Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    oh, the horrid smell.

    its been awhile since we've had a bad smell thread, thought we were due for a new one.

    Its not that horrid, really just a faint scent, that is driving me up the wall.

    After being in my apartment for about a week I started noticing a mildew smell (initially assumed it was wood that had gotten wet under the sink)... I have since narrowed it down to the sink/garbage disposal. The disposal isn't working properly, but there isn't food in it that hasn't been flushed down, so I'm having a hard time figuring out why the faint odor?


    I've tried...
    • bleach
    • baking soda
    • baking soda + vinegar
    • ice cubes
    • ice cubes + soap
    • lemons
    • lemons + ice cubes

    to no avail.
    Any other ideas? I'm waiting on the management to come take a look, but its driving me NUTS!!

  2. #2
    Bring May Flowers aprilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Soon to be South Carolina!
    My Bikes
    '10 Kuota Kebel
    Posts
    961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may not have food down there, but it doesn't mean *something* isn't growing. I rarely throw food down the sink, but I still have to turn it on every few days to get rid of that faint smell.

  3. #3
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read many times and places to use vinegar for getting rid of a smell. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  4. #4
    Subjectively Insane MilitantPotato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    My Bikes
    '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx
    Posts
    804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a dish washer?
    Mine empties into my garbage disp. and the hose grows some serious funk from time to time. We run bleach through the washer to fix it.

    Does your sink have a U trap under it? Someone might of gone DIY on a leak down there and not installed one. It stops sewer gasses from backing up into the sink drain.

  5. #5
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    its been awhile since we've had a bad smell thread, thought we were due for a new one.

    Its not that horrid, really just a faint scent, that is driving me up the wall.

    After being in my apartment for about a week I started noticing a mildew smell (initially assumed it was wood that had gotten wet under the sink)... I have since narrowed it down to the sink/garbage disposal. The disposal isn't working properly, but there isn't food in it that hasn't been flushed down, so I'm having a hard time figuring out why the faint odor?


    I've tried...
    • bleach
    • baking soda
    • baking soda + vinegar
    • ice cubes
    • ice cubes + soap
    • lemons
    • lemons + ice cubes

    to no avail.
    Any other ideas? I'm waiting on the management to come take a look, but its driving me NUTS!!
    Go to the co-op and find a product called "Bac-Out", got some enzymes in it, supposed to digest stank. On the other hand, could be worse. Over the weekend I went to the bat house w/ one of my boys. Bat guano = head dizzying stench.

  6. #6
    Kicked out of the Webelos bluebottle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if it's any comfort, I just removed a dead rat from the roof a couple days ago. After they've been baking in Texas heat for a day or two they are, shall we say, a tad pungent.
    ______________________________________________

    Kicked out of the Webelos.

  7. #7
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Probably bone fragments and teeth. Those things start to really smell bad after a bit of time in a disposal. Kitchen appliances really should only be used as a last resort for body disposal.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  8. #8
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitantPotato View Post
    Do you have a dish washer?
    Mine empties into my garbage disp. and the hose grows some serious funk from time to time. We run bleach through the washer to fix it.

    Does your sink have a U trap under it? Someone might of gone DIY on a leak down there and not installed one. It stops sewer gasses from backing up into the sink drain.
    hmm good question. I do have a dishwasher, I'll try bleach in there.
    I'm not sure what U trap is, but since I'm renting I'll let the apt take care of looking into that, lest I play plumber and break something.

  9. #9
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Probably bone fragments and teeth. Those things start to really smell bad after a bit of time in a disposal. Kitchen appliances really should only be used as a last resort for body disposal.
    I recommend wood chippers and a lake....preferably in Fargo.

  10. #10
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    I recommend wood chippers and a lake....preferably in Fargo.
    No originality, *gosh*
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  11. #11
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mother, who cleans for a living - didn't run the ice cube bit as she was afraid to tear the darn thing apart (I'm not a fan of disposals) - and so would every so often toss some Comet (with bleach) over the top and let it sit (not run water, etc). That was a minor fix.

    Personally I shut it off and stuck my hand down it with ye old Comet with bleach on a scrubbee - you would NOT BELIEVE the slimy black thick gooey stuff I took out of it - especially the underside of the rubber top portion. And with that - I did not smell the yuck.

    My roommate has a double sink - but tend to put their dirty plates, etc into one side of the sink - and so not really use the other side that much - which is the one right in front of you when you walk up to it - smells like a sewer at times. He even commented on it finally. I ran bleach down the sink and let it sit for a bit then ran hot water. This morning it smells just fine.

    I luvs me bleach products.

  12. #12
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    No originality, *gosh*
    I don't do original! Never have.....I just consume and regurgitate.

  13. #13
    T-Shirt Guy ehidle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another thread about your cat's stinky poo?

    Please make it stop...
    Yellow + Blue Jerseys!

    Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
    Men's
    and Women's designs available

  14. #14
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a dead cat somewhere around? Those tend to stink after a bit...

  15. #15
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tude View Post
    My mother, who cleans for a living - didn't run the ice cube bit as she was afraid to tear the darn thing apart (I'm not a fan of disposals) - and so would every so often toss some Comet (with bleach) over the top and let it sit (not run water, etc). That was a minor fix.

    Personally I shut it off and stuck my hand down it with ye old Comet with bleach on a scrubbee - you would NOT BELIEVE the slimy black thick gooey stuff I took out of it - especially the underside of the rubber top portion. And with that - I did not smell the yuck.

    My roommate has a double sink - but tend to put their dirty plates, etc into one side of the sink - and so not really use the other side that much - which is the one right in front of you when you walk up to it - smells like a sewer at times. He even commented on it finally. I ran bleach down the sink and let it sit for a bit then ran hot water. This morning it smells just fine.

    I luvs me bleach products.
    oh yeah, I did that too. rubber glove + scrubby sponge + comet = no luck. (no black goo either)

    I love comet.


    Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Yet another thread about your cat's stinky poo?

    Please make it stop...
    eeh, no. no cat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •