Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What's this flower?



    East Hill? Do you know?
    It has no foliage, just this stalk of spiral flowers.

    For those that don't know, I'm in Northern Georgia.

  2. #2
    STICK IT IN YOU TeddyKGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant XTC 2, Trek 2.1
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2008 Trek 2.1

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are the man, thank you!

  4. #4
    STICK IT IN YOU TeddyKGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant XTC 2, Trek 2.1
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
    You are the man, thank you!
    I googled, 'spiral-white flower' and this was on page two. I don't want anybody here thinking I know too much about flowers...
    2008 Trek 2.1

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google. *flicks self in forehead*

  6. #6
    Senior Member ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never seen that before. Cool find Allen. Does it grow naturally around here?
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    I have never seen that before. Cool find Allen. Does it grow naturally around here?
    I've seen 10 or 15 here at the farm this year. I found this one in the transition zone between woods and pasture.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kind of reminds me of a rattlers tail.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  9. #9
    Hazardous Taerom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Quarantine
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mother Nature is amazing.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    kind of reminds me of a rattlers tail.
    Much better common name than its real one, the Northern Slender Ladies' Tresses, which is just awkward.

  11. #11
    CPM M4 BananaTugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
    My Bikes
    Light.
    Posts
    4,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a freaking pointy flower.
    Ten tenths.

  12. #12
    Footballus vita est iamlucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
    Posts
    2,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taerom View Post
    Mother Nature is amazing.
    And orchids are quite the showcase of that:

    "The Royal Botanical Gardens of Kew list 880 genera and nearly 22,000 accepted species, but the exact number is unknown (perhaps as many as 25,000)[3] because of taxonomic disputes. The number of orchid species equals about four times the number of mammal species...About 800 new orchid species are added each year."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchid

    Even more impressive when you consider that orchids are categorized at the family level, while mammals are an entire class. Of course, taxonomy is a little imprecise, but you get the picture.

    (Kingdom > phylum > class > order > family > genus > species for those who forgot).
    "The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad

  13. #13
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty! and of the orchid family!

  14. #14
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,551
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In N GA you should definitely have this:

    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Newcombs-Wildflower-Guide-Lawrence-Newcomb/dp/0316604429"]Amazon.com: Newcomb's Wildflower Guide: Lawrence Newcomb: Books[/ame]

    (I think it bottoms out in TN but should work at least through all the mtns and it's definitely my favorite plant field guide of all)

    (woah, weird link abbreviation there)

    ps-> tree of life gave up rather than tackle the orchids:

    http://www.tolweb.org/Asparagales/21333
    Last edited by HardyWeinberg; 09-15-08 at 11:35 AM.

  15. #15
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
    Google. *flicks self in forehead*
    Hey that's MY job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still waiting for that arm bar.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ravenmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,059
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    And orchids are quite the showcase of that:

    "The Royal Botanical Gardens of Kew list 880 genera and nearly 22,000 accepted species, but the exact number is unknown (perhaps as many as 25,000)[3] because of taxonomic disputes. The number of orchid species equals about four times the number of mammal species...About 800 new orchid species are added each year."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchid

    Even more impressive when you consider that orchids are categorized at the family level, while mammals are an entire class. Of course, taxonomy is a little imprecise, but you get the picture.

    (Kingdom > phylum > class > order > family > genus > species for those who forgot).
    I visited the rain forests in Ecuador many moons ago. There was a guy we were going to visit that people referred to as "the orchid guy". Some botanical researcher that focused only on orchids. They told me he had discovered a species of orchid so tiny you needed a magnifying glass to see it properly, and that he had also discovered a glow in the dark variety. I don't know if that was true or not, and sadly I didn't get to find out as I never got a chance to visit him. But having seen the things I saw there in the fringe of the Amazon I really don't doubt they were possible.
    Ravenmore's Pictures
    Ravenmore's Photo Blog

    Mean people are like slinkys. They're really not worth much but still are rather entertaining to watch tumble down the stairs.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
    I visited the rain forests in Ecuador many moons ago. There was a guy we were going to visit that people referred to as "the orchid guy". Some botanical researcher that focused only on orchids. They told me he had discovered a species of orchid so tiny you needed a magnifying glass to see it properly, and that he had also discovered a glow in the dark variety. I don't know if that was true or not, and sadly I didn't get to find out as I never got a chance to visit him. But having seen the things I saw there in the fringe of the Amazon I really don't doubt they were possible.
    I know of one that is a chimera (firefly genes were grafted into it).
    As yet I think it is unnamed.




  19. #19
    Senior Member ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's a fungus that grows in the woods that glows at night. If memmory serves me correctly its called firefox.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  20. #20
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    I think there's a fungus that grows in the woods that glows at night. If memmory serves me correctly its called firefox.
    Wasn't there a series of books about Appalachia named after that fungus?

  21. #21
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,551
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
    Wasn't there a series of books about Appalachia named after that fungus?
    Yes. Well, the books/program are Firefox, the fungus is Foxfire. There is a Foxfire Museum in Rabun County GA, the program is/was run out of a private school there, was never sure if the school was for rich kids boarding away from their Atlanta homes, or poor kids bussed out there.

    Boy try to google 'foxfire' and get something not to do w/ web browsers, not easy to do.

    Ah, google = wrong source:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxfire_books has a bit of the story plus the link back to the motherlode:

    http://www.foxfire.org/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •