Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-04, 12:26 PM   #1
foehn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Bikes:
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know why spandex shorts on men are considered by some to be "gay". . .

It's cuz' you aren't wearing big ol' football pads underneath them.

And sorry, you gotta wear a jock with those bike shorts (and football pads) or you're gonna "those looks!"

Look at all those football players--tight, tight spandex KNICKERS, for gawd's sake, but they are as all-out macho as any group of guys out there!

But you bicycle dudes do have a one-up on the football guys; you have MUCH nicer looking legs'n buns.

IMHO. . .

foehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 01:10 PM   #2
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,757
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
My fave Anthro prof wrote extensively on just this topic:

Dundes, Alan. “Into the Endzone: A Psychoanalytical Consideration of American Football.” Interpreting Folklore. Ed. A. Dundes. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1980.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 01:43 PM   #3
Underwear Nazi
Anti-Panty Commando
 
Underwear Nazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foehn
It's cuz' you aren't wearing big ol' football pads underneath them.

And sorry, you gotta wear a jock with those bike shorts (and football pads) or you're gonna "those looks!"

Look at all those football players--tight, tight spandex KNICKERS, for gawd's sake, but they are as all-out macho as any group of guys out there!

But you bicycle dudes do have a one-up on the football guys; you have MUCH nicer looking legs'n buns.

IMHO. . .

Wearing lycra bicycle shorts does not make a man gay. Being sexually attracted to other men makes a man gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

And if those football jocks are so macho, why are they always slapping each other on the ass and dancing like nancies in the endzone?

And if people want to give cyclists those looks, let them look! They can see what a real man looks like.

But putting a jock strap under bike shorts won't make a guy look manly. It'll just make him look dumb! He might as well tattoo "Please give me infected saddle sores" on his forehead.

Underwear Nazi
You're durn straight we have better legs and buns!
__________________
Nunquam ubi sub ubi!

Visit the Underwear Nazi Store and the Share the Road Store. All proceeds benefit BikeForums.net
Underwear Nazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 05:18 PM   #4
ngateguy
Center of the Universe
 
ngateguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700
Posts: 4,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwear Nazi
And if people want to give cyclists those looks, let them look! They can see what a real man looks like.
Here Here! with bike shorts there is no false advertising.You get what you see
But football why just what are they trying to hide under all those pads

and guys its about time you realize most athletes wear lycra now days when training and running. Why would you want to wear all that hot and heavy stuff when you are working out?
__________________
Matthew 6
ngateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 09:35 PM   #5
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foehn
It's cuz' you aren't wearing big ol' football pads underneath them.
Gee, and I thought it's because (around here at least) the majority of people are redneck dickheads. Oh well, bang goes that theory then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foehn
Look at all those football players--tight, tight spandex KNICKERS, for gawd's sake, but they are as all-out macho as any group of guys out there!
Oh that's nothing, you should see the gear the surfers around here wear everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foehn
But you bicycle dudes do have a one-up on the football guys; you have MUCH nicer looking legs'n buns.
Oh well, now if I can just find a way to ride in 50 tonnes of padding and not die of heat exhaustion, I might be able to score! BTW, what are your opinions on men who wear red?
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 09:36 PM   #6
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwear Nazi
Wearing lycra bicycle shorts does not make a man gay. Being sexually attracted to other men makes a man gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)
Kind of reminds me of a reply I'm saving up to use next time I get one of those "poofter" taunts (i.e. next time I wear red).

"You're staring at my ass, and I'm the one who's gay?"
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 09:49 PM   #7
foehn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Bikes:
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Red, RED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L
BTW, what are your opinions on men who wear red?
Are you trying to tell me red is one of "those" colors for men in Australia?

Goodness gracious!

I think red on a guy is jes' fine, unless his complexion clashes with it! If my husband wears certain shades of red, it makes him look like he's coming down with some disease. . .

Please, please explain about red down there!
foehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 09:56 PM   #8
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foehn
Are you trying to tell me red is one of "those" colors for men in Australia?

