Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    BSed your way out of it?

    Post about a time you utilized your skills of persuasion, a Jedi mind trick, or skullduggery to get out of some situation.

    Here's mine. During my undergrad, I had the brilliant idea to take Latin for my language requirement. At level 4, it was clear that I was likely going to fail out and screw myself royally in regards to grad credits required to get out on time (i.e. 4 years). I went and talked to my advisor who told me I'd have to talk to some bigwigs about getting out of the language requirement, my argument of the day being I was already bilingual, so why couldn't I use the creds somewhere else. I lucked out, got a guy who happened to be an ex-Peace Corps volunteer RPCV-Philippines, and the extent of the conversation was me talking to him about his service and near the end, him saying, what's the word for "cat" again...that was a long 5 seconds where my BSing mind had to go through ibon, no, aso, no...oh yeah, on the hotseat now, pusa. If I had only done it prior to taking four quarters of Latin...so whatcha got?

  2. #2
    Kicked out of the Webelos bluebottle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is every day for me.
    ______________________________________________

    Kicked out of the Webelos.

  3. #3
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senior year in high school. I was taking night classes to make up for failed classes in previous years when I was a bad little boy and skipping all the time.

    I was taking accounting, but the teacher was forced to teach accounting, business computers and typing all simultaneously. Typing students need their hands held, so the few people in there trying to take business computer and accounting were basically given the book and told to read chapters and do questions at end. You'd be lucky if you could get teacher for 5 minutes of the 3 hour class twice a week.

    Needless to say, I was not too far along in the book and really didn't deserve to pass; however, I explained how it was mostly due to the fact that I had no guidance. I told her that I knew it wasn't her fault though...they shouldn't give her all the classes at once.

    Also, she was being moved to another room across the campus and I spent many hours (after school, during night class time, etc...) to help her move her class equipment to the other room.

    When it was all said and done, she took my argument and my helpful spirit into account and gave the D so I could pass by the skin of my teeth.

    I literally went to the cafeteria after the graduation ceremony to pick up the diploma not yet knowing if I really had one waiting or would have to do summer school.

    Thanks Ms. Davis!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lamplight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,721
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost my entire senior year English class was thoroughly BSed. I would write three page essays on books I'd never read and get As and Bs (somehow). Now, I find myself going back and reading those books that I should have read then. Just proves how dumb I am/was.

  5. #5
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lamplight's story reminds me of another one.

    My first semester in college I was in a Sociology class. On a test there was an essay question about the something-something experiment. God I hated that class....both class and material were sooo boring, I could barely pay attention.

    I had no idea what this experiment was even about, but I wrote 4 PAGES of fluff. I never once even said what the experiment was about, but kept saying things like it was "groundbreaking" and "revealed new answers", etc.....

    I ended up getting bonus points on that essay question because of the length of my answer though I never "said" a damn thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  6. #6
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
    Almost my entire senior year English class was thoroughly BSed. I would write three page essays on books I'd never read and get As and Bs (somehow). Now, I find myself going back and reading those books that I should have read then. Just proves how dumb I am/was.
    I only did that w/ one book senior year, Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. Thanks, bumblebee! Real d-bag thing for me to do...senior slide is a b*tch.

  7. #7
    Barbieri Telefonico huhenio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    3,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka_Jun View Post
    Post about a time you utilized your skills of persuasion, a Jedi mind trick, or skullduggery to get out of some situation.

    Here's mine. During my undergrad, I had the brilliant idea to take Latin for my language requirement. At level 4, it was clear that I was likely going to fail out and screw myself royally in regards to grad credits required to get out on time (i.e. 4 years). I went and talked to my advisor who told me I'd have to talk to some bigwigs about getting out of the language requirement, my argument of the day being I was already bilingual, so why couldn't I use the creds somewhere else. I lucked out, got a guy who happened to be an ex-Peace Corps volunteer RPCV-Philippines, and the extent of the conversation was me talking to him about his service and near the end, him saying, what's the word for "cat" again...that was a long 5 seconds where my BSing mind had to go through ibon, no, aso, no...oh yeah, on the hotseat now, pusa. If I had only done it prior to taking four quarters of Latin...so whatcha got?

    Mmm ... being bilingual, I tested out spanish for 12 credits.

    4 hour test ... computarized.

    I scored 100%!!
    Giving Haircuts Over The Phone

  8. #8
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Thank God they didn't have a computerized test for Tagalog...whew...dodged that bullet.

  9. #9
    Crushing souls Hickeydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only thing I got away with BS wise was the friggin service papers we had to write in high school. I would sit down and write 5 full pages of complete BS and get a 100 on it. The only thing that the service requirement taught me was how to put black onto white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post

    What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.

  10. #10
    Genius FlatMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    My Bikes
    Specilized Sirrus
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are everyone's storries about school and papers? Maby that's the only time in life when you actually can BS you way through a situation.
    Ride or Die

  11. #11
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <cough>

    BS'd my way out of the Human Resources dept of a Temp Agency who were withholding my last check (well - they didn't know I wasn't coming back) until I produced a copy of the death certificate of the certain person I said passed away and that's why I didn't show up or call for 3 days.

    Gave long winded terrible story of who and why and how and ... Got the check.

    never used that one again ...

  12. #12
    later free_pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got caught pissing in the alley outside the pub by a bike cop... i was good and tanked, but started talking about bikes, meanwhile my friend was still pissing.... talked to him for a good 5 or 10 minutes about cycling, and he sent me on my way....

  13. #13
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by free_pizza View Post
    got caught pissing in the alley outside the pub by a bike cop... i was good and tanked, but started talking about bikes, meanwhile my friend was still pissing.... talked to him for a good 5 or 10 minutes about cycling, and he sent me on my way....
    Dude...you talked shop w/ the bike cop to get out of the ticket? hahahaha...what was he riding, btw?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to save a dead bee on my dashboard. Got pulled over for speeding once and did the arms flailing out of the window bit. When the cop came up and asked my if I knew why I was pulled over, I said no and added that I was busy trying to deal with a bee that flew in the window. Showed him the dead bee and he let me off. I was 25 over in a 35 too.
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  15. #15
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some dude wanted to kill me cause he was drunk and I walked into the bathroom when someone (a girl? his girl?) was in there (long story: no visible line, I was working, really had to go, door wasn't closed, light in bathroom wasn't working, etc etc...I had no clue anyone was in there).

    I surprised him (and myself) by just giving him a big smile and a friendly sort of half-hug...it worked.

    Funny, cause I am the biggest wuss on earth...but at that moment i remember being as calm as all get out...it must have calmed him too...very odd and I can't explain it. But glad I still have all my teeth!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not good at lying my way to success. At times, my honesty has cost me jobs and good grades.
    Bring back the Sig Test!


    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  17. #17
    later free_pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka_Jun View Post
    Dude...you talked shop w/ the bike cop to get out of the ticket? hahahaha...what was he riding, btw?
    Yuppp!!! I think at the time the city cops were riding Kona Calderas... I believe they now ride Rocky Mountain something or others...

  18. #18
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a really bad habit of skipping classes in high school and going to the park. I skipped typing class every day for a month, which brought me to the attention of the high school principal. I also had a bad habit of taking massive amounts of LSD in school as well. These two chinks in my armor converged one fine day.

    I got to my English class and had forgotten my copy of Hamlet, so I was sent to my locker to get it, but I think it took me like 30 minutes because i kept getting into adventures, like finding a ballon in the hall and seeing a mock court trial being enacted by the honor student kids. I finally found my way back and realized I had forgotten to get my book, anyway. The teacher was mad, and had some student aid doosh waiting to escort me to the office.

    So I was led up to the principal's office, not really liking where the day was taking me but willing to follow my bliss. I got into his office and had a very hard time extricating myself from my backpack. By the time the backpack finally fell to the floor with an echoey thud I looked up and realized the principal wasn't even at the desk I hadn't looked at yet. I thought perhaps this was my chance! I immediately rushed out the door, with a choice between going right or left.

    Well, unfortunately I chose left and ran right into Mr. Holmes trying to grab the balloon I had been laughing with earlier. I went back into his office and sat down. At this point, I was having trouble with depth perception. Holmes seemed like the only constant in a rapidly changing, very colorful universe. I remember saying "yes sir" a lot and not much else. I guess it worked because next thing you know i was in the hall with my friend the balloon and the bell was ringing and people were pouring out of class and I was laughing about how floaty the balloon was and trying to explain the floatiness to a Bolshevik.

    Then I went home and a Blue Jay decided to fly in my house and I was trying to flush him out with a loaf of bread and a towel.

  19. #19
    Rawwrrrrrrrrr! wolfpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)
    Posts
    2,732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    senior yr, last semester of college way back in 1987...computer science major and i freakin' hated programming. had to take this programming class, can't even remember the language now, and i was just struggling in it because the prof was hungarian and wasn't great with the english language...end of semester...i was pretty much getting a D in the class at that point....a D meant that i was not going to graduate!!!!

    my family had plans to be there to watch me graduate, people coming several hours away and my dad thought i was doing great in school! i went to the prof and told him that everyone was coming to see me graduate, that i couldn't get a D, would he purty please give me a C so i could graduate??? purty please w/cherry on top??? i just smiled and batted my eyes, smiled more and he said, well, i suppose i can make this exception. woooooo-hoooooo!!! i left his office just skipping and jumping down the hall!!!

    i did graduate.
    wolfpackcycles
    skiffrun: Enjoy the ride. Ride for the enjoyment.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Lamplight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,721
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    ...but I think it took me like 30 minutes because i kept getting into adventures...

  21. #21
    T-Shirt Guy ehidle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tested out of English Comp using my Senior Thesis.
    Yellow + Blue Jerseys!

    Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
    Men's
    and Women's designs available

  22. #22
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    I had a really bad habit of skipping classes in high school and going to the park. I skipped typing class every day for a month, which brought me to the attention of the high school principal. I also had a bad habit of taking massive amounts of LSD in school as well. These two chinks in my armor converged one fine day.

    I got to my English class and had forgotten my copy of Hamlet, so I was sent to my locker to get it, but I think it took me like 30 minutes because i kept getting into adventures, like finding a ballon in the hall and seeing a mock court trial being enacted by the honor student kids. I finally found my way back and realized I had forgotten to get my book, anyway. The teacher was mad, and had some student aid doosh waiting to escort me to the office.

    So I was led up to the principal's office, not really liking where the day was taking me but willing to follow my bliss. I got into his office and had a very hard time extricating myself from my backpack. By the time the backpack finally fell to the floor with an echoey thud I looked up and realized the principal wasn't even at the desk I hadn't looked at yet. I thought perhaps this was my chance! I immediately rushed out the door, with a choice between going right or left.

    Well, unfortunately I chose left and ran right into Mr. Holmes trying to grab the balloon I had been laughing with earlier. I went back into his office and sat down. At this point, I was having trouble with depth perception. Holmes seemed like the only constant in a rapidly changing, very colorful universe. I remember saying "yes sir" a lot and not much else. I guess it worked because next thing you know i was in the hall with my friend the balloon and the bell was ringing and people were pouring out of class and I was laughing about how floaty the balloon was and trying to explain the floatiness to a Bolshevik.

    Then I went home and a Blue Jay decided to fly in my house and I was trying to flush him out with a loaf of bread and a towel.
    Did you sell your story to Hollywood? Sounds like a Harold & Kumar sequel.

  23. #23
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was pretty entertaining!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  24. #24
    K2ProFlex baby! ilikebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
    My Bikes
    to many to list
    Posts
    6,100
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never had to BS my way out of any situation. Ive been seeing a psychiatrist (Dr. Rebeur) since I was like 6, she taught me certain "skills" that keep me from getting into situations that require ones ability to BS. Matter of fact Ive got to go to my appointment with her right now! (you've just been BS'ed! )
    You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •