Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-08, 12:38 AM   #1
Cdy291
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Bikes:
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Psychologist

Would you say that thinking for a bit about blowing your head off is a good reason to find a Psychologist?
Cdy291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 12:56 AM   #2
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss
 
celticfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: TTing on the MUP
Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly
Posts: 3,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdy291 View Post
Would you say that thinking for a bit about blowing your head off is a good reason to find a Psychologist?
Sounds like a better reason to find a psychiatrist.
__________________
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
celticfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 01:28 AM   #3
red house
Banned.
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a definite reason to get off the internets and go to a hospital. right now.
red house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 01:33 AM   #4
solveg
Squirrel
 
solveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winfield, KS
Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,
Posts: 4,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In fact, here are some numbers that can help you, tonight even...

http://suicidehotlines.com/georgia.html
__________________
solveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 06:37 AM   #5
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, we all have self destructive impulses at one point or another. That is pretty common. If you feel you're having a problem, then yes, I'd encourage you to reach out to someone, a Psychologist is one option, or your pastor, or a good friend. I see solveg already posted some hotlines in your area as well.

My PM box is open as well.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 06:40 AM   #6
redirekib
I ain't no newbie
 
redirekib's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Goddard Institute - Area 51-Skunk Works Division - Space Age Materials Lab
Bikes:
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
People that blow their heads off don't talk about it. Usually their Father finds them the next day...sad
redirekib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 09:58 AM   #7
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Depression is nothing to toy with.

It may be something you will just get past, or it could end tragically.

My advice is that you find a professional to talk to as soon as possible.

The difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist seems to be that the psychiatrist prescribes drugs, where the psychologist actually listens to you and helps you deal with your issues on an interpersonal level.

In my case I go to a psychologist who referred me to a psychiatrist for medication.

If you go to one psychologist and it doesn't help, don't assume that it is the wrong path, seek out the right psychologist. A psychologist is definitely a person you need to be able to connect with on a personal level.
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:11 AM   #8
jgedwa
surly old man
 
jgedwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Carlisle, PA
Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.
Posts: 3,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Never hurts anyone to seek help. So, if you are thinking about it, it might be worth the time to try it out. Anyone would be benefitted by examining their life, and involving a dispassionate and unbiased voice in that process can be of immense help.

So, I vote for talking to someone.

jim
__________________
Cross Check Nexus7, IRO Mark V, Trek 620 Nexus7, Karate Monkey half fat, IRO Model 19 fixed, Amp Research B3, Surly 1x1 half fat fixed, and more...
--------------------------
SB forever
jgedwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:24 AM   #9
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Also, in case I didn't make it clear.

My referral to the psychiatrist was only part of what the psychologist did... she just sent me to get some medication that she couldn't prescribe, we still continued regular sessions as well.
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:27 AM   #10
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
Posts: 10,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdy291 View Post
Would you say that thinking for a bit about blowing your head off is a good reason to find a Psychologist?
Yes... yes it is. Don't macho your way through any form of depression, it doesn't end well.
TRaffic Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:34 AM   #11
ms.gio
Chief Slacking Officer
 
ms.gio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The City by the Lake
Bikes: Fuji Track SE, Cannondale R300
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Well, we all have self destructive impulses at one point or another. That is pretty common. If you feel you're having a problem, then yes, I'd encourage you to reach out to someone, a Psychologist is one option, or your pastor, or a good friend. I see solveg already posted some hotlines in your area as well.

My PM box is open as well.
I'm with Tom on this one. I would recommend to not bottle this idea and think that it would go away (if you are seriously thinking about it). Also, please talk to someone about this.

If you need to talk to someone my PM box is open too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Giolander: There can be only one.
Giodome: Several impostors enter, only the real one leaves?
ms.gio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 12:30 PM   #12
scrapmetal
Senior Member
 
scrapmetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Quartered safe out here
Bikes: 197x?? Raleigh rescued from scrap metal; Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redirekib View Post
People that blow their heads off don't talk about it. Usually their Father finds them the next day...sad
Does it mean when I say it, I am safe? I know that statement too, and I think there were people who were telling and asking for help as much as they could and nobody listened.
scrapmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 02:30 PM   #13
trsidn 
parched member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfrost View Post
sounds like a better reason to find a psychiatrist.
+1
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 02:36 PM   #14
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)
Posts: 3,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdy291 View Post
Would you say that thinking for a bit about blowing your head off is a good reason to find a Psychologist?
What's a bit? Like a few seconds every once in a blue moon, inquiring about how it feels and what happens afterward? Or a bit as in every day, each day getting closer to planning it out...

If it's the latter, talk. Pscyhiatrist, good friend, whomever...just talk about it. Take a break from here (and the Web) and sort things out, but with someone that cares.

If it's the former, I asked my psychologist (when I saw one) about that and he said that it was normal behavior. I would agree that it's pretty normal to wonder about death sometimes, since it's so enigmatic.

Disclaimer: I was sort of at that point when I was younger. Haven't been like that since, though I feel into something of a mild depression earlier this year. Talking helped a lot.
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces

Last edited by MrCrassic; 10-23-08 at 02:40 PM.
MrCrassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 03:13 PM   #15
Hickeydog
Crushing souls
 
Hickeydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
Bikes: Trek 1500
Posts: 1,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go to a shrink (I can't spell spyshciatrist). RIGHT NOW!! No. Stop reading this. Get you car keys, GO NOW!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.
Hickeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 PM.