Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    American dream moves north

    I ran into a link on Digg that surprised me. It is a statistical comparison between
    the US and Canada. Canada seems to come out ahead in almost every way including
    average income, but what surprised me was by how much. Of course it is just
    theoretical to me. I just barely broke 20k in income for the first time last year and
    would be at the bottom end of the feeding trough in either country, but I have to
    admit it certainly is nice up here as far as everything else goes.

    I'm certainly not trying to be antagonistic and hope no one is patriotically offended.
    Our 2 countries really do have similar attitudes. Unfortunately one of those has been
    enthusiasm about borrowing money to get through good times for the last 20 or 30 years.
    The big advantage up here is probably just that there are a lot more natural resources
    per person, since it is a bigger country and maybe a bit less comfortable as far as the
    weather goes, which keeps the population down.

    http://www.macleans.ca/canada/nation...25_50113_50113

    And also, are there people here that use Digg? I just matched my address book with
    Digg members and not a single person matched. I have been visiting them maybe once
    a week for a couple of years and became a member not long ago. I do have a little project
    coming up in a week or 2 that involves the site and if anyone would like to post or pm their
    user name, I would like to add you as a friend and give a shout when the project goes live.
    They don't allow a space in a user name there, so I am ClosedOffice. Go ahead and add me
    if you feel like it.

    It is quite a good site for a variety of news, and once you sign up you can customize your
    news, so I eliminated video from mine which made it a lot better for me. And then you can
    pick your topics, like tennis, news, comedy, etc.

    It is at digg.com
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version

  2. #2
    Senior Member SwimBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pretty much Canada, NY
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, thanks for pointing it out. Canada is cool however im still in the US. Although I am getting an international license so I can race in Canada

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i made 7k (usa) last year and live(d) like a king

  4. #4
    Senior Member SwimBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pretty much Canada, NY
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha, I made 10k and was on every social service just getting by barley making it. Are you living with your parents or something?

    now I am doing a little better. First "real" paycheck comes on tuesday! LBS here I come!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canada already has realized the flight to their country, and pretty much all but slammed the door on Americans immigrating northwards. To have a shot at Canadian citizenship, you need to either have a Ph. D., or run a business grossing more than seven digits a year.

  6. #6
    Senior Member SwimBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pretty much Canada, NY
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so your saying an Masters in Education wont cut it? damn....

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimBike View Post
    ha, I made 10k and was on every social service just getting by barley making it. Are you living with your parents or something?
    nope. saved 90%+ of my income too

    no gov't assistance also.

  8. #8
    ?
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
    Canada already has realized the flight to their country, and pretty much all but slammed the door on Americans immigrating northwards. To have a shot at Canadian citizenship, you need to either have a Ph. D., or run a business grossing more than seven digits a year.
    Or you have a deep pocket of 7+ figures ready to invest. Most of the people here buying million dollar homes are not Canadian citizens.

  9. #9
    Senior Member SwimBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pretty much Canada, NY
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirpoopalot View Post
    nope. saved 90%+ of my income too

    no gov't assistance also.
    teach me

  10. #10
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so you lived like a king with $600 per year? that's $50 a month.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    last year i worked a seasonal job for a conservation org for the majority of the year. i lived in the mountains from the spring (when there was still snow, until the late fall, when the snow started piling up).

    living out of a tent in the mountains: no rent, employer paid for food (75/month allowance), no utility bills. all checks were direct deposited, no need for ca$h in the mountains.

    i did get a few days off, the 2 or 3 days per month i got i slept in a shed at my employer's base camp.
    the money i did spend was usually for a pizza and some booze on my days off.

    i also was able to eat for less than my stipend, so i banked a couple of extra dollars per month.

    rest of the year i squatted or bartered for room/board and/or got free food from my (other) employer. or i didn't work and just bartered for food/room.

    live the dream

  12. #12
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirpoopalot View Post
    last year i worked a seasonal job for a conservation org for the majority of the year. i lived in the mountains from the spring (when there was still snow, until the late fall, when the snow started piling up).

    living out of a tent in the mountains: no rent, employer paid for food (75/month allowance), no utility bills. all checks were direct deposited, no need for ca$h in the mountains.

    i did get a few days off, the 2 or 3 days per month i got i slept in a shed at my employer's base camp.
    the money i did spend was usually for a pizza and some booze on my days off.

    i also was able to eat for less than my stipend, so i banked a couple of extra dollars per month.

    rest of the year i squatted or bartered for room/board and/or got free food from my (other) employer. or i didn't work and just bartered for food/room.

    live the dream
    that'll do it! sounds like fun...not something i would want to do permanently though.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who needs money if you have room/board taken care of?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmhaan View Post
    that'll do it! sounds like fun...not something i would want to do permanently though.
    i'm young fer shure (early20s), not many peeps over 30 in this line of work.

    after months in the mountains when i got back all i wanted to do was lay around and play on the innernets and watch teevee. and toilets. i missed those.
    Last edited by sirpoopalot; 07-09-08 at 03:18 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimBike View Post
    so your saying an Masters in Education wont cut it? damn....
    you have a m.ed?

    work for a boarding school. you can get free room&board. live cheaply and you can bank the majority of your meager salary.

  16. #16
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    You're Ted Kazinsky, I knew it!

    Quote Originally Posted by sirpoopalot View Post
    last year i worked a seasonal job for a conservation org for the majority of the year. i lived in the mountains from the spring (when there was still snow, until the late fall, when the snow started piling up).

    living out of a tent in the mountains: no rent, employer paid for food (75/month allowance), no utility bills. all checks were direct deposited, no need for ca$h in the mountains.

    i did get a few days off, the 2 or 3 days per month i got i slept in a shed at my employer's base camp.
    the money i did spend was usually for a pizza and some booze on my days off.

    i also was able to eat for less than my stipend, so i banked a couple of extra dollars per month.

    rest of the year i squatted or bartered for room/board and/or got free food from my (other) employer. or i didn't work and just bartered for food/room.

    live the dream
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  17. #17
    Senior Member SwimBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pretty much Canada, NY
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirpoopalot View Post
    you have a m.ed?

    work for a boarding school. you can get free room&board. live cheaply and you can bank the majority of your meager salary.

    I actually have thought about doing this a lot. I do not have an m.ed yet. I am about half way through it. Currently I work in College Admissions. Boarding schools sound fun, I could coach again too!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •