Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    iTunes/iPod woes - help?

    Are there any iTune/iPod Shuffle experts on here? I'm banging my head against the wall over mine and could use a bit of help.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Your imaginary friend. fuzzbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wandering aimlessly.
    My Bikes
    A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
    Posts
    2,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How may I assist?

    Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

  3. #3
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me guess -- your Shuffle doesn't play podcasts?

    It will, but it can't be in shuffle mode -- podcasts are automatically tagged to be skipped while shuffling. You could also select the podcast tracks (even multiple tracks), choose File -> Get Info, click the Options tab, then set the "Skip when shuffling" to No and check the box.

    Unless you're having another problem..

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ted Danson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    K-town Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Jamis Full Suspension, Some 10 year old roadie that I made beautiful :)
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the hells a podcast.
    Merton Enthusiast

  5. #5
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Danson View Post
    What the hells a podcast.
    What the f is the internet..

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2LpJAD5AqQ


  6. #6
    Senior Member Ted Danson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    K-town Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Jamis Full Suspension, Some 10 year old roadie that I made beautiful :)
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe that movie was great. I've heard about podcasts for the past 5 years but never really cared about them or cared about learning what they are. Maybe only old people listen to them.

    I hope you listen to them..
    Right?
    Merton Enthusiast

  7. #7
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it's the only way I can reliably get my NPR fix -- I'm not always awake or have a radio turned on during Saturday mornings.

    NASA has a video podcast that's pretty cool, but sometimes I feel like they're talking to me like I'm in grade school -- which I'm sure is their target audience anyway. And, yup, Kevin Smith published one during the filming of Clerks 2..

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbox View Post
    How may I assist?
    Here's the deal: I have (2) 2nd gen shuffles and iTunes 8. I create a playlist with songs in a certain order. However, when I copy the playlist to the iPods iTunes loads the songs in a different order. It loads them based on Artist name. Yes, I'm sure I'm looking at the correct order in the playlist (clicking on the number icon) and I'm sure the "Fill Randomly" option is unchecked. I've tried manually copying the playlist and autofill. I've even reformatted the iPods. The only thing that works is to rename the artists ("A B C D") in the order I want the songs to load/play; that, of course, is not ideal.

    It appears iTunes wants to do its own thing.

    ?

  9. #9
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this --

    After arranging the songs as you want, control-click/right-click/two-finger-click (whichever works for you ) on the playlist name and choose Copy To Play Order in the contextual menu.

    As soon as I find mine, I'll try to see if I can replicate what you're getting.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Try this --

    After arranging the songs as you want, control-click/right-click/two-finger-click (whichever works for you ) on the playlist name and choose Copy To Play Order in the contextual menu.

    As soon as I find mine, I'll try to see if I can replicate what you're getting.
    Tried that but the problem remains. The songs on the iPod are in sequence based on the artist name.

    What gets me is I know at one point it worked. It CAN'T be this hard...

  11. #11
    Your imaginary friend. fuzzbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wandering aimlessly.
    My Bikes
    A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
    Posts
    2,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried clicking the up down arrow to the left of the song name? I haven't installed version 8 yet...

    Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbox View Post
    Have you tried clicking the up down arrow to the left of the song name? I haven't installed version 8 yet...
    Yes. That will reorder the display of songs on the iPod, but does not affect the order in which the songs are actually stored on the iPod.

    I also tried restoring the iPod factory settings and even uninstalling them via the Control Panel H/W Manager.


    This is maddening!

  13. #13
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found my Shuffle... AND its charging cable!

    Give me a few minutes...

  14. #14
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you set playlists on the Shuffle? I know it lacks a screen, so that may not be a possibility, though that would be the easiest way to do such a thing, short of setting all of the songs you want to be a compilation and manually setting the song number for each one.

  15. #15
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    Can you set playlists on the Shuffle?
    Nope -- anything that gets put on a Shuffle comes up as one big list. There's no way to choose between playlists anyway.

    Okay, here's what I've found so far --

    All podcasts = sorts itself according to album during playback. Doesn't matter if I do the bit with the "skip while shuffling" option I talked about earlier.

    Some podcasts plus some music = sorts itself according to album again. Hmm..

    All music = stays in the order I tell it to use.

    Changing the genre to something besides "podcast" doesn't help. I haven't tried changing ID3 tags yet since they still mostly confuse me.

    *edit* It re-sorts by album, not by artist.
    Last edited by BarracksSi; 10-19-08 at 08:16 PM.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Nope -- anything that gets put on a Shuffle comes up as one big list. There's no way to choose between playlists anyway.

    Okay, here's what I've found so far --

    All podcasts = sorts itself according to album during playback. Doesn't matter if I do the bit with the "skip while shuffling" option I talked about earlier.

    Some podcasts plus some music = sorts itself according to album again. Hmm..

    All music = stays in the order I tell it to use.

    Changing the genre to something besides "podcast" doesn't help. I haven't tried changing ID3 tags yet since they still mostly confuse me.

    *edit* It re-sorts by album, not by artist.
    Hmmm, I don't think I have anything in the album fields, so maybe it looks at artist next?

    But if yours is all music it stays in the order you copy to the iPod?

  17. #17
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardPull4Jesus View Post
    Hmmm, I don't think I have anything in the album fields, so maybe it looks at artist next?
    Might just be coincidence in your case. :dunno: (other forums have a "dunno?" smiley, why not BF? heh..)

    But if yours is all music it stays in the order you copy to the iPod?
    Yup. It even automatically syncs the new order as soon as I move a track up or down the list.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Might just be coincidence in your case. :dunno: (other forums have a "dunno?" smiley, why not BF? heh..)



    Yup. It even automatically syncs the new order as soon as I move a track up or down the list.

    Try this: Erase everything on the iPod, thne change the playlist and copy it to the iPod. THEN you'll have the problem.

    I grabbed my sister's shuffle. Never been attached to this PC before. The first time I attached it the playlist went over in the correct order and all was fine. Then I deleted the songs from the iPod and copied a different playlist. BAM! The songs on the iPod the second time around (and thereafter) are ordered by Artist (NOT album).

    This is NUTS!

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found an answer...

    http://matthom.com/archive/2004/12/2...s-out-of-order

    I tried it and it works. Be sure to bookmark this for when the problem pops up.

    Thanks much for your time and effort.

  20. #20
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardPull4Jesus View Post
    Try this: Erase everything on the iPod, thne change the playlist and copy it to the iPod. THEN you'll have the problem.
    In the process of trying things out a couple posts back, I erased the contents several times, but never did a Restore.

    Just now Restored and did a test with an all-music playlist. No problems this time, either.

    Putting a podcast in the list, however, meant that the podcast reset itself at the top of the order. The songs, however, retained the order that I specified even when I changed it (which also happened before; I just didn't test it out specifically). So, no matter how I move things around, it's always podcasts first, then music tracks next. Multiple podcasts still reorder themselves according to album and float to the top of the list, but the music keeps the order I specify.

    This is after I autofilled from a music-only playlist and manually added some podcast tracks via drag-and-drop.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    In the process of trying things out a couple posts back, I erased the contents several times, but never did a Restore.

    Just now Restored and did a test with an all-music playlist. No problems this time, either.

    Putting a podcast in the list, however, meant that the podcast reset itself at the top of the order. The songs, however, retained the order that I specified even when I changed it (which also happened before; I just didn't test it out specifically). So, no matter how I move things around, it's always podcasts first, then music tracks next. Multiple podcasts still reorder themselves according to album and float to the top of the list, but the music keeps the order I specify.

    This is after I autofilled from a music-only playlist and manually added some podcast tracks via drag-and-drop.
    Did you check to see if the disk info was set on your songs (per the article)? If so, that would explain everything.

  22. #22
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean setting "Disc 1 of 1", even for the podcasts? Nope, haven't bothered to try that. I'll give it a shot -- just a minute..

  23. #23
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, didn't change it -- the podcasts still stay at the top of the order. But, again, the music tracks stay in the order I give them, even if they get pushed down by podcasts. Say that I made it music2-podcast1-music5-podcast2-rest of the music; it switches to podcast1-podcast2-music2-music5-etc.

    The more I think about it, the more I'd rather have it this way, because the podcasts -- long, spoken word tracks -- are separated from the music. And, I guess that the lack of shuffling among podcasts shouldn't bother me either, because I'm rarely out long enough to listen to all of the ones I haven't heard yet -- the short ones that are just audio are the now-discontinued NPR Movies podcast, which are about half an hour each.

    If I want to just shuffle among music, it'll stay among music and not interrupt a groove with fifty minutes of Car Talk ; if I want to just listen to podcasts, I can switch to Continuous mode and reach them like I was changing channels on the TV (although skipping past a hundred music tracks would take a while).
    Last edited by BarracksSi; 10-20-08 at 11:33 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •