Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-08, 10:32 AM   #1
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me
Thread Starter
 
DallasSoxFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What do you do for the environment that you don't do because of the environment?

I'm talking about those things that you should do because you love mother earth, but you actually do because you're just another selfish human doing selfish things, and the by-product happens to be good for the environment.

Here's mine:

- Bike commute. I do it for exercise and to save my wallet.
- Chose wind power for electricity. Cheaper rate than traditional because of a contract situation in Texas. I wanted to stay with Gexa because of the airline miles you get and the wind plan was the cheapest I could get.
- Insulated and sealed my house for energy efficiency. I don't like high power bills.
- Switched to CFLs throughout my house. Same reason.
- Occasionally ask for paper instead of plastic. I love making popcorn the old fashioned way on the stove. I use the paper sacks to toss butter, salt, and popcorn around for distribution.
- Infrequently dry clean suits. Makes the suits last longer.
- Bare-minimum water my lawn (Dallas). The faster it grows, the more often I have to cut it.
DallasSoxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 10:45 AM   #2
hos13
Senior Member
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read my news on the internet, rather then get a newspaper. Because I'm cheap, and I don't care about internet trees.
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 10:50 AM   #3
G-Whacker
Affable Aberrant
 
G-Whacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GDTRFB
Bikes:
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I kill drifters.

They're carbon footprint is outrageous, but I do it for the pure entertainment value.
G-Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 10:55 AM   #4
nekohime
I... Don't care.
 
nekohime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunny SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ride a bike because I hate driving
read internet news--same reason as hos13
recycle shipping materials, because I'm too cheap to buy my own bubble wrap/packing peanuts/boxes/whatever
recycle plastic bags from the store to line trash cans because I'm too cheap to buy actual trash liners
keep lights in my room to a minimum, because I am a vampire and hate the lights anyway
recycle paper because I'm too cheap to get printed paper

well, pretty much, I do environmentally good things because I either hate the alternative or I'm too cheap
__________________
Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p
nekohime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 10:57 AM   #5
The Figment
The Wheel is Turning
 
The Figment's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virgil Kansas
Bikes: '05 Novara (REI) Bonanza
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride one of these (mine is on the Right) 70 Mpg and a Hoot to ride!!


<1971 Honda Trail 90.................................................................................................. .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ..........................................................1983 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike fer u Aussies)>
The Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 11:13 AM   #6
artifice
superArti
 
artifice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnersoter
Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekohime View Post
well, pretty much, I do environmentally good things because I either hate the alternative or I'm too cheap
+1, kinda.
I do keep the environment in mind, but a lot of it is about my pocketbook.
  • I think buying bottled water is dumb. Water's water... and my re-usable bottles are just as convenient.
  • I'm not a big fan of a/c in the car- plus, it hurts the gas mileage
  • I save pretty much every decent box I can get my hands on, because collecting boxes when its time to move is a hassle.
  • I buy local (farmer's market) because the produce is better, and cheaper
  • I take public transportation when I can because I hate driving downtown, I get lost, gas is pricey and parking even more so. And, it makes every day a bit more of an adventure
  • glass on beaches is bad for peoples' feet, too.
  • etc
artifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 11:25 AM   #7
dipy911
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Instead of paper/plastic, you could buy reusable bags/backpacks.

A/C is better than rolled down windows at speeds of over 40MPH. Even then the mileage loss is negligible compared to proper inflated tires and tuned engine.

Bottled water is a complete waste of money and natural resources. AVOID at all costs.

CFLs contain mercury, which enviro weenies used to not want in the house at all, so don't place in children's rooms. CFLs are useless as lights for my iguanas, please do not ban incandescent lights! I need both heat and light.

Anything I do, I do to save money. I could care less about the environment. What has it done for me lately anyway.
dipy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 11:37 AM   #8
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasSoxFan View Post
I'm talking about those things that you should do because you love mother earth, but you actually do because you're just another selfish human doing selfish things, and the by-product happens to be good for the environment.
I don't think the environment can tell what a person's intent is. All that matters is the results.
Hippies vs Housewives makes no difference if the result is identical.
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 11:58 AM   #9
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico
 
huhenio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 3,522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Whacker View Post
I kill drifters.

They're carbon footprint is outrageous, but I do it for the pure entertainment value.
when is the new drifter barbeque?
__________________
Giving Haircuts Over The Phone
huhenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 12:08 PM   #10
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,870
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Composting. I needed better soil and I thought "why the heck am I throwing out all that great organic material?"

Organic pest management. I could spray my tomatoes and peppers but it's so much more satisfying to kill snails and hornworms by hand.

Line drying. It's 100F and 12%RH during the summer here. The line is actually faster than the dryer in those conditions.

Whole house fan. The white noise helps to lull the Wondertwins to sleep. Cools the house much cheaper and just as fast as the AC when the Delta Breeze comes up.

Bike commuting. I'm too cheap to pay for parking, too antisocial to ride the bus, too impatient to drive.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 12:23 PM   #11
huytheskigod
Senior Member
 
huytheskigod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: K2 Zed 3.0; Motobecane Le Champion; Pedal Force RS; IRO BFGB
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recycling aluminum cans. CRV is a b!tch and I'd like to recover some of that cost.

There are others but I can't think of them at the moment.
huytheskigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 12:37 PM   #12
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me
Thread Starter
 
DallasSoxFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huytheskigod View Post
Recycling aluminum cans. CRV is a b!tch and I'd like to recover some of that cost.

There are others but I can't think of them at the moment.
That's one I can add too. I don't do it for the environment. The City of Dallas only allows me one trash bin, but they also allow one recycling bin (picked up every two weeks). Recycling saves me room in the main trash bin.
DallasSoxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 01:22 PM   #13
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?
 
skinnyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Guess
Bikes: Not enough
Posts: 2,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like artifice, I do not buy bottled water while in the states. Its a colossal waste of money and the carbon footprint to get a bottle is ridiculous in comparison to tap water.
I dont get tech journals and read them online when needed because it makes my desk more cluttered that as it is.
Bikecommute (not as often as I should) because it gives me evenings to do things with friends.
I try not to fart as much as possible because people dont seem to dig it.
skinnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 01:30 PM   #14
nekohime
I... Don't care.
 
nekohime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunny SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bottled water is weird. Just get the huge 5 gallon things and transfer it to your reusable ones. Sheesh. Or better yet, get your own tap water filter. 'Tis cheaper.
__________________
Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p
nekohime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 01:46 PM   #15
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bicycle commute because it keeps me on the bike, it doesn't take much longer than driving, saved wear and tear on the car (which died anyway, but no matter), and it's kind of fun. My commute is short enough that vehicles powered by internal combustion are barely warmed up by the time I get here.

I use low-wattage light bulbs (15w incandescent) because I dislike being overly wasteful, and I find that I really don't care for super-bright lighting at night. I turn off and unplug items not in use for the same "not liking to be wasteful" reason, as well as being annoyed by everything having little lights and crap.

I recycle aluminum cans for the money.

I ride a motorcycle because it's fun. It's neat that I rarely get less than 55 MPG (sometimes over 70 MPG) out of it, and that it costs about $10-15 to fill the tank, but those come way behind the fun factor.

I don't drive my car. Not because it's bad for the environment or anything, it just doesn't run and I'm too lazy to remedy that. I love driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Whole house fan. The white noise helps to lull the Wondertwins to sleep. Cools the house much cheaper and just as fast as the AC when the Delta Breeze comes up.
Whole house fans are awesome. I think it's more pleasant to sleep under an open window anyway, and like you say, the white noise produced by fans is nice to sleep to.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 01:52 PM   #16
referee54
Senior Member
 
referee54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbia Station, Ohio
Bikes: Just a Raleigh C-200 with many upgrades
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride a bike to save $$ on gas and to rehab my knees after replacement surgery

I heat my house with a woodstove because i hate I natural gas bills.

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 07-21-08 at 07:24 PM.
referee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 01:59 PM   #17
Shadiyah
KombuchaCHIC
 
Shadiyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SLC,UT
Bikes: Santa Cruz Juliana, 2005 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We recycle, ride our bikes most places and buy local whenever possible.
Shadiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 02:04 PM   #18
referee54
Senior Member
 
referee54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbia Station, Ohio
Bikes: Just a Raleigh C-200 with many upgrades
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadiyah View Post
We recycle, ride our bikes most places and buy local whenever possible.
I work part-time for a producer farmer---buying local is awesome---fresh is best! Sweet corn, melons, beans, onions, potatoes, peppers...

Tim C.
referee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 02:05 PM   #19
bgilchrist
Senior Member
 
bgilchrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Bikes: 2012 RM Prestige CR 10, 2008 Scott S60FB, 2006 Jamis Dakar XLT, 1995 Kona AA
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know , the usual:

Bike commute
Clothesline instead of dryer
compost
farmers market
public transit
a/c only as necessary
European Front Load washer - 12 years old and only one model available in Canada that is more efficient.

A couple of others:

When I need hot water for washing floors, bike, etc. I take from the Hot Water tank's drain valve, this save water as it's instantly hot, and it also lengthens the life of the water heater as this cover off this semi annual flush that all manufacturers recommend

Most stuff seems common sense or I'm too cheap

I refuse plastic bags for another reason though - put two in a drawer and poof next thing you know you have 80000! No thanks!
bgilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 02:06 PM   #20
Shadiyah
KombuchaCHIC
 
Shadiyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SLC,UT
Bikes: Santa Cruz Juliana, 2005 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by referee54 View Post
I work part-time for a producer farmer---buying local is awesome---fresh is best! Sweet corn, melons, beans, onions, potatoes, peppers...

Tim C.
Absolutely! We hit up the Farmer's Market whenever we can and stock up. It's more likely to be organic as well, and it tastes better!
Shadiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 02:06 PM   #21
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i try not to buy much stuff. it's good for the environment, but it mostly has to do with me being cheap.

Last edited by timmhaan; 07-21-08 at 02:28 PM.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 02:23 PM   #22
sirpoopalot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i try to spend as little money as possible and mooch off others/the govt/the system/etc etc as much as possible. eg. using computers in the library, sitting and reading in the courthouse for the ac, etc.
sirpoopalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 04:17 PM   #23
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not use the A/C when it's +28c in my room because I don't have on in my room.
set the A/C to 25c in the living room because I'm used to being in a stinking hot room.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 05:57 PM   #24
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I bike. I like it and it's beyond cheaper than maintaining a fleet of cars. Too much other gratification for environmental issues to rate.

Farm share, I guess, too. We like the farmers and we like their food and it appears to have ancillary benefits hopefully maybe.

I buy meat and fish from hunters/fishers. Same deal as the farm share I guess.

edit: and I am a total lefty pinko so I am not just saying that I do these things for other than environmental reasons just to maintain non enviro-cred!
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 06:59 PM   #25
mrbubbles
?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not turning on the heat when it's 40F indoor. I like the cold.

Not drying the clothes in the dryer, line cloths is much faster than dryer (works as most of my clothes are polyester based (even down to my boxers and socks), I hardly wear cotton).

I carry a Sigg bottle with me pretty much all the time, I love water, but I hate paying Coca-Cola, Pepsi, etc for local bottled water.

Saving every box I get, I use them to store things.

Buying use when it makes sense to.

Minimize electronics and buying in general because I absolutely hate throwing things away.

Buy clothings that tend to stay in trend longer (ie. jeans, boots, white shirts, leather jackets, etc), because I hate changing the wardrobe every year.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 PM.