Here's the actual, not hypothetical situation. I graduated from a top 30 MBA program in the spring with a very high GPA.
On Thursday night, while at a ballgame, I got a voicemail from a current student I attended classes with. She said she "Had a business proposition for me. PLEASE call back." I left a return message and she called on Saturday.
She's been in other classes with me and even in a couple of group projects. Every group project I've been in usually is me and another student working hard and the others are tag-alongs. She was a tag-along.
She said she heard from others that I was a pro at the marketing class she is currently in. She has a take home final that she is struggling with and is very stressed and has worked with two tutors, but they are useless, etc, etc. Can I help? Her language was very fishy, so i said I'd think about it and let her know.
I get a text message from her saying that if I can make the time to do it for her, she'd pay me $200 if I included supporting materials.
Here are the two options with their pros and cons:
1. Nail her to the wall. Let the professor know.
- If she is doing it now, she's probably done it in the past
- The integrity of the degree and university
- It would assuage my indignation that although we have worked together before, she didn't think that i would be ethically challenged by this. To be honest, I'm pissed that she would consider that I'd be okay with even the suggestion.
- This is her last class before graduation. The degree costs $65k and she would likely get kicked out.
- She actually hasn't cheated - yet.
- It is a small world out there and her bad word of mouth about me might come back to haunt me - even though i'd be in the right.
- The tattling thing - ironically, I just watched a Brady Bunch rerun about this.
- The professor probably sticks it to the whole class in one way or another.
2. Let it go.
(This is what I've done. i told her I couldn't do it. She said that's cool and quickly dropped it.)
- Nobody's life gets disrupted
- I don't ruin her future
- She will probably do it and get away with it
What would YOU do?