Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-10, 10:45 AM   #301
philcasi
Senior Member
 
philcasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Bikes: 08 felt f75
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 1980 rolex date stainless steel that my grandpa gave to my dad when he graduated college and then gave to me.
philcasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 11:21 AM   #302
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
But your 20yo Rolex is still worth about $2,000, unless it is an Oyster in which case it is worth a lot more. So spending $750 to keep it in good shape is just protecting your investment. Why not just sell it and buy 20 Timex watches? I assume it has some special significance or you would not have spent the $750.
I don't sell it because I like the watch, but there's no way to justify it on economic grounds.

Take the $3500 in 1990, invest it, assume a rate of return of 5%. That gives you $175 a year income. Buy a $175 watch every 5 years, and today with the money spent on cleaning and investment income, you'd have over $8,000, and you would have had a nice new watch every 5 years.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 11:25 AM   #303
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojo View Post
Beautiful. Love the submariner. I have an Omega Seamaster (a less expensive close relative) but I'm too afraid to wear it in rides in case of a crash. Do you wear a cheap watch while riding or do you wear that?
I wear my Rolex when I ride, when I race, when I kayak, when I swim.

One practical advantage it does have is that it's waterproof and durable.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 11:44 AM   #304
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach
 
stonecrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Weston, FL
Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
Posts: 2,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
I don't sell it because I like the watch, but there's no way to justify it on economic grounds.

Take the $3500 in 1990, invest it, assume a rate of return of 5%. That gives you $175 a year income. Buy a $175 watch every 5 years, and today with the money spent on cleaning and investment income, you'd have over $8,000, and you would have had a nice new watch every 5 years.
No doubt that there are better investments but if you enjoy fine watches you do get the benefit that they hold their value pretty well. For me there is an esthetic in a fine watch that brings enjoyment, much like taking pictures with my Nikon F4 or listening to my vinyl records.
__________________
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS
stonecrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 12:54 PM   #305
kandyredcoi
calm down its just a bike
 
kandyredcoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Inland Empire, SoCal
Bikes: PK Ripper FG, raleigh folder, felt z5
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
trying to justify spending money on anything for the most part is ridic, why ride $10k bike as opposed to a $1 bike... principal is the same for every hobby we are all enthusiastic about

spend it like its going outta style!!!
kandyredcoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 01:19 PM   #306
robncircus 
Gunner.
 
robncircus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These are my 3. I'd love to invest in some nice stuff but bills have to come first unfortunately. I graduate in 2011 from college (at age 30) and may buy a nice piece for myself. Or a new bike. We'll see

Stauer Dashtronic - Different, automatic, and kinda cool. Strap is junk but the watch is neat:




Skagen. This one is super thin and I bought it maybe 8 years ago to wear with a suit.




Swiss Army Infantry. Wear this the most.

robncircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 04:02 AM   #307
rangerdavid
Senior Member
 
rangerdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9
Posts: 5,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I nabbed this one yesterday.. I really like the dark blue face with the gold and black band.



Bid123006..jpg



Bid123004..jpg



Bid123002..jpg



Bid123001..jpg
rangerdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 04:34 AM   #308
rollin
Sua Ku
 
rollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hot as hell, Singapore
Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium
Posts: 5,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^^
rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:20 AM   #309
Aurelius
Senior Member
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What, no love for Seiko?
My daily wearer; JDM SBBN017 "Tunacan"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03412 - Copy..jpg (99.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Aurelius; 09-16-10 at 07:48 AM.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:51 AM   #310
baribari
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it doesn't have a laser or an buzz saw, Rolexes and Omegas are a waste of money.
baribari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 08:24 AM   #311
sced
South Carolina Ed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Greer, SC
Bikes: Family pool bikes - 73 Holdsworth Super Mistral, 79(?) Macario, 86 Bianchi Brava, 93 Viner Nemo, 07 Bottecchia Euro Team, 07 Windsor Fens, 07 Tommasso Mistral
Posts: 3,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baribari View Post
If it doesn't have a laser or an buzz saw, Rolexes and Omegas are a waste of money.
Impress your friends and complete strangers for less. You'll get laid just as often. Only your hairdresser will know for sure.

http://www.fashion-replica.com/Goods...ytona-363.html
sced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 08:26 AM   #312
tagaproject6
Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
Posts: 7,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baribari View Post
If it doesn't have a laser or an buzz saw, Rolexes and Omegas are a waste of money.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
tagaproject6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 09:14 AM   #313
kandyredcoi
calm down its just a bike
 
kandyredcoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Inland Empire, SoCal
Bikes: PK Ripper FG, raleigh folder, felt z5
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
replicas are whack
kandyredcoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 11:18 AM   #314
NTSing
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kansas City
Bikes:
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyredcoi View Post
replicas are whack
+1

I agree, replicas are for posers.
NTSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 11:35 AM   #315
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am
 
rooftest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50
Posts: 2,613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin View Post
^^^


Over $300 for a replica? That's a little steep, I think. And people who wear replicas are the very definition of poseur - They wear something that's not as good as the real thing, but looks "kindof like it."
rooftest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 12:00 PM   #316
sced
South Carolina Ed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Greer, SC
Bikes: Family pool bikes - 73 Holdsworth Super Mistral, 79(?) Macario, 86 Bianchi Brava, 93 Viner Nemo, 07 Bottecchia Euro Team, 07 Windsor Fens, 07 Tommasso Mistral
Posts: 3,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Over $5000 for a watch? That's a little steep, I think. And people who wear $5000 watches are the very definition of poseur - They wear something that's not as good as a quartz Timex, but looks "like a watch."

