Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    by a big river
    Posts
    2,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Plague of Biblical Proportions

    Does anybody else have this to look forward to? Yep, the 17 year cicadas are coming. Before too long I'll have to put fenders on my rides to keep bug guts from being flung everywhere. They are estimated to reach a population density of 100 per square meter. Things will get messy. I will definitely post some photos once the invasion is underway for the people that don't have any experience with this sort of thing. The upshot (and there always is one) I won't have to carry power bars on my long rides...if I need nourishment or protein I can just scoop up a handful of these snack sized critters.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Forest Park Il
    My Bikes
    Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we had cicadas here last summer.

  3. #3
    I couldn't car less. jeff williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
    Posts
    4,404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
    Ever seen pics of land dwelling crabs of Christmas Island?
    Waves of CRABS.
    When they come FROM the sea they are itty bitty guys.
    When they leave from the forest to go to the ocean, they are big crabs.
    A town is in between the forest and the sea.
    The town gets crawled over, crabs everywhere!
    I wonder which is worse, A zillion small, or a million big?

  4. #4
    Senior Member vixen2yall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    My Bikes
    Greenspeed GTC (Sheila) 2001 model, raleigh S.U.B. touring (Francis the talking M.U.L.E.) 2003 model, Marin Belvadere (Ursa) 2006 model,
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff williams
    BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
    Ever seen pics of land dwelling crabs of Christmas Island?
    Waves of CRABS.
    When they come FROM the sea they are itty bitty guys.
    When they leave from the forest to go to the ocean, they are big crabs.
    A town is in between the forest and the sea.
    The town gets crawled over, crabs everywhere!
    I wonder which is worse, A zillion small, or a million big?
    *shutters*
    that just gives me the willies.

  5. #5
    Cyclist and village idiot ridealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Amelia Oh
    My Bikes
    2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana S 2001 Trek 2200 1999 Schwinn Mesa 1989 Mangussa?
    Posts
    486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MKRG
    Does anybody else have this to look forward to? Yep, the 17 year cicadas are coming. Before too long I'll have to put fenders on my rides to keep bug guts from being flung everywhere. They are estimated to reach a population density of 100 per square meter. Things will get messy. I will definitely post some photos once the invasion is underway for the people that don't have any experience with this sort of thing. The upshot (and there always is one) I won't have to carry power bars on my long rides...if I need nourishment or protein I can just scoop up a handful of these snack sized critters.

    I saw that in Sundays paper and I am not looking forward to it this year. Supposed to be worse than the last time. Hope it does not effect riding to much
    Fear is never boring

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    by a big river
    Posts
    2,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! Wait a second...I'm the village idiot, my Mom told me so and this town ain't big enough for two of us!

  7. #7
    Senior Member joeprim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northern Neck Tidewater Va.
    Posts
    1,688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep there on their way here too.
    Joe

  8. #8
    I couldn't car less. jeff williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
    Posts
    4,404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeprim
    Yep there on their way here too.
    Joe
    They are not coming. They live in the ground where they, for 6 to 17? years live as a grub or beetle then all go up trees to make noise, mate and go back into the earth.
    A day in the life...

    http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fa...gan/Index.html

    This site has audio files- annoy your neighbors!
    Sites said 1-17 year colony cycles-13 and 17 being most noted ( prob colony size)
    and Austrailia 6-7 years.

    Could be worse-LOCUSTS! AHHHHHHHHHH!
    Last edited by jeff williams; 03-02-04 at 07:53 PM.

  9. #9
    Cyclist and village idiot ridealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Amelia Oh
    My Bikes
    2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana S 2001 Trek 2200 1999 Schwinn Mesa 1989 Mangussa?
    Posts
    486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MKRG
    Hey! Wait a second...I'm the village idiot, my Mom told me so and this town ain't big enough for two of us!
    Come on! You know Cincinnati has plenty of room for more idiots! Just look at city council.
    Fear is never boring

  10. #10
    Traffic shark
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.
    Posts
    4,612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff williams
    BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
    Ever seen pics of land dwelling crabs of Christmas Island?
    Waves of CRABS.
    When they come FROM the sea they are itty bitty guys.
    When they leave from the forest to go to the ocean, they are big crabs.
    A town is in between the forest and the sea.
    The town gets crawled over, crabs everywhere!
    I wonder which is worse, A zillion small, or a million big?
    Crab salad, if you ask me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •