Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Handling the job search

    I'm searching for a job job for the first time. I'm finding a lot of jobs that I'm interested in and am coming across two things that i suspect are pretty normal. Both of these things involve jobs that would be hiring at various times.

    For instance, i applied for a job that stopped taking applications on the 16th and applied for another that is taking applications until the 23rd. One can assume that the job that stops taking apps on the 16th is going to make a decision before the job on the 23rd. Lets pretend that both companies want to hire me. This brings up the two issues i'm facing.

    1. Getting hired for two or more jobs with one that pays more.
    2. Getting hired for two or more jobs with one that I'm most interested in.

    This isn't a problem so much but lets say that i get hired for job A. next week and job B. the week after and then job C. the week after that.

    Job A pays less than B&C which both pay the same. I'm most interested in job C.

    How do you professionally handle a situation like this? I don't want to turn down a job holding out for a job i wont get, I'm not in a position to do that. But what do you do if a better opportunity comes up after you already accept a one?

    I suspect it would be annoying for a prospective employer to hire someone only to have them quit a week later. Is this sort of thing common? Are there proper steps in handling this?

  2. #2
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    One can assume that the job that stops taking apps on the 16th is going to make a decision before the job on the 23rd. Lets pretend that both companies want to hire me. This brings up the two issues i'm facing.
    now, I'm sure you're quite familiar with what happens when we assume...
    Large corporations will likely be much s.l.o.w.e.r. in their hiring process than smaller ones, so thats one thing to keep in mind.

    I think narrowing down what you want in a company above pay & benefits (opportunities for learning, both professional and personal growth, the work/life balance, etc) will help you make that decision. <--have you thought about those things?

    If you get hired at job A, and receive an offer that sounds better at job B, I don't see much of a problem calling job A and telling them what's up - you can always give them a chance to better their offer.

    If you've already started job A- at least for me, my ethics would tell me to stay put.

    eeeh! good luck

  3. #3
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    now, I'm sure you're quite familiar with what happens when we assume...
    Large corporations will likely be much s.l.o.w.e.r. in their hiring process than smaller ones, so thats one thing to keep in mind.
    I'm just saying in general. Thus far i've stayed away from large corp's anyways.

    Quote Originally Posted by artifice
    I think narrowing down what you want in a company above pay & benefits (opportunities for learning, both professional and personal growth, the work/life balance, etc) will help you make that decision. <--have you thought about those things?
    Honestly, all i need right now is a job that pays $XX,XXX and wont drive me completely off the wall. I'm going back to school within a year or two and right now just want to put a massive debt in my student loans so i can actually enjoy my life. I went to an expensive school and got two liberal arts degrees. Don't regret it but now have to pay for it

    Quote Originally Posted by artifice
    If you get hired at job A, and receive an offer that sounds better at job B, I don't see much of a problem calling job A and telling them what's up - you can always give them a chance to better their offer.

    If you've already started job A- at least for me, my ethics would tell me to stay put.

    eeeh! good luck
    Thanks for the input.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its tradeoffs. Are you willing to take a sucky job for more pay, and work on savings, or is it better for mental health to take a less lucrative position?

  5. #5
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
    Its tradeoffs. Are you willing to take a sucky job for more pay, and work on savings, or is it better for mental health to take a less lucrative position?
    Again, this is a short time thing and thus this is irrelevant. I had fun at school, now i need to put some time into paying for that fun. By doing this, i can go pursue a career that i care about rather than a job that pays. Either way, i'm not going to be making much money .

  6. #6
    NFL Owner monogodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Irving Heritage District
    My Bikes
    7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife just changed jobs. She started her job search during the last week of May, and had scheduled her last day at her previous job for June 30th. She went on numerous interviews with companies of various sizes. She ended up getting an offer from a small company that took a month and a half to complete the hiring process.

    My point is that even small companies can sometimes take their time to complete a hiring process. A lot of it depends on their needs, the number of applicants, and the quality level of applicants. If they don't need to fill the slot right away, they might be more willing to take their time to process the applications and interview prospective employees. Depending on the company & the position, a week could be considered extremely fast to sort through applications, call & schedule interviews, conduct interviews, sort through the best ones, call back for 2nd interviews, process drug screen & background check, etc., etc.
    198? Colnago Super (Campy Record) | 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-Eleven Team Issue (Dura Ace) | Catamount MFS (1x8) | Top Image Neptune (SS)

  7. #7
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I admit i have no idea what the private sector is like but these are both government jobs and i don't anticipate them taking long to hire. Especially the one i'm most interested in, as it's a school and schools'a'coming.

    Even still, i don't see how that changes the predicament. If it's a week from now or a month from now, how does one handle multiple job offers?

  8. #8
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    But what do you do if a better opportunity comes up after you already accept a one?

    I suspect it would be annoying for a prospective employer to hire someone only to have them quit a week later. Is this sort of thing common? Are there proper steps in handling this?
    Quitting so soon afterwards is a very bad idea. The world is much smaller than you think, and stunts like that will help you establish a reputation as a flake to be avoided (don't forget, you will also make an impression on those who would have been your coworkers). Incidentally, the employer you choose won't be impressed with what you did because it says something about how reliable you're likely to be.

    If you have multiple jobs to consider at once, you can plead for more time. However, the way that timing works out, you typically won't have as much as you need so you have to make a decision.

    The best way to handle these situations is to make the best decision you can with the time that you have. If you have no job already, the smart thing to do is take the less desirable job. Once you do this, contact any other employers, say flattering things about them, and remove yourself from consideration for other positions.

    This will help your reputation with all parties involved and help the employers do what they need to do.

  9. #9
    Senior Member hos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    552 LATA
    My Bikes
    2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    I admit i have no idea what the private sector is like but these are both government jobs and i don't anticipate them taking long to hire. Especially the one i'm most interested in, as it's a school and schools'a'coming.

    Even still, i don't see how that changes the predicament. If it's a week from now or a month from now, how does one handle multiple job offers?
    My experience with gov jobs is based on my own application process and my wifes. While I did not get the job (working for City)it was a 2 month process, with 3 or 4 interviews, the job went to someone within. My wifes was a 3 month process and she got the job for the state, however she had and inside contact.

    Also, I have had HR depts make me take the Wonderlic tests, it might be in your best interest to review and prepare for a test such as the Wonderlic.
    "Don't give up, don't ever give up" jimmyv

  10. #10
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    I admit i have no idea what the private sector is like but these are both government jobs and i don't anticipate them taking long to hire. Especially the one i'm most interested in, as it's a school and schools'a'coming.

    Even still, i don't see how that changes the predicament. If it's a week from now or a month from now, how does one handle multiple job offers?
    People tend to work for a long time in government offices and they talk with their colleagues in other institutions, so bailing right after being hired would be a major form of bridge burning.

    If you are good at what you do, there will be better opportunities later.

  11. #11
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hos13 View Post
    My experience with gov jobs is based on my own application process and my wifes. While I did not get the job (working for City)it was a 2 month process, with 3 or 4 interviews, the job went to someone within. My wifes was a 3 month process and she got the job for the state, however she had and inside contact.

    Also, I have had HR depts make me take the Wonderlic tests, it might be in your best interest to review and prepare for a test such as the Wonderlic.
    This particular job is willing to hire GED candidates...so, we'll see. I will look into it though because a marketing company i was interested in wanted that. I decided against applying with them (for other reasons).

  12. #12
    Senior Member hos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    552 LATA
    My Bikes
    2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    This particular job is willing to hire GED candidates...so, we'll see. I will look into it though because a marketing company i was interested in wanted that. I decided against applying with them (for other reasons).
    Yeah, it is kinda random, who gives the test.

    Good Luck.
    "Don't give up, don't ever give up" jimmyv

  13. #13
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banerjek View Post
    Quitting so soon afterwards is a very bad idea. The world is much smaller than you think, and stunts like that will help you establish a reputation as a flake to be avoided (don't forget, you will also make an impression on those who would have been your coworkers). Incidentally, the employer you choose won't be impressed with what you did because it says something about how reliable you're likely to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by banerjek View Post
    People tend to work for a long time in government offices and they talk with their colleagues in other institutions, so bailing right after being hired would be a major form of bridge burning.
    Also true in social services and non-profits. When people bail like that for a better job, our HR Director always flags their personnel file with a "not eligible for re-hire".
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •