Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 1415
  1. #326
    Senior Member Mansram01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    '14 Yeti SB95 Comp, '12 Orbea Orca Gold, '08 Orbea Orca. Wife's: Felt FW35.
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRDude View Post
    I have four nice watches (Chronoswiss, 2 Breitlings, and an Omega Seamaster Chronograh). I usually wear a Casio G-shock that I bought for MTB riding (I used to fall down a lot...). I'm not so afraid of crashing and ruining a good watch, but it seems like it would might bounce around too much on my wrist. I also have a Seiko diver that I wear quite a bit and it has an expandable band of sorts. I have thought about wearing that on the bike, but never have.
    Which Chronoswiss do you have? Almost bought one. I was looking at the Chronoswiss Kairos. A timeless classy look. Currently have a Breitling Evo, Omega Seamaster, Stowa Marine, Citizen Nighthawk Titanium and a RockX Plasmir Milgraph.

  2. #327
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tagaproject6 View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

    If you HAVE to spend three months salary on something to make you feel like James Bond, it should be on some speaking/shooting/spying/skiing/diving/driving/fighting/flying/riding training, not an Omega Seamaster.

  3. #328
    calm down its just a bike kandyredcoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Inland Empire, SoCal
    My Bikes
    PK Ripper FG, raleigh folder, felt z5
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fake watches are for fake people...period

    got to try this on today...wow!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cycletourist
    Few people here actually think for themselves- they just regurgitate what they read in bicycling magazine. And they will all be happy to make up opinions about your bike without actually seeing or riding one.
    Bicycles

  4. #329
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #330
    calm down its just a bike kandyredcoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Inland Empire, SoCal
    My Bikes
    PK Ripper FG, raleigh folder, felt z5
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^noice!
    Quote Originally Posted by cycletourist
    Few people here actually think for themselves- they just regurgitate what they read in bicycling magazine. And they will all be happy to make up opinions about your bike without actually seeing or riding one.
    Bicycles

  6. #331
    Sua Ku rollin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hot as hell, Singapore
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium
    Posts
    5,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kandyredcoi View Post
    fake watches are for fake people...period

    got to try this on today...wow!!!

    [IMG ]http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab275/coitajo/Panerai%20GTG%209-16-2010/_MG_3338.jpg[/IMG]
    only 99 made. I have 2 Panerai's and was "invited" to purchase the 2010 limited editions, love it but respectfully passed.

    How bad were early Italian submarines that the crew needed waterproof watches?
    Last edited by rollin; 09-17-10 at 07:08 AM.

  7. #332
    Senior Member va_cyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ashland, VA
    Posts
    1,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my "nice" watch, a vintage 1986 Seiko. It was a gift from my Dad. Almost 25 years old, it's outlasted two straps and I don't know how many batteries, and still runs perfectly.



    Most days I wear a cheap knockaround Timex. I never wear a watch while cycling.
    Last edited by va_cyclist; 09-17-10 at 08:52 AM.

  8. #333
    SLO-1 Yaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    '09 BMC Road Racer SL01
    Posts
    2,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kandyredcoi View Post
    fake watches are for fake people...period
    Painting people with a broad brush is for the ignorant...period

  9. #334
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kandyredcoi View Post
    fake watches are for fake people...period

    got to try this on today...wow!!!


    It doesn't suit you. You shouldn't wear a watch bigger than your wrist.

  10. #335
    South Carolina Ed
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greer, SC
    My Bikes
    Family pool bikes - 73 Holdsworth Super Mistral, 79(?) Macario, 86 Bianchi Brava, 93 Viner Nemo, 07 Bottecchia Euro Team, 07 Windsor Fens, 07 Tommasso Mistral
    Posts
    3,100
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expensive watches are just jewelry, like diamond rings and bracelets and dangling gold chains, and have little to do with the practical need for knowing the time. A nice watch for any practical purpose can be had for a couple hundred or less. A lot of men don't like to admit that they wear jewelry, so they call them watches. Inexpensive watches that look like expensive ones are like costume jewelry. So if you're vain enough to need an expensive jewelry-watch, at least be honest about what it is. If it's a gift from a loved one, so much the better.

    It is humorous to see these big clunker watches worn by people that also spend a lot to save a few grams on their bike gear, even more so when paired out on the road.

    A tip - a few years ago I bought each of my three sons a beautiful Seiko titanium diver's watch for Christmas, on sale for about $150 each. The boys love them, and they are much lighter than a steel watch, I'd say less than half the weight for comparable size and style. I got my wife a lady's model, which is also a featherweight.

    Read this for a laugh:
    http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wat...66#custreviews
    Last edited by sced; 09-17-10 at 07:54 AM.

  11. #336
    Godfather of Soul SBRDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40
    Posts
    1,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mchacon01 View Post
    Which Chronoswiss do you have? Almost bought one. I was looking at the Chronoswiss Kairos. A timeless classy look. Currently have a Breitling Evo, Omega Seamaster, Stowa Marine, Citizen Nighthawk Titanium and a RockX Plasmir Milgraph.
    It's the Tora Chronograph. All my nice watches are also Chronographs - just something I like about them. I really like the clean look of the Kairos, however. Nice watch!

  12. #337
    Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins tagaproject6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
    Posts
    7,035
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baribari View Post
    If you HAVE to spend three months salary on something to make you feel like James Bond, it should be on some speaking/shooting/spying/skiing/diving/driving/fighting/flying/riding training, not an Omega Seamaster.
    If you HAVE to spend three months salary on something, you are living beyond your means.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TOML

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record)
    Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force)
    Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival)
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)

  13. #338
    Godfather of Soul SBRDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40
    Posts
    1,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sced View Post
    Expensive watches are just jewelry, like diamond rings and bracelets and dangling gold chains, and have little to do with the practical need for knowing the time. A nice watch for any practical purpose can be had for a couple hundred or less. A lot of men don't like to admit that they wear jewelry, so they call them watches. Inexpensive watches that look like expensive ones are like costume jewelry. So if you're vain enough to need an expensive jewelry-watch, at least be honest about what it is. If it's a gift from a loved one, so much the better.
    A cheap Timex digital watch is all anyone really needs to tell the time. To be sure, there is a lot of vanity among some or many people who purchase high end watches, but there are a LOT of people in the watch world who are fascinated by the precision engineering it takes to make an automatic watch. They'll spend a fortune a watch that most of the planet would never recognize, so it's not just about flaunting ones's wealth or wanting nice jewelry. I think a better comparison would be to owning a high end sports car, or a very nice bike for that matter. It's not that anyone necessarily needs this stuff, but that they enjoy its capabilities and marvel at what it takes to create something so sophisticated. Kind of like appreciating art.

  14. #339
    . Namenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    "The Woo", MA
    Posts
    4,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sced View Post
    My friends, Buffy and Jasper Jr., were totally embarrassed for me.

    Love it.

  15. #340
    Senior Member Aurelius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baribari View Post
    It doesn't suit you. You shouldn't wear a watch bigger than your wrist.
    I was gonna say....the lugs on that thing stick out like a roof rack. That's a really poor design. Just goes to show that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.

  16. #341
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,338
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kandyredcoi View Post
    fake watches are for fake people...period

    got to try this on today...wow!!!
    hideous, not to mention cheesy.
    Last edited by botto; 09-17-10 at 09:00 AM.

  17. #342
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,338
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sced View Post
    Over $5000 for a watch? That's a little steep, I think. And people who wear $5000 watches are the very definition of poseur - They wear something that's not as good as a quartz Timex, but looks "like a watch."

    Both Presidents Bush as well as Clinton wore Timex watches. I wear an Invicta that looks like a Rolex Submariner, but keeps better time and cost 1/100th as much.
    they wore them while they were active politicians, to appease the proletariat who think that "people who wear $5000 watches are the very definition of poseur", etc.

    take a look at what they're wearing now.

  18. #343
    Lost AngryScientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nutley, nj
    Posts
    4,450
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRDude View Post
    A cheap Timex digital watch is all anyone really needs to tell the time. To be sure, there is a lot of vanity among some or many people who purchase high end watches, but there are a LOT of people in the watch world who are fascinated by the precision engineering it takes to make an automatic watch. They'll spend a fortune a watch that most of the planet would never recognize, so it's not just about flaunting ones's wealth or wanting nice jewelry. I think a better comparison would be to owning a high end sports car, or a very nice bike for that matter. It's not that anyone necessarily needs this stuff, but that they enjoy its capabilities and marvel at what it takes to create something so sophisticated. Kind of like appreciating art.
    i agree, and while there are some gaudy easily recognizable big brand watches out there, there are plenty of boutique watchmakers who's watches would not be recognized by anyone other than another watch aficionado. to me it makes sense to pay good money for a fine handcrafted piece of micro machinery.

  19. #344
    South Carolina Ed
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greer, SC
    My Bikes
    Family pool bikes - 73 Holdsworth Super Mistral, 79(?) Macario, 86 Bianchi Brava, 93 Viner Nemo, 07 Bottecchia Euro Team, 07 Windsor Fens, 07 Tommasso Mistral
    Posts
    3,100
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRDude View Post
    A cheap Timex digital watch is all anyone really needs to tell the time. To be sure, there is a lot of vanity among some or many people who purchase high end watches, but there are a LOT of people in the watch world who are fascinated by the precision engineering it takes to make an automatic watch. They'll spend a fortune a watch that most of the planet would never recognize, so it's not just about flaunting ones's wealth or wanting nice jewelry. I think a better comparison would be to owning a high end sports car, or a very nice bike for that matter. It's not that anyone necessarily needs this stuff, but that they enjoy its capabilities and marvel at what it takes to create something so sophisticated. Kind of like appreciating art.
    Good answer.

    But a watch? It's like being impressed with how many angels can fit on the head of a pin or an especially nice ship in a bottle. I'm an ME and a researcher and have been lucky enough to work on some amazing engineering projects. People have no sense of perspective. The technology that goes into a jet engine or a cell phone is infinitely more impressive than any watch ever made. The manufacturing processes that mass produce high quality, affordable watches probably much better represent human ingenuity than the watches themselves. Ditto for cars. I've been a sports car buff all my life and have owned several. At least they provide visceral as well as intellectual excitement. I'll never understand art though. Our local museum has a large Jasper Johns collection. What a load of crap.

  20. #345
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,338
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sced View Post
    Good answer.

    But a watch? It's like being impressed with how many angels can fit on the head of a pin or an especially nice ship in a bottle. I'm an ME and a researcher and have been lucky enough to work on some amazing engineering projects. People have no sense of perspective. The technology that goes into a jet engine or a cell phone is infinitely more impressive than any watch ever made. The manufacturing processes that mass produce high quality, affordable watches probably much better represent human ingenuity than the watches themselves. Ditto for cars. I've been a sports car buff all my life and have owned several. At least they provide visceral as well as intellectual excitement. I'll never understand art though.
    Our local museum has a large Jasper Johns collection. What a load of crap.
    i love the smell of ignorance in the morning.

  21. #346
    South Carolina Ed
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greer, SC
    My Bikes
    Family pool bikes - 73 Holdsworth Super Mistral, 79(?) Macario, 86 Bianchi Brava, 93 Viner Nemo, 07 Bottecchia Euro Team, 07 Windsor Fens, 07 Tommasso Mistral
    Posts
    3,100
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add, to me the most impressive thing about Rolex is the advertising to gullible people. It's so much like the bike trade. Their adds talk about what great stainless steel they use, or some special coating on a bezel, or that it's waterproof to 1000m, like these are actually important in some way.

    A few years ago I read an interview with the guy who started Invicta. He said that even their higher end watches, and those of other makers, cost only about $10-$15 to make because of all the precision automation in the manufacturing processes. So when somebody buys an expensive watch sans precious metals and jewels, what are you really paying for. The answer should be obvious.

  22. #347
    Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins tagaproject6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
    Posts
    7,035
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sced View Post
    I forgot to add, to me the most impressive thing about Rolex is the advertising to gullible people. It's so much like the bike trade. Their adds talk about what great stainless steel they use, or some special coating on a bezel, or that it's waterproof to 1000m, like these are actually important in some way.

    A few years ago I read an interview with the guy who started Invicta. He said that even their higher end watches, and those of other makers, cost only about $10-$15 to make because of all the precision automation in the manufacturing processes. So when somebody buys an expensive watch sans precious metals and jewels, what are you really paying for. The answer should be obvious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TOML

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record)
    Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force)
    Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival)
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)

  23. #348
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,338
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sced View Post
    I forgot to add, to me the most impressive thing about Rolex is the advertising to gullible people. bla bla bla.

    we get it. you don't like nice watches. let it go.

  24. #349
    Ironwoman Velo Gator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Cervélo S2
    Posts
    13,481
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    we get it. you don't like nice watches. let it go.
    in a nutshell.

  25. #350
    Lost AngryScientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nutley, nj
    Posts
    4,450
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sced View Post
    ... cost only about $10-$15 to make
    have you been to switzerland, i dont think you could make a paper airplane there for 10-15 dollars, if you were given the sheet of paper.

Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •