Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-08, 04:40 PM   #1
carbonlife
carbon positive lifestyle
Thread Starter
 
carbonlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Heart of Darkness
Bikes: I got a red bike, and I got an orange bike.
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting article on internet trolls

Yesterday three Foo threads were locked because of a troll whose motivations of course are difficult for normal people to understand.

The Sunday NYT Magazine has an interesting article on internet trolls:

The Trolls Among Us

I still don't understand why some people enjoy being a--holes.

However, I'm not necessarily in favor of banning trolls. The best way to deal with known trolls is to ignore them; but of course it's impossible to get a whole forum of people to ignore a troll, some people just can't resist, and that's what trolls feed on.




Last edited by carbonlife; 08-03-08 at 07:10 PM.
carbonlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 04:49 PM   #2
crash66
Lucky 47
 
crash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The past
Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Elite
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonlife View Post
Yesterday three Foo threads were locked because of a troll whose motivations of course are difficult for normal people to understand.

The Sunday NYT Magazine has an interesting article on internet trolls:

The Trolls Among Us

I still don't understand why some people enjoy being a--holes.

However, I'm not necessarily in favor of banning trolls. The best way to deal with known trolls is to ignore them; but of course it's impossible to get a whole forum of people to ignore a troll, some people just can't resist, and that's what trolls feed on.





Yeah, interesting article.

What's funny is trolls are not unlike terrorists, the kind that always wear scarves over their faces. If they are so danm proud of what they do, you'd think they would show their real identity.

What I don't get is how the admin/mods here can't figure out that a troll is using a sock puppet until someone reports it. Shouldn't they be able to trace the origin of the sign on, or whatever (not exactly sure what terminology to use here) as soon as the puppet is established ?

Last edited by crash66; 08-03-08 at 04:53 PM.
crash66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 05:09 PM   #3
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.
 
fuzzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wandering aimlessly.
Bikes: A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So you're calling me a troll? a--hole


__________________

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
fuzzbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 06:21 PM   #4
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because we start with the assumption that a poster is innocent until proven guilty. Once we start to suspect though, we do start to try to identify the sock puppet users main account. Once we have that, we give them the opportunity to choose, and after that, if sock puppets are repeated, it's a permanent ban on all the ID's of the member.

We actually hate banning people and will try to bend over backwards to not have to do it.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 06:51 PM   #5
JaRow
trois, mon frère
 
JaRow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gainesville/Miami, FL
Bikes: '01 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '08 Giant TCR C2
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really like the writing of this article. Quite a bit of stuff I didn't know.
JaRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 06:52 PM   #6
JaRow
trois, mon frère
 
JaRow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gainesville/Miami, FL
Bikes: '01 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '08 Giant TCR C2
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Because we start with the assumption that a poster is innocent until proven guilty. Once we start to suspect though, we do start to try to identify the sock puppet users main account. Once we have that, we give them the opportunity to choose, and after that, if sock puppets are repeated, it's a permanent ban on all the ID's of the member.

We actually hate banning people and will try to bend over backwards to not have to do it.
Thanks for the insight.
JaRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 07:11 PM   #7
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There was some conversation about this article on Friday in P&R.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 07:16 PM   #8
carbonlife
carbon positive lifestyle
Thread Starter
 
carbonlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Heart of Darkness
Bikes: I got a red bike, and I got an orange bike.
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzbox View Post
So you're calling me a troll? a--hole

Not you, silly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Once we have that, we give them the opportunity to choose, and after that, if sock puppets are repeated, it's a permanent ban on all the ID's of the member.
"Hey, what do you have against sock puppets?!"

carbonlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 07:26 PM   #9
crash66
Lucky 47
 
crash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The past
Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Elite
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonlife View Post
Not you, silly.




"Hey, what do you have against sock puppets?!"

Sock puppets suck.

Now, scratch my belly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 610x.jpg (66.2 KB, 4 views)
crash66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 08:29 PM   #10
goldfishin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Because we start with the assumption that a poster is innocent until proven guilty. Once we start to suspect though, we do start to try to identify the sock puppet users main account. Once we have that, we give them the opportunity to choose, and after that, if sock puppets are repeated, it's a permanent ban on all the ID's of the member.

We actually hate banning people and will try to bend over backwards to not have to do it.

god knows we don't want you bending forwards!
goldfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 PM.