Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-08, 10:59 PM   #1
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique
Thread Starter
 
UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
School Question

I'm taking 100 level classes and many of the students aren't really interested in what's happening or don't really have the skill sets to do well in those classes. I've done a couple labs now and I feel as though I'm carrying my partners. Being a former teacher, it's against my nature to do all of it by myself, and also seems drastically unfair that I do the work while they profit off me. But really, should I care? This is my education and my money is going towards it. If the other students are making a buck off my hard work, should it really bother me, because I'm getting more out of it than I would if I sat back more.

Interesting problem I wouldn't have thought of...
UnsafeAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 11:19 PM   #2
JF1
Senior Member
 
JF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait, you are taking 100 level classes but you say you are a teacher? How so?
JF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 11:23 PM   #3
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique
Thread Starter
 
UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1 View Post
Wait, you are taking 100 level classes but you say you are a teacher? How so?
Magic... I taught Career and Tech Ed. classes. There's a certain number of years of actual experience that has to be had, but a degree is optional. Welding, Auto mechanics, things like that don't require a degree.
UnsafeAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 11:25 PM   #4
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
make them hold up their end of the bargain. I say you sleep with all of them
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 11:27 PM   #5
deraltekluge
Senior Member
 
deraltekluge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Think of it as part of the learning process...helping other students also helps you learn the material better, I've found.
deraltekluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 11:37 PM   #6
JF1
Senior Member
 
JF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always hated the group projects and assignments too. There was always at least one guy/girl who didn't pull their weight. For some reason, Professors love this kind of thing so you might as well get used to it.
My goal was to get good grades so I pretty much just bent over and did the work required for it. The one good thing about it though is the Professor usually lets you rate the work of your partners at the end of the project or class.
JF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 06:03 AM   #7
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1 View Post
I always hated the group projects and assignments too. There was always at least one guy/girl who didn't pull their weight. For some reason, Professors love this kind of thing so you might as well get used to it.
My goal was to get good grades so I pretty much just bent over and did the work required for it. The one good thing about it though is the Professor usually lets you rate the work of your partners at the end of the project or class.
Fewer assignments to grade
apricissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 06:18 AM   #8
TitaniuMerlin
Boffin
 
TitaniuMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Windermere (Orlando), Florida
Bikes: 2003 LeMond Alpe d'Huez, 2000 Merlin Road Titanium (Carbon Fiber Front Fork)
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thus is the problem with level 100 courses which everyone has to take despite their focus. My Weather and Climate class (filled the science course/lab requirement) was with a bunch of pot-heads (no joke, at least one was a known dealer) who didn't know squat. Easiest class ever, and I got lucky with my lap partner being a non-pot head. We'd breeze through the labs, finish at least 30 mins ahead of everyone else. Hell, most people took an hour and a half to complete the final - i finished in just under 30 minutes! (and aced it, mind you).
TitaniuMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 06:26 AM   #9
oakback
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you tried talking to the professor? I know some profs have huge classes and don't want to hear from the students, but some have smaller classes and offer their office hours and such.
oakback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 07:04 AM   #10
ehidle
T-Shirt Guy
 
ehidle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lansdale, PA
Bikes: 2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You had better get used to it. We live in an increasingly entitlement-driven society where a larger and larger percentage of the population expects to be carried along on the backs of the high achievers.
__________________
Yellow + Blue Jerseys!

Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
Men's
and Women's designs available
ehidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 07:07 AM   #11
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
make them hold up their end of the bargain. I say you sleep with all of them
Best school advice given EVAR in teh history of 4Evar.

*note to self, do not copy off of AEO's quizzes.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 07:30 AM   #12
artifice
superArti
 
artifice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnersoter
Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the end do you have a chance to assess your partners?
thats when you get a chance to rat them out

teachers aren't stupid, they know anyway. take advantage of your education and let them take theirs for granted. You'll be ahead in the end anyway.
artifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 07:34 AM   #13
black_box
Fax Transport Specialist
 
black_box's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chicago burbs
Bikes: '17 giant propel, '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
might be a good time to ask the professor if you'll have the chance to grade your co-workers effort and contributions.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 08:34 AM   #14
Ka_Jun
Who farted?
 
Ka_Jun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniuMerlin View Post
Thus is the problem with level 100 courses which everyone has to take despite their focus. My Weather and Climate class (filled the science course/lab requirement) was with a bunch of pot-heads (no joke, at least one was a known dealer) who didn't know squat. Easiest class ever, and I got lucky with my lap partner being a non-pot head. We'd breeze through the labs, finish at least 30 mins ahead of everyone else. Hell, most people took an hour and a half to complete the final - i finished in just under 30 minutes! (and aced it, mind you).
I don't think finishing at least 30 minutes ahead of everyone else with your lap partner is much to brag about. They have medications for that.
Ka_Jun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 08:39 AM   #15
ritepath
Senior Member
 
ritepath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia
Bikes: CRF150
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Every core class in my major had a lab, and it always ended up with one or two people doing the work and calculations and one or two doing nothing but writing the results down.

I always ended up with iranians for lab partners.
__________________
Love one another
ritepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 08:57 AM   #16
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're doing all the work then keep all your work to yourself. They can't benefit off you if you aren't letting them.

If you get a project, just explain to teacher the situations you've had in past and request you be allowed to do it by yourself. You're doing more work, but if you are already doing all the work, then are you really doing more work? Then you don't have to worry about poor work of others affecting YOUR grade.

I did this through much of college for the same reasons. I did many big multi-person projects by myself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 09:02 AM   #17
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritepath View Post
Every core class in my major had a lab, and it always ended up with one or two people doing the work and calculations and one or two doing nothing but writing the results down.

I always ended up with iranians for lab partners.
Out of curiosity, was this good or bad?

Historically, foreign students have been among the hardest workers, but in the University I attended recently, I discussed some possible cheating with an instructor when I saw him looking my way during a test and was afraid he thought I was involved. It doesn't help that I sometimes talk to myself when I work things through... I try not to do this in class, but sometimes I am sure my lips move, even if I don't say anything.

For some reason, there is a trend for the foreign students in this particular University to try to get through with the minimum of work, and cheat (though this is not universal). This includes grad students.

I have known some very hard working foreign students, but apparently it may not be the case as often as it used to be.
__________________
Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 10:05 AM   #18
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)
Posts: 3,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
I'm taking 100 level classes and many of the students aren't really interested in what's happening or don't really have the skill sets to do well in those classes. I've done a couple labs now and I feel as though I'm carrying my partners. Being a former teacher, it's against my nature to do all of it by myself, and also seems drastically unfair that I do the work while they profit off me. But really, should I care? This is my education and my money is going towards it. If the other students are making a buck off my hard work, should it really bother me, because I'm getting more out of it than I would if I sat back more.

Interesting problem I wouldn't have thought of...
Welcome to college!
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 10:05 AM   #19
black_box
Fax Transport Specialist
 
black_box's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chicago burbs
Bikes: '17 giant propel, '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Little Darwin, I worked with quite a few foreign students (undergrad). Now that you mention it, the one I distinctly remember as not pulling his weight in a semester long group project (8-10 person software team) was most likely of middle-eastern decent. He was the one that was not getting things completed, or "sick" during the group meetings, then miraculously getting an 'A' on the exam the next day while the rest of us put time into the project (doing his work) instead of studying. The group discussed this and it was a shared opinion.

The other foreign students in that group I believe were Indian, Pakistani, or similar ethnic background. They were exemplary students, group workers, and people. Down to earth, smart, hard-working, reliable, and excellent english/communication skills (better than most US citizens). The asians I worked with were typically more difficult to communicate with.

Those are just the experiences that stand out, I'm sure there were exceptions.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 10:42 AM   #20
ritepath
Senior Member
 
ritepath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia
Bikes: CRF150
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
Out of curiosity, was this good or bad?

Historically, foreign students have been among the hardest workers, but in the University I attended recently, I discussed some possible cheating with an instructor when I saw him looking my way during a test and was afraid he thought I was involved. It doesn't help that I sometimes talk to myself when I work things through... I try not to do this in class, but sometimes I am sure my lips move, even if I don't say anything.

For some reason, there is a trend for the foreign students in this particular University to try to get through with the minimum of work, and cheat (though this is not universal). This includes grad students.

I have known some very hard working foreign students, but apparently it may not be the case as often as it used to be.

I worked with the same two guys for several labs 90-91....one was big and lazy and spoke very broken eNgisH, he wasn't that useful at times. The second was my age and spoke almost perfect english (perfect for WV)so I was able to get ideas across to him much better, we all three got along great. They were smart indeed, but not that good with their hands it would seem...or maybe I should not that good with hands-on stuff.
__________________
Love one another
ritepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 10:43 AM   #21
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_box View Post
The other foreign students in that group I believe were Indian, Pakistani, or similar ethnic background. They were exemplary students, group workers, and people. Down to earth, smart, hard-working, reliable, and excellent english/communication skills (better than most US citizens).
The thing is that historically, this is a group I would have had strong agreement with you on. It is however one of the groups with "ethics" issues in the university last year. It is potentially isolated to just one group of students in one university, that is why I was asking... just curious. Your response has helped me to see that it is probably just isolated.
__________________
Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 PM.