Both Presidents Bush as well as Clinton wore Timex watches. I wear an Invicta that looks like a Rolex Submariner, but keeps better time and cost 1/100th as much.
sced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 12:46 PM   #317
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooftest View Post


Over $300 for a replica? That's a little steep, I think.
Heck go to Canal Street in NYC, $10, and you can cover your airfare from a good number of places for the other $290.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 01:15 PM   #318
sced
South Carolina Ed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Greer, SC
Bikes: Family pool bikes - 73 Holdsworth Super Mistral, 79(?) Macario, 86 Bianchi Brava, 93 Viner Nemo, 07 Bottecchia Euro Team, 07 Windsor Fens, 07 Tommasso Mistral
Posts: 3,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
Heck go to Canal Street in NYC, $10, and you can cover your airfare from a good number of places for the other $290.
How far could you come from on $4700 (5k-300), or is it $4990 (5k-10)?
sced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 02:48 PM   #319
Yaniel
SLO-1
 
Yaniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01
Posts: 2,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooftest View Post


Over $300 for a replica? That's a little steep, I think. And people who wear replicas are the very definition of poseur - They wear something that's not as good as the real thing, but looks "kindof like it."

a lot of those replicas have better movements than most of the similarly priced name brand watches you can buy. If I could find a Tag Heuer Carrera replica @ $300 with out the label, I'd nab it in a heart beat because the movement is great and the appearance to me is stunning, I don't care about the label.
Yaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 03:44 PM   #320
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am
 
rooftest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50
Posts: 2,613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
a lot of those replicas have better movements than most of the similarly priced name brand watches you can buy. If I could find a Tag Heuer Carrera replica @ $300 with out the label, I'd nab it in a heart beat because the movement is great and the appearance to me is stunning, I don't care about the label.
Wait - you'd buy a fake designer watch because you don't care about the label?
rooftest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 06:48 PM   #321
BrassBuns
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.1
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Showing off my Oakley pride with the Time Bomb.



Attached Images
File Type: jpg CK164573_2..jpg (24.9 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg CK164571_2..jpg (34.6 KB, 387 views)
BrassBuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 08:38 PM   #322
Yaniel
SLO-1
 
Yaniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01
Posts: 2,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooftest View Post
Wait - you'd buy a fake designer watch because you don't care about the label?
read what I said. I'd buy the replica without the label (but generally they'll have the fake tag heuer label which doesn't bother me because I'm not bragging about having a Tag Heuer, I'm just happy to have a good watch). I'm not interested in the fake Tag Heuer label, I just like the movement the replica has, and the design on the watch. Apart from the replica stigma, most 200-300 dollar replicas are very good watches so I'll happily let someone call me a poseur while my $300 watch kills their $300 watch in quality.

I'm using tag heuer replicas because those are the ones I normally look at it, but it applies to most high end replicas.

Last edited by Yaniel; 09-16-10 at 08:42 PM.
Yaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 08:42 PM   #323
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul
 
SBRDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have four nice watches (Chronoswiss, 2 Breitlings, and an Omega Seamaster Chronograh). I usually wear a Casio G-shock that I bought for MTB riding (I used to fall down a lot...). I'm not so afraid of crashing and ruining a good watch, but it seems like it would might bounce around too much on my wrist. I also have a Seiko diver that I wear quite a bit and it has an expandable band of sorts. I have thought about wearing that on the bike, but never have.
SBRDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 11:26 PM   #324
Mansram01
Senior Member
 
Mansram01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: '14 Yeti SB95 Comp, '12 Orbea Orca Gold, '08 Orbea Orca. Wife's: Felt FW35.
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
read what I said. I'd buy the replica without the label (but generally they'll have the fake tag heuer label which doesn't bother me because I'm not bragging about having a Tag Heuer, I'm just happy to have a good watch). I'm not interested in the fake Tag Heuer label, I just like the movement the replica has, and the design on the watch. Apart from the replica stigma, most 200-300 dollar replicas are very good watches so I'll happily let someone call me a poseur while my $300 watch kills their $300 watch in quality.

I'm using tag heuer replicas because those are the ones I normally look at it, but it applies to most high end replicas.
Comparing a $300 replica to a $300 name brand watch is ridiculous. So my Swiss Army watch would suck over some replica because it has superior movement??? Perhaps it's the quality control or the cheap knockoff movement being used. No, I don't think so....

Some of us wear watches while others wear timepieces...
Mansram01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 11:30 PM   #325
Nerull
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTSing View Post
+1

I agree, replicas are for posers.
Posing is the entire purpose of the "high end" watch industry.
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 PM.