Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-08, 07:30 PM   #1
rmp5s
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sleep issues...

...well, actually it's an issue with waking up. I was thinking today...

As long as I can remember, it's been crazy hard for me to get up every morning. No matter how long I sleep, no matter what I did the day/night before, nothing seems to matter...I always wake up immediately wanting to go back to sleep. Subconciously, I usually hit the snooze until that very last second before I'm going to be late...I even have reset the alarm and don't remember doing it.

Years ago, I went to a sleep specialist and he had no idea what the problem was, what he was talking about...nothing...all he knew was how to charge ludacris rates for doing nothing. I remember one day I had an appt for 2 or whatever, I got there at 1:50 or so, sat there till almost 2:30 before finally being called back. I sat down in his office, he asked me "is the medication helping?" I said no. "Well come back in a week and maybe we'll try something different" he said never looking up from writing my prescription refill.

Total time waiting in the waiting room, around a half hour. Total time in office being "treated", MAYBE 5 min. Bill for this visit: $75.

I never went back.

From then on, I just kinda delt with the problem as best I could.

I had surgery for a hernia last saturday and I've been on pain medication ever since. I've been taking ~6-8 percocet 5s for the past week for pain. In this week, I've waken up at ~10 am every day and rolled right out of bed feeling refreshed and ready to go like I never really have. Despite getting only 4-6 hrs of sleep (as little as only 3 hrs some nights), I feel great.

Did I find a "cure" for my problem? Obviously I can't take pain killers for ever but I really like not feeling like crap every morning. What's going on? Any ideas?
rmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 07:48 PM   #2
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp5s View Post
As long as I can remember, it's been crazy hard for me to get up every morning. No matter how long I sleep, no matter what I did the day/night before, nothing seems to matter...I always wake up immediately wanting to go back to sleep. Subconciously, I usually hit the snooze until that very last second before I'm going to be late...I even have reset the alarm and don't remember doing it.
I have this exact same issue. It's frustrating. I've always attributed it to not getting quality sleep (as in, sleeping for a long period, but not sleeping well enough for it to be as restful as it could be), or waking up a lot in the middle of the night. Sounds like the pain medication is either knocking you out, or relaxing you enough to the point where you can get better quality sleep.

I've found that completely cutting caffeine out of my diet helped immensely. Wearing some good earplugs to bed helps, as well.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 07:50 PM   #3
sirpoopalot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a double-shot of wisky b4 bed works for me
sirpoopalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 08:49 PM   #4
Steve530
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Bikes: Klein
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any chance you have sleep apnea?
Steve530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 02:03 AM   #5
rmp5s
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it could have something to do with quality of sleep rather than quantity but I dunno. That's really the only thing that makes sense but I've never found anything that fixed the problem until now. I dunno what I'm gunna do after I'm off the meds. Go back to the struggle, I guess. Either that or starting drinking before bed...lol (I have noticed sleeping better after a night of drinking than normal sometimes though...doesn't work like that much any more though.)

I did a polysomnogram back in the day and they didn't find any sleep apnea or anything like that.
rmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 02:50 AM   #6
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!
 
RubenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the same problem. Do like I did: Get a night job... problem solved.
RubenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 07:30 AM   #7
Steve530
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Bikes: Klein
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife insisted that I have a polysomnogram about 15 months ago. Apparently the excess weight has caused an apnea issue, so I ended up with a CPAP. I hate to use it, but it takes care of the problem. I wake up refreshed and ready to go. No more afternoon naps. And as a side benefit, my blood pressure is lower.
Steve530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 08:31 AM   #8
deraltekluge
Senior Member
 
deraltekluge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp5s View Post
I had surgery for a hernia last saturday and I've been on pain medication ever since. I've been taking ~6-8 percocet 5s for the past week for pain.
Really? What sort of hernia? I've had surgery twice to repair inguinal hernias, once on each side, and never needed pain medication afterward. Not that I'm "tough" or anything...they simply didn't hurt. It was kind of difficult to remember to take things easy for a while...no lifting or straining...because there was so little sensation to remind me.
deraltekluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 02:12 PM   #9
rmp5s
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
My wife insisted that I have a polysomnogram about 15 months ago. Apparently the excess weight has caused an apnea issue, so I ended up with a CPAP. I hate to use it, but it takes care of the problem. I wake up refreshed and ready to go. No more afternoon naps. And as a side benefit, my blood pressure is lower.
I dunno...it's been a long time since I did that test but I didn't have any type of apnea or restless leg issues then and I feel the same as I did...so I guess I still don't...*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraltekluge View Post
Really? What sort of hernia? I've had surgery twice to repair inguinal hernias, once on each side, and never needed pain medication afterward. Not that I'm "tough" or anything...they simply didn't hurt. It was kind of difficult to remember to take things easy for a while...no lifting or straining...because there was so little sensation to remind me.
Yea...that's what I had too. On the left side. I lived with mine since 8th or 9th grade (I'm 25 now...) so, if anyone can deal with pain, it's me. This **** hurts like hell. And it's a really weird hurt, too. It's not a sharp stinging (unless I move wrong which I guess pulls the incision apart...then it feels like I'm getting stabbed...) or a burning or a throbbing or whatever...it's...just...weird...lol I can barely walk, it's kinda hard to get up and sit down, I can't lift...it's basically just a big in inconvienence cuz I'm not one to sit around and do nothing. I like to ride my bike, run, lift weights, blah blah blah and I can't do ANYTHING now.

Doc did give me perc 10s though which makes sitting around...well...makes pretty much ANYTHING easier to do...lol



Ha ha...I posted a pic of a wiener.
rmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 04:35 PM   #10
Steve530
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Bikes: Klein
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp5s View Post
I dunno...it's been a long time since I did that test but I didn't have any type of apnea or restless leg issues then and I feel the same as I did...so I guess I still don't...*shrug*
If you don't have a problem with apnea, then you don't.

Looking back, I had noticed symptoms for a few years before She Who Must Be Obeyed decided I needed to be checked. She does have an annoying habit of being right about this stuff most of the time.

Best of luck.
Steve530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 04:50 PM   #11
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well when do you usually wake up? For me if I wake up when it's still dark, I have really hard time dragging myself out of bed, and feel very tired. Even if I get 8 hours of sleep. If I wake up when the sun is out, I feel much more refreshed even if I only got 4-5 hours of sleep.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 08:12 PM   #12
rmp5s
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
Well when do you usually wake up? For me if I wake up when it's still dark, I have really hard time dragging myself out of bed, and feel very tired. Even if I get 8 hours of sleep. If I wake up when the sun is out, I feel much more refreshed even if I only got 4-5 hours of sleep.
Amount of sleep really doesn't seem to matter, nor does when I wake up. I really think this happens because my quality of sleep sucks.

Other than using a schedule II narcotic, anyone know any ways to improve this?
rmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 PM.