Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 88

Thread: beware, denver.

  1. #1
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    beware, denver.

    9AM Friday, interview with the big cheeses out there!! I'm pretty excited. I plan on arriving in the early morning Thursday to soak up the area, and leaving on Sat evening. Right now, I'm super excited!! I'm not sure it has all sunk in yet. By Wednesday I will be a stress mess (not nervous, I don't 'do' nervous).

    Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated! Any locals with ideas on places to stay, check out, neighborhoods, etc- also appreciated. I'm kinda a yuppy city/suburbanite, so anywhere in the vicinity, particularly south side, since thats where the bread-winning job is. (a big thanks to Snowy who has already been a big help!)

  2. #2
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo!!

  3. #3
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhhhh room service.

    Oriental massage. Tell em vinny sent ya.

  4. #4
    Rookie Lollygag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far South from the downtown area are your going to be? Maybe you should try out the Capitol Hill Mansion B&B - it's about 3 or 4 blocks from the capitol. The downtown area is a happening place - check out the 16th street shopping mall (outside). I don't live in Denver, but is one of my favorite destinations and I've spent a lot of weekends there. I tried to buy a business there about 2 years ago, but couldn't get the seller to lower his price.... anyway. Lots of good dining in d/t area.

    Good luck with your interview. You go get that job girl!

  5. #5
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks lollygag! I will be abot 15 miles south of downtown, I may not be staying that close to downtown considering my interview is at 9AM and I have NO idea what traffic looks like there. I'll most likely stay as close as possible to the interview destination. But I'll check out the area for eats!

  6. #6
    Dude wheres my guads? skinnyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Guess
    My Bikes
    Not enough
    Posts
    2,680
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please eat a big city burrito, potato burrito. Oh check out a rockies game if you are interested, you can get tickets for cheap and its fun! Red rocks amphitheater is neato as well. If you make it down to boulder say hi for.

    In fact if you take your bike shoes (there are a few good bike rental stores that actually provide bikes with clipless) you can have a fun climb upto Boulder falls/Nederland or Flagstaff up Broadway. Doubt if you have time

    Oh and lastly drive up for an hour or so up 70-W and you could get to loveland pass on top of the continental divide! Loveland ski area is to your right and A-Basin to your left. I know its early for any snow but you will get an idea of how big the ski areas are.

  7. #7
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyone View Post
    Please eat a big city burrito, potato burrito. Oh check out a rockies game if you are interested, you can get tickets for cheap and its fun! Red rocks amphitheater is neato as well. If you make it down to boulder say hi for.

    In fact if you take your bike shoes (there are a few good bike rental stores that actually provide bikes with clipless) you can have a fun climb upto Boulder falls/Nederland or Flagstaff up Broadway. Doubt if you have time

    Oh and lastly drive up for an hour or so up 70-W and you could get to loveland pass on top of the continental divide! Loveland ski area is to your right and A-Basin to your left. I know its early for any snow but you will get an idea of how big the ski areas are.
    And get up in Indian peaks wilderness. Do some rafting on the Colorado River. Do the Fort Collins brewery tour. Gotta climb Pikes Peak or Longs Peak, too.

    Geez..you're gonna have one yeckuva busy 2 days..

  8. #8
    Dude wheres my guads? skinnyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Guess
    My Bikes
    Not enough
    Posts
    2,680
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    And get up in Indian peaks wilderness. Do some rafting on the Colorado River. Do the Fort Collins brewery tour. Gotta climb Pikes Peak or Longs Peak, too.

    Geez..you're gonna have one yeckuva busy 2 days..
    Yeah plus she has to stalk you.

  9. #9
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyone View Post
    Please eat a big city burrito, potato burrito. Oh check out a rockies game if you are interested, you can get tickets for cheap and its fun! Red rocks amphitheater is neato as well. If you make it down to boulder say hi for.

    In fact if you take your bike shoes (there are a few good bike rental stores that actually provide bikes with clipless) you can have a fun climb upto Boulder falls/Nederland or Flagstaff up Broadway. Doubt if you have time

    Oh and lastly drive up for an hour or so up 70-W and you could get to loveland pass on top of the continental divide! Loveland ski area is to your right and A-Basin to your left. I know its early for any snow but you will get an idea of how big the ski areas are.
    I am afraid if I get that close and cannot ski I may cry. I'm already planning to carry on everything I need for the interview- and check a bag with my running and biking gear, just in case. not sure I'd hit a baseball game solo? wow, I better learn to do things alone if I'm moving somewhere that I only kind of know abot 5 people in a 60 mile radius.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    And get up in Indian peaks wilderness. Do some rafting on the Colorado River. Do the Fort Collins brewery tour. Gotta climb Pikes Peak or Longs Peak, too.

    Geez..you're gonna have one yeckuva busy 2 days..
    lol no kidding, sounds like my two days are planned. I am confirming with the job that they are only popping for 1 day of expenses. I'm assuming the 2nd night hotel/car is already on me.... sooo, bleh. I plan to do a lot of driving around, prob sitting in coffee shops, etc. check out the areas, the people.

  10. #10
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyone View Post
    Yeah plus she has to stalk you.
    True. I might make it easier on her, though, and make a trip down to D-town.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Miguelangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ositoland
    My Bikes
    Lemond Tourmalet
    Posts
    373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post

    lol no kidding, sounds like my two days are planned. I am confirming with the job that they are only popping for 1 day of expenses. I'm assuming the 2nd night hotel/car is already on me.... sooo, bleh. I plan to do a lot of driving around, prob sitting in coffee shops, etc. check out the areas, the people.
    Why only one night? Is there a possibility of leaving the same day of the interview? Or arrive the day of the interview and leave next morning? If this is so then its understandable... if not, It sounds awfully stingy, I do not know what type of job you are applying for, what level or what industry... but if they are like this at the start when you are just getting to know each other... I cant imagine how it will be once you are in.... Is this your first interview? If its the last one...Will you move without getting to know a bit of the area you are moving to? I think this would be very inconsiderate from them.... It better pay well and be a hell of an opportunity... anyway... Best of luck!!! Get the job!!! then you'll have time to think about it...

  12. #12
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooooooo good luck to you, Artifice!! We have quite a few Fooster out that way and maybe you will be able to meet with them. If you do, please tell us about it, okay? My fingers are crossed for you on this job interview!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  13. #13
    Chief Slacking Officer ms.gio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The City by the Lake
    My Bikes
    Fuji Track SE, Cannondale R300
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arti, I wish you the best of luck! I know you'll do an amazing job. You have a great head on your shoulders.
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    Giolander: There can be only one.
    Giodome: Several impostors enter, only the real one leaves?

  14. #14
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    I am afraid if I get that close and cannot ski I may cry. I'm already planning to carry on everything I need for the interview- and check a bag with my running and biking gear, just in case. not sure I'd hit a baseball game solo? wow, I better learn to do things alone if I'm moving somewhere that I only kind of know abot 5 people in a 60 mile radius.

    lol no kidding, sounds like my two days are planned. I am confirming with the job that they are only popping for 1 day of expenses. I'm assuming the 2nd night hotel/car is already on me.... sooo, bleh. I plan to do a lot of driving around, prob sitting in coffee shops, etc. check out the areas, the people.
    Alone? I dun' think so. We're going riding. Every day. I need a ride partner! Oh, and I work in the Tech center, too...

    Have your people call my people. We'll do lunch.


    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  15. #15
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelangel View Post
    Why only one night? Is there a possibility of leaving the same day of the interview? Or arrive the day of the interview and leave next morning? If this is so then its understandable... if not, It sounds awfully stingy, I do not know what type of job you are applying for, what level or what industry... but if they are like this at the start when you are just getting to know each other... I cant imagine how it will be once you are in.... Is this your first interview? If its the last one...Will you move without getting to know a bit of the area you are moving to? I think this would be very inconsiderate from them.... It better pay well and be a hell of an opportunity... anyway... Best of luck!!! Get the job!!! then you'll have time to think about it...
    Actually, it might be feasible to fly in/out same day, but I wouldn't try that. The interview is 9AM friday-- booking today, but planning to get in early thurs, leave mid-day sat. I got the impression they don't fly people in often, so 1) i feel special. but 2) I also had a lot of unanswered questions when I sat down to make these arrangements.

    The industry is instructional web development, the job pays 1.5x my current salary (which I didn't think was too shabby to boot) and the benes are better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Ooooooooo good luck to you, Artifice!! We have quite a few Fooster out that way and maybe you will be able to meet with them. If you do, please tell us about it, okay? My fingers are crossed for you on this job interview!
    thanks siu! yeah its going to be a fast and crazy trip, so not sure there will be time for foo, but I'll try! hey, if I end up out that neighborhood I'll have to throw a cycling party or something

    Quote Originally Posted by ms.gio View Post
    Arti, I wish you the best of luck! I know you'll do an amazing job. You have a great head on your shoulders.
    thanks ms gio- oh and a big congrats to you on the new digs!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807 View Post
    Alone? I dun' think so. We're going riding. Every day. I need a ride partner! Oh, and I work in the Tech center, too...

    Have your people call my people. We'll do lunch.


    ha... the tech center, you say? yup, thats in the neighborhood.

  16. #16
    Safety Zealot wyeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    not sure I'd hit a baseball game solo? wow, I better learn to do things alone if I'm moving somewhere that I only kind of know abot 5 people in a 60 mile radius.
    Not sure you're gonna have to worry about doing stuff alone. More like learning to fend off the Foo-stalkers to leave you alone for a few minutes!

    Good luck at the interview!

    Oh, one tip. Alcohol hits harder at altitude. (yes, even for you low altitude freaks in Denver ) So take it easy w/ the drinking till you get your rhythm going.

  17. #17
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeast View Post
    Not sure you're gonna have to worry about doing stuff alone. More like learning to fend off the Foo-stalkers to leave you alone for a few minutes!

    Good luck at the interview!

    Oh, one tip. Alcohol hits harder at altitude. (yes, even for you low altitude freaks in Denver ) So take it easy w/ the drinking till you get your rhythm going.
    Oh man, you told her the secret. That was my best chance with her

  18. #18
    Safety Zealot wyeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    Oh man, you told her the secret.
    As if that was a secret.

    (edit: Oh, you mean the alcohol thing? Yeah, sorry. Better to not have her hurling over dinner )

  19. #19
    old and in the way grueling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Carbondale, CO
    My Bikes
    Alpe Duez Centaur, Custom CX DA
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with the interview. Spend the weekend, rent a car and drive up into the mountains. There is some snow up high and it is gorgeous in early fall. Skiing? Maybe some backcountry turns, but a lot of work for a short weekend trip.

    The Curtis Hotel downtown is a great place to spend the night and the Rocky Mountain Diner has good eats downtown.

    Foo Group ride?

  20. #20
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeast View Post
    Not sure you're gonna have to worry about doing stuff alone. More like learning to fend off the Foo-stalkers to leave you alone for a few minutes!

    Good luck at the interview!

    Oh, one tip. Alcohol hits harder at altitude. (yes, even for you low altitude freaks in Denver ) So take it easy w/ the drinking till you get your rhythm going.
    omg with all the other things I've had on my mind- that had not dawned on me. THANKS for the tip!


    OK, so recommendations I've received for neigborhoods to look at:
    • LoDo (looks to be about 15 miles from work. what is traffic like there going from DT to the south burbs? Would it take me 45 minutes to get to work?)- I've received this recommendation a few times.
    • Lowry -received this recommendation a few times
    • Wash Park - also received this recommendation a few times
    • Park Ave

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also look for places that are within bicycle commute of work.

    Good luck! Be yourself. Don't *try* to impress anyone. Have a great, positive attitude and everything will pan out.
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  22. #22
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    omg with all the other things I've had on my mind- that had not dawned on me. THANKS for the tip!


    OK, so recommendations I've received for neigborhoods to look at:
    • LoDo (looks to be about 15 miles from work. what is traffic like there going from DT to the south burbs? Would it take me 45 minutes to get to work?)- I've received this recommendation a few times.
    • Lowry -received this recommendation a few times
    • Wash Park - also received this recommendation a few times
    • Park Ave
    Depending on exactly where in the Tech center you're going, Light Rail is a VERY good alternative to driving... Runs from Downtown to DTC every 7-15 minutes (depending on day/time and which Line... E runs from Union Station near LoDo and F runs from more the other side of downtown.)

    I live in a pretty nice area of Aurora, near the 9 Mile light rail station... The line from 9 Mile to DTC runs every half hour during rush hour... Takes about 10 minutes. Other times of the day you have to take the H Line and then Transfer to the E or F... takes about 20-25 minutes. It takes me 35 minutes to bike from my house to work (Arapahoe light rail station).. about 25 minutes if I bike or take the bus to 9 Mile and then ride the G line from there... an extra 10-15 if I have to take the H and transfer.

    Traffic on I-25 can be horrible during rush hour... but if there's a route that avoids the highway you're usually pretty good.

    Wash Park and LoDo areas are pretty nice... Lots of stuff to do nearby. The Baker neighborhood is a pretty neat area, too... Lots of stuff in close, near the light rail, very bikeable and/or walkable.
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  23. #23
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet. I've always been a mover, sorta got that from my whole family (have to go back 3 gens to get to people who grew up where their parents did). Now I'm working for a group that is very stationary, and so is my wife (and her famly), although her center-of-stationariness is pretty far from here.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go go ski bunny!

  25. #25
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •