the bible specifically says that those are the people that it is the church's duty to help, and if they will not accept help with food or clothing then we welcome them very warmly and certainly no worse (sometimes even more friendly) than all the regular attenders.
    elf 232 contra mundum.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •