Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-08, 07:21 AM   #1
peiffer83
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
peiffer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes: 2007 Giant TCR A1
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So your bill was $2.67

So you go for a group ride and go to breakfast and you ordered some eggs scrambled and rye bread and water. You give the waitress $3.25 so the tip was 58 cents or 22%. Was I in the wrong? Or not, everyone at work says I'm a cheap.
peiffer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:26 AM   #2
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well not exactly cheap, but you have to account into tip that if you sat there for a half hour, you have also used up that waiters table time, each waiter usually has 2-5 tables they wait on.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:26 AM   #3
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peiffer83 View Post
everyone at work says I'm a cheap.
They are correct.

... Brad
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:28 AM   #4
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. Should have made it like $4.00 even
Jerseysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:29 AM   #5
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guess I'd at least go a buck.
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:30 AM   #6
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I'd have tossed a buck, at least.

You're cheap.
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:31 AM   #7
peiffer83
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
peiffer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes: 2007 Giant TCR A1
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
Well not exactly cheap, but you have to account into tip that if you sat there for a half hour, you have also used up that waiters table time, each waiter usually has 2-5 tables they wait on.
Well i was only there for like 15 minutes, but the group was there for 30 total. So lets say the average tip was $1. She made about $19-20 in that half hour. That's more than i make. See if I would have had a bill of $8 and left $1.6 for a tip no one would complain. Its the same math.
peiffer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:32 AM   #8
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope, I'd have dropped a deuce for an $8 tab.
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:35 AM   #9
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!
 
ilikebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
Bikes: to many to list
Posts: 6,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peiffer83 View Post
Well i was only there for like 15 minutes, but the group was there for 30 total. So lets say the average tip was $1. She made about $19-20 in that half hour. That's more than i make. See if I would have had a bill of $8 and left $1.6 for a tip no one would complain. Its the same math.
Dude, your cheap.
__________________
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
ilikebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:35 AM   #10
Moskau
Evil Pony
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Iceland
Bikes: Trek 6000
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'll never fully understand this mandatory tipping custom.

I once got tipped and I almost felt insulted.
Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:36 AM   #11
dipy911
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Go to McDonalds --> no tip

Otherwise go with $1 minimum and don't tip to the cent.
$1 buffet no matter the cost.
dipy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:38 AM   #12
peiffer83
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
peiffer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes: 2007 Giant TCR A1
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipy911 View Post
Go to McDonalds --> no tip

Otherwise go with $1 minimum and don't tip to the cent.
$1 buffet no matter the cost.
OK I never new about this mandatory tip. geez
peiffer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:42 AM   #13
dipy911
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was in vegas and got the 99 cent breakfast. No tax. Left $2, or 100% tip.
dipy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 07:48 AM   #14
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds
 
KirkeIsWaiting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jersey Shore
Bikes: '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're lame.
next post please ...
__________________
Litespeed Siena, Campy
Peugeot U010, Deep V's in orange and fixed
Bridgestone X03 - the beer bike
Waterford R2200, Campy Chorus/Super Record Cobaltobrakes
Motobecane Tandem - Craigslist find
Belgium Bertin. an angel spared it and sent it my way.
Fuji Folding 4130 Mountain bike - Marlboro edition trash find
Specialized HR -A1, latest trash find (who throws bikes out??!!)
KirkeIsWaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:02 AM   #15
peiffer83
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
peiffer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes: 2007 Giant TCR A1
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkeIsWaiting View Post
You're lame.
next post please ...
I'm not lame, i got a massage and it was $79 and I left $25. Whatever.
peiffer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:02 AM   #16
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
massage = happy ending, breakfast, not so much.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:11 AM   #17
1fluffhead
Senior Member
 
1fluffhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: baltimore
Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peiffer83 View Post
Well i was only there for like 15 minutes, but the group was there for 30 total. So lets say the average tip was $1. She made about $19-20 in that half hour. That's more than i make. See if I would have had a bill of $8 and left $1.6 for a tip no one would complain. Its the same math.
That amount is pre-tax, which still needs to be declared. Alot of servers get allocated every year, which means at the end of the year they actually pay the government instead of getting a refund. Do you have health insurance? Servers usually only have it while working at the job. Otherwise they are paying out of pocket. Do you have a retirement fund? Only larger corporate restaurants provide this to their employees and even then you have to be there for 1 year +.
Do you deal with people all day that treat you like your sub human because you are serving them food/drink? Do you stand on your feet/walk for 8+ hours a day? Have you ever worked more than a year in food service? When you go to a bar to tip the bartender do you leave a buck for 1 beer? Why would breakfast be any different?

Servers are getting hit pretty hard right now because of the economy. People are still eating and drinking like they are paid, running their servers, but cheaping out at tip out time because the bills are getting bigger. If you can't afford to tip, don't eat out and be SERVED by someone else. Serve yourself at home and keep all the tip for yourself.

I am not trying to flame you, but there are many variables that you are not considering and even more that I am not even mentioning. Restaurant work is hard work, don't believe me, go give it a try and see how a change tip makes you feel.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by diff_lock2 View Post
so what if it's custom, are you suddenly NOT a jackass?

Last edited by 1fluffhead; 07-08-08 at 08:17 AM.
1fluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:27 AM   #18
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
15% minimum tip with no set minimum amount here and highly voluntary. Then again our min. wage is $8.75.