Goodness gracious!

I think red on a guy is jes' fine, unless his complexion clashes with it! If my husband wears certain shades of red, it makes him look like he's coming down with some disease. . .

Please, please explain about red down there!
Here in Queensland, which is about 35 years behind the rest of Australia, red is considered one of 'those' colours for men in Australia. I wear it because I happen to like it, but around here it seems a lot of 45 year old teenage rednecks do not. It's their problem, not mine.

Interestingly enough, I didn't get those sort of reactions when I wore it in Tasmania. I can only concur with my sister's philosophy on this issue. Often people in cooler climates are more civilised.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 09:58 PM   #9
foehn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Bikes:
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwear Nazi
Wearing lycra bicycle shorts does not make a man gay. Being sexually attracted to other men makes a man gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Yes, you are right, but there are a whole LOT of guys who wouldn't get caught dead in lycra--because they think it makes them look "un-manly"!

Quote:
And if those football jocks are so macho, why are they always slapping each other on the ass and dancing like nancies in the endzone?
I know why I'd be slapping football players asses in the end zone. They feel good!


Quote:
And if people want to give cyclists those looks, let them look! They can see what a real man looks like.
With the correct fit, they certainly CAN!


Quote:
But putting a jock strap under bike shorts won't make a guy look manly. It'll just make him look dumb! He might as well tattoo "Please give me infected saddle sores" on his forehead.
But don't you realize that under that tatoo, in small, fine print it'll say "I'm Bob B!tchin' and I am a real man, cuz I can put up with the pain. . ."


Quote:
Underwear Nazi
You're durn straight we have better legs and buns!
As for yer legs and buns, I'm a doubting Thomas--let's see em!
foehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 10:11 PM   #10
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci
 
LittleBigMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 8,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foehn
...there are a whole LOT of guys who wouldn't get caught dead in lycra--because they think it makes them look "un-manly"!
It probably would. For some men to slip into lycra shorts would be problematic, at best. The end result would not be pretty.

That's all I have to say about that.
__________________
No worries
LittleBigMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 11:25 PM   #11
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foehn
Yes, you are right, but there are a whole LOT of guys who wouldn't get caught dead in lycra--because they think it makes them look "un-manly"!
Any item of clothing that so prominantly displays the bits could hardly be described as 'unmanly'. Quite the opposite in fact - they leave no doubt as to the gender of the wearer.

As to thinking that bike shorts are 'gay' - it's never occured to me. I always thought the people yelling 'poofter' or '******' on their car windows were advertising rather than abusing. Unfortunately I'm happily married, so their offers don't temp me.
Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 11:51 PM   #12
MsVicki
Victoria's secret
 
MsVicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: east Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allister
As to thinking that bike shorts are 'gay' - it's never occured to me. I always thought the people yelling 'poofter' or '******' on their car windows were advertising rather than abusing. Unfortunately I'm happily married, so their offers don't temp me.
__________________
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
MsVicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 01:59 PM   #13
foehn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Bikes:
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allister
Any item of clothing that so prominantly displays the bits could hardly be described as 'unmanly'. Quite the opposite in fact - they leave no doubt as to the gender of the wearer.


As to thinking that bike shorts are 'gay' - it's never occured to me. I always thought the people yelling 'poofter' or '******' on their car windows were advertising rather than abusing. Unfortunately I'm happily married, so their offers don't temp me.
Maybe the people yelling the names ARE advertising, 'cuz they think the spandex is advertising?
foehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 06:16 PM   #14
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foehn
Maybe the people yelling the names ARE advertising, 'cuz they think the spandex is advertising?
You obviously haven't seen me in my bikeshorts. The only advertising I could do would involve my picture with the word 'Before' underneath it.
Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 08:00 PM   #15
wabbit
Sprockette
 
wabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think it's just the lycra; after all, other athletes wear lycra. It's also shaving legs, and being skinny. Let's face it, being thin and neat- well, you all know the rest. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Also bike shoes go clop clop when you walk, sort of like women's high heels. And cyclists will say things like, "How many fat grams did we burn?" etc. So you have skinny guys with shaved legs in lycra shorts with all their goodies outlined,wearing shoes that clop and worrying about how much fat they burn. SO it's not unlikely that the less enlightened will think they're gay. Not that there's anything wrong with it!
__________________
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. That's great...if you want to attract vermin.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 09:11 PM   #16
ngateguy
Center of the Universe
 
ngateguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700
Posts: 4,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit
I don't think it's just the lycra; after all, other athletes wear lycra. It's also shaving legs, and being skinny. Let's face it, being thin and neat- well, you all know the rest. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Also bike shoes go clop clop when you walk, sort of like women's high heels. And cyclists will say things like, "How many fat grams did we burn?" etc. So you have skinny guys with shaved legs in lycra shorts with all their goodies outlined,wearing shoes that clop and worrying about how much fat they burn. SO it's not unlikely that the less enlightened will think they're gay. Not that there's anything wrong with it!
Well I am thin, single never, married no kids, but neat thats a stretch, shave my legs NEVER that is gay (not that there is anything wrong with that.) I don't know how many fat grams I burn but I do tell people I ride so I can eat all the chocolate I want so I guess if you add that all up I could be mistaken for gay. But come on it takes a real man to wear bike shorts in public
__________________
Matthew 6
ngateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 09:21 PM   #17
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard
 
forum*rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, California
Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't worry guys, my science teacher supports gays so we can all go live with him
forum*rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 09:37 PM   #18
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It might be because I grew up in Werris Creek, but I can remember a time when "gay" actually meant "happy". Kind of puts a whole new perspective on this thread, doesn't it? In fact, last Monday's commute kind of reminds me of that ol' favourite "singing in the rain".
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-04, 04:47 PM   #19
MsVicki
Victoria's secret
 
MsVicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: east Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Men in spandex shorts are yummy.

__________________
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
MsVicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-04, 07:28 PM   #20
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVicki
Men in spandex shorts are yummy.

Before or after a ride?
Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-04, 09:21 AM   #21
georgesnatcher
newbie newbie
 
georgesnatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Happy to be in FLORIDA
Bikes: Titanium Indy Fab 29" mtb
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chris, enough with the fashion faux pas. Everyone knows basic black can be used for any occasion.
georgesnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-04, 11:55 PM   #22
AdrianB
Up there!
 
AdrianB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Bikes: Specialized Sequoia x 2
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can't really stop it showing Merton. Depends a lot on the cut of the shorts, position of your "meat and potatoes" and colour of your shorts. Put it where its comfy and bugger... erm, I mean ignore... the looks. If people want to stare at your crotch that is there problem.
__________________
Visit http://www.rooview.com.au a personal, independent and honest restaurant guide for South Australia!
AdrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-04, 12:12 AM   #23
Dutchy
We drive on the left.
 
Dutchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I've always wondered how ya'll keep the details of yer buldge from showing...
Just ride in cold weather and don't think about sex

Down here a lot of sports people shave their legs and wear lycra. Cricket players (Mark Waugh) shave their legs to stop the pad straps pulling out hairs and for the massage. Footy players shave to reduce the grass burn from sliding on grass, they also wear lycra tights in Winter during training.

CHEERS.

Mark
Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-04, 07:18 AM   #24
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
The solution is easy to lessen the public's resistance to cycling shorts...Keep a pair of somewhat longish soccer shorts in your jersey pocket..Put them on while off the bike.
No one knows the difference.. While on the bike, it is no ones' concern.
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-04, 06:46 PM   #25
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
The solution is easy to lessen the public's resistance to cycling shorts...Keep a pair of somewhat longish soccer shorts in your jersey pocket..Put them on while off the bike.
Or alternatively, just ignore people's stupid comments and continue to wear the cycling shorts wherever you damn well feel like it.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 PM.