Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   gas powered bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/440205-gas-powered-bikes.html)

bear1499 07-12-08 09:04 AM

gas powered bikes
 
looking into buying a kit to put on adyno cruisre bike with 3 speed self contained rear axle need to know the best company to do bus with thinking about friction drive but need help in deciding which way to go THANKS

donnamb 07-12-08 09:50 AM

Moved to Foo. We don't have a category for gasoline-powered bikes on Bike Forums.

Maxximum 07-12-08 10:14 AM

Kinda defeats the financial, environmental and reduced noise benefits of bike riding by strapping on a fossil fuel eater to it.

Anyways, have you considered electric motors? They are more energetically efficient, don't pollute the environment, cost fractions of pennies to recharge, are extremely quiet, and can be powered upto 88km/h! WTF! Do consider this as an alternative.

Sledbikes 07-12-08 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxximum (Post 7045764)
Kinda defeats the financial, environmental and reduced noise benefits of bike riding by strapping on a fossil fuel eater to it.

Anyways, have you considered electric motors? They are more energetically efficient, don't pollute the environment, cost fractions of pennies to recharge, are extremely quiet, and can be powered upto 88km/h! WTF! Do consider this as an alternative.

not really i know people with gas motors who spend 10 bucks and it lasts 6 weeks for most of them and can be made to go 75mph im going this route once i find a drumbrake scooter wheel for my chopper

rustguard 07-12-08 11:26 AM

if I was you, it be the best bet to go on a baked bean diet and put a piezo ignition off some sought of lighter on the back of your seat. Just let it go and start clicking the ignighter- gas powered

Maxximum 07-12-08 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledbikes (Post 7045777)
not really i know people with gas motors who spend 10 bucks and it lasts 6 weeks for most of them and can be made to go 75mph im going this route once i find a drumbrake scooter wheel for my chopper

10 bucks per 6 weeks is significantly higher than two dimes.

Gas powered is also much noisier. And our ozone layer can't really take many more hits. There are far more vibrational stresses as well.

Sledbikes 07-12-08 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxximum (Post 7046047)
10 bucks per 6 weeks is significantly higher than two dimes.

Gas powered is also much noisier. And our ozone layer can't really take many more hits. There are far more vibrational stresses as well.

i like noise especially with the muffler taken off and a yesso pipe put on

EatMyA** 07-12-08 12:15 PM

definitely friction drive. It can be changed over to another bike quick. It weighs less. and it can be disengaged to and the bike pedaled with ZERO friction. Chain driven kits are more complicated and cannot be exchanged without a lot of work. Belt driven systems are good like the GEBE but they are weaker because they attach to the spokes again more complex and a bigger hassle.

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3316

Dont worry either about people complaining about it. A gas kit will not leave you stranded, does not weigh as much, gets you 220 miles per gallon, and you dont need to wait 8 hours after its drained to use it again. electricity is not magical either, and does not come out of thin air. Besides these are the same people who pollute more by driving their cars. A gas kit does not consume nearly the same as a car, and will give you the ability to transport yourself freely.

dont get the CHINESE kits. their prices are tempting but it will be more expensive in the long run

Maxwell 07-12-08 06:58 PM

In everything but CO2, those two stroke motor kits pollute worse than 5 hummers, unburnt hydrocarbons, nitrous oxide, etc. Just get yourself a modern 4-stroke scooter.

Wordbiker 07-12-08 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxwell (Post 7047766)
Just get yourself a modern 4-stroke scooter.

+1

I'm amazed at how many people think you can build something better in your backyard than Honda's best engineers.

Sure, it can be a fun project, but as reliable transportation...prepare yourself to become an expert, stock plenty of spare parts and check the laws, both for vehicle code and noise ordinances.

If it's cheap, there's probably a reason for it.

Rex G 07-13-08 02:30 AM

I used to see these things, but they were NOT eco-friendly! I used to see ads for them in the back of Popular Mechanics and such.

Doug5150 07-13-08 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wordbiker (Post 7047883)
+1

I'm amazed at how many people think you can build something better in your backyard than Honda's best engineers.

Sure, it can be a fun project, but as reliable transportation...prepare yourself to become an expert, stock plenty of spare parts and check the laws, both for vehicle code and noise ordinances.

If it's cheap, there's probably a reason for it.

Partly it is just for fun--but the better kits can go surprising distances with little trouble and cost.

In some locales there's few regulations on motorized bicycles--basically just a general engine size/power/speed limit, equivalent to 50cc mopeds. No license, registration or insurance required, which means another $10-$15 per month you don't have to make up for in fuel savings by miles ridden.

My ideal is a (recumbent) bike that has a gas engine, but that can still be pedaled comfortably without engine assistance, if ever need be. There's no engine kit that's quite ideal for that yet----I think because the market for motorized bikes is not really consistent across the US. If all 50 states were required to allow them, you'd get a lot more product development.
~

ModoVincere 07-13-08 12:03 PM

Just buy a 250 cc motorcycle. You can get upwards of 70 mpg, top end of 90+ mph, and they will be far less polluting.
If you have to have pedals on it, get a moped.

Doug5150 07-13-08 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModoVincere (Post 7051127)
Just buy a 250 cc motorcycle. You can get upwards of 70 mpg, top end of 90+ mph, and they will be far less polluting.
If you have to have pedals on it, get a moped.

Ehhh, , , , -mopeds ain't the same. Ever rode one? The pedals are geared VERY low to the rear wheel, something around 1:1. Often times the only reason for the pedals at all is because the engine is live-start--that is, you have to get the moped rolling for the engine to engage. If the engine fails, the pedals are pretty useless for getting you home by human power alone. After spinning furiously for two or three minutes to maintain ~7 mph, you'll most likely end up getting off and pushing the thing. It's no good if the engine don't run.
Just like a car...
And just like a motorcycle....

You could call motorized bikes "hybrids", because that's what they rightfully are.
Part of the attraction (at least for me) is a vehicle that has two completely separate propulsion systems--a normal one that gets you there faster than you could, and a backup one in case the first one stops working.
~


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:53 PM.