And never tip in Japan.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:33 AM   #19
peiffer83
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
peiffer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes: 2007 Giant TCR A1
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fluffhead View Post
That amount is pre-tax, which still needs to be declared. Alot of servers get allocated every year, which means at the end of the year they actually pay the government instead of getting a refund. Do you have health insurance? Servers usually only have it while working at the job. Otherwise they are paying out of pocket. Do you have a retirement fund? Only larger corporate restaurants provide this to their employees and even then you have to be there for 1 year +.
Do you deal with people all day that treat you like your sub human because you are serving them food/drink? Do you stand on your feet/walk for 8+ hours a day? Have you ever worked more than a year in food service? When you go to a bar to tip the bartender do you leave a buck for 1 beer? Why would breakfast be any different?

Servers are getting hit pretty hard right now because of the economy. People are still eating and drinking like they are paid, running their servers, but cheaping out at tip out time because the bills are getting bigger. If you can't afford to tip, don't eat out and be SERVED by someone else. Serve yourself at home and keep all the tip for yourself.

I am not trying to flame you, but there are many variables that you are not considering and even more that I am not even mentioning. Restaurant work is hard work, don't believe me, go give it a try and see how a change tip makes you feel.
We all have different opinions and that's what makes the world go round. It would depend on the cost of the beer, If it was $1 I would pry leave a quarter. I have never worked in a sit down restaurant. Only at taco bell for minimum wage. I didn't complain, walked around for 8 hours and received minimum wage. Anyways I cant win. Everybody makes me feel like an A hole.
peiffer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:33 AM   #20
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I think I'll never fully understand this mandatory tipping custom.

I once got tipped and I almost felt insulted.
waitstaff is intentionally underpaid here. The business expects them to be tipped, and it is built in to the pay structure. The business doesn't have to pay it, and the IRS taxes them on it whether they are tipped or not. The waitstaff is screwed either way.

Tipping tax is now a bit more equitable now that most things are done on credit card.

and yes, the OP is a bit cheap.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:35 AM   #21
MTBLover
But on the road more
 
MTBLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never worked in the industry, but I completely agree with 1fluff. I don't think the vast majority of diners know just how little typical servers actually make. I didn't know this until recently, but in many establishments, tips are pooled and split with bartenders (if there are drinks on the tab), the host/maitre d', and the servers (different in many places than the person who takes your order). Put that on top of the ridiculously tiny minimum wage for these people ($2.13/hour!!!!) and your average wait staff might be able to pay the rent this month, but not a whole lot else. Not a very lucrative job, to say the least, and who can't appreciate how hard these people work for it?

Similarly, hotel cleaning staff aren't paid well either. Yeah, they're supposed to get minimum, but I'm not convinced that happens a lot. I think at least $5/night is appropriate- what do y'all think?
MTBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:38 AM   #22
MTBLover
But on the road more
 
MTBLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peiffer83 View Post
We all have different opinions and that's what makes the world go round. It would depend on the cost of the beer, If it was $1 I would pry leave a quarter. I have never worked in a sit down restaurant. Only at taco bell for minimum wage. I didn't complain, walked around for 8 hours and received minimum wage. Anyways I cant win. Everybody makes me feel like an A hole.
Yeah, but YOUR minimum wage was twice that of a server! Last I checked, Taco Bell employees didn't receive tips, which makes them eligible for the higher minimum under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
MTBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:41 AM   #23
carbonlife
carbon positive lifestyle
 
carbonlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Heart of Darkness
Bikes: I got a red bike, and I got an orange bike.
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Geez, this holier than thou attitude about tipping is lame. I don't give a crap what other people tip, it's their choice. Tipping is OPTIONAL, based on whatever criteria you want. If you think people aren't getting paid enough without tips to survive, it's because you the American voter do not support a decent minimum wage. Somehow in many other countries people survive without a tipping custom.

That being said I would have just laid down $4, 'cause it seems weird to tip less than a buck, and then ya just round up to the next buck.


(And I think it's complete BS that the IRS just assumes that you got your 15% tip. That's just plain wrong.)

.
carbonlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:45 AM   #24
MTBLover
But on the road more
 
MTBLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonlife View Post
If you think people aren't getting paid enough without tips to survive, it's because you the American voter do not support a decent minimum wage. Somehow in many other countries people survive without a tipping custom.
Hey, don't blame me- I didn't vote for him in 2000 or 2004. Or for any of his fellow travelers. But I do agree that tipping here is way out of hand. Everyone should make a living wage. Not just the 1% making >$250K per year.
MTBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:52 AM   #25
1fluffhead
Senior Member
 
1fluffhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: baltimore
Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not trying to make anyone else feel bad about leaving a small tip, I just am trying to bring it up that there are a lot of forces at work a patrons may or may not realize when they leave a tip for a server or bartender. MTBlover is correct about the tip pooling aspect of the industry as well. For me, when I work as a bartender I have to tip out:
3% of my total sales to the busboy/bar back
1% of my total food sales to food runner
1% of my total sales to the bartender (this is only for the servers. Bartenders don't have to tip out themselves)

So if I get bad tips, my % of money goes significantly down because I am required by my employer to tip out on what I sold, not what is in my pocket. This is not the way it is in every restaurant that I have worked in. My last server job I had to tip out 15% of what was in my pocket to the busser and 5% to the bartender.

FWIW I got my first job as a busboy when I was 14. I have since worked in restaurants to pay for all of my college and graduate education. I still work part-time as a bartender at nights even though I use my education for the day job. Why I still do this is because I like the industry, talking to guests and being able to make money with my personality, my knowledge of food/drinks and local information. Where I bartend is in the Inner Harbor which is Bmore's biggest tourist trap. This past year has been one of the worst I have seen in a few years.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by diff_lock2 View Post
so what if it's custom, are you suddenly NOT a jackass?
1fluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 PM.