Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-08, 07:29 PM   #1
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
How the heck was your day ?

Mine started off as usual as I awoke to the chirping of the Crackberry... the crew starts at 8 while I don't have to be in until 1030 but the morning chatter lets me know what's going on.

I decided to take my Trek 7500 today as the winds we have been having had made me start referring to Edmonton as Chicago north and with wind gusts reaching 50 plus kmh having a full set of gears was a nice thing.

That and I wanted to see how many km I logged as a now professional courier and after a slow day my odometer was reading 40 km on the nose... I expect that on a normal day I ride at least 60 km which is pretty much all short sprints.

For the first time ever my venerable Trek crapped out on me when it tried to pull the derailer in to and around my spokes but since this happened at a walking pace I avoided causing any serious damage... when I got home I found that I had cracked the lower jockey wheel and since I had been meaning to replace that Shimano XT I swapped in a vintage (and much better) Suntour Cyclone GT.

It goes with the Suntour bar cons, shifts 10 times better, and isn't twitchy.

Now it's just me and the dogs here chillaxin and I figure I may have to get back on the bike and get some groceries as the cupboards are looking somewhat bare.

It will give time the opportunity to make sure the bike is dialled in for tomorrow too.



So... how about you ?
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 07:36 PM   #2
Alfster 
long time visiter
 
Alfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the Northern Tundra
Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Had to do some employee performance reviews. Sucked! Struggling to keep up with my work load, but falling further behind daily - stressful. Had to deal with a pissed off customer ... basically had to bend over and take it. So all in all, not too bad of a day ... compared to tomorrows workload
Alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 07:37 PM   #3
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Alf - Did you tell them that bribes were more than welcome ?
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 07:41 PM   #4
Alfster 
long time visiter
 
Alfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the Northern Tundra
Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Had one guy bring me a coffee But he forgot the milk and sugar Needless to say, his evaluation didn't go so well
Alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 08:07 PM   #5
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)
Posts: 3,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I had to bring my work laptop with me tonight...and I'm not working from home tomorrow. That can only mean one thing...

LATE NIGHT WORK!

At least I got a few hours of riding in, all of which were uncomfortable and really windy.
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 08:09 PM   #6
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Mine started off as usual as I awoke to the chirping of the Crackberry... the crew starts at 8 while I don't have to be in until 1030 but the morning chatter lets me know what's going on.

I decided to take my Trek 7500 today as the winds we have been having had made me start referring to Edmonton as Chicago north and with wind gusts reaching 50 plus kmh having a full set of gears was a nice thing.

That and I wanted to see how many km I logged as a now professional courier and after a slow day my odometer was reading 40 km on the nose... I expect that on a normal day I ride at least 60 km which is pretty much all short sprints.

For the first time ever my venerable Trek crapped out on me when it tried to pull the derailer in to and around my spokes but since this happened at a walking pace I avoided causing any serious damage... when I got home I found that I had cracked the lower jockey wheel and since I had been meaning to replace that Shimano XT I swapped in a vintage (and much better) Suntour Cyclone GT.

It goes with the Suntour bar cons, shifts 10 times better, and isn't twitchy.

Now it's just me and the dogs here chillaxin and I figure I may have to get back on the bike and get some groceries as the cupboards are looking somewhat bare.

It will give time the opportunity to make sure the bike is dialled in for tomorrow too.



So... how about you ?
You have yours set to "Annoy"?
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 08:29 PM   #7
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It has to be left on 24/7 for the job... it is set up to be as least annoying as possible.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 08:42 PM   #8
artifice
superArti
 
artifice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnersoter
Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
moving crew took all my earthly possessions.
I'm now unemployed, living in my mom's basement.
on the plus side, I washed/waxed/vacuumed/detailed AND oil changed my car. we're ready for this adventure!
__________________
i woke up one morning and i stepped out of bed | had to get a bike, had to paint it red
Of all the treasures I have, its the memories that are the most precious.
artifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 08:50 PM   #9
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,962
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
moving crew took all my earthly possessions.
I'm now unemployed, living in my mom's basement.
on the plus side, I washed/waxed/vacuumed/detailed AND oil changed my car. we're ready for this adventure!
You sound strangely like some of the young males on Foo ...

My day wasn't too bad. I'm planning the Halloween party for the engineering department. I can't decide on what costume to wear.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 09:02 PM   #10
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not so great for awhile, over-inflated my tube last night (130+?) and it bubbled up halfway through my commute, pushing the sidewall off the rim of my bike. Had to ride on about 20 psi of air for a few miles through the ghetto to a bike shop.
peabodypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 09:13 PM   #11
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meh.

Seventeenth day of meh, actually. More to go. I'm bored.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 09:24 PM   #12
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?
 
skinnyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Guess
Bikes: Not enough
Posts: 2,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a decent day. Gotta wake early tomorrow though like 7AM which is la la land for the skinnyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
I'm now unemployed, living in my mom's basement.

from 1:95 to the end
skinnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 09:32 PM   #13
pgoat
Batw Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
gotta wake up at 5 tomorrow...but went to a nice party tonight with great view of skylines. Almost won a bike in a raffle (missed by one number).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 09:44 PM   #14
Minesbroken
It is what it is...
 
Minesbroken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island NY
Bikes: Trek 6500 w/ stuff
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pretty sweet...got sick took dayquil...went to work...cold drafty shop...feel more sick...do it again tomorrow.
__________________
sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

myspace
myplace
my bike
Minesbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 09:57 PM   #15
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,962
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyone View Post
I had a decent day. Gotta wake early tomorrow though like 7AM which is la la land for the skinnyone
7 am? That's sleeping in 2 hours for me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:02 PM   #16
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?
 
skinnyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Guess
Bikes: Not enough
Posts: 2,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
7 am? That's sleeping in 2 hours for me.
<---- Morning person.. NOT!
skinnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:03 PM   #17
Minesbroken
It is what it is...
 
Minesbroken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island NY
Bikes: Trek 6500 w/ stuff
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
7 am? That's sleeping in 2 hours for me.
If I woke up at 5 AM I dont think I could find my way to anything but the floor...
__________________
sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

myspace
myplace
my bike
Minesbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:06 PM   #18
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,962
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minesbroken View Post
If I woke up at 5 AM I dont think I could find my way to anything but the floor...
I naturally wake up at 4:45. I go to 5:30 spin class in fall/winter, or leave at 5:30 to ride to work in spring/summer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:14 PM   #19
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Normal nine to five here, then dinner with the family, some play time watching the boys ride their bikes and then got them off to bed. Then I tore down a chrome BMX rig and began polishing a frame. Cleaning up pretty good. Going to finish the tear down tomorrow and start cleaning up the rims.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:14 PM   #20
Minesbroken
It is what it is...
 
Minesbroken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island NY
Bikes: Trek 6500 w/ stuff
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
I naturally wake up at 4:45. I go to 5:30 spin class in fall/winter, or leave at 5:30 to ride to work in spring/summer.

you are the goddess of morning... At 4:30 I am incoherent...you could push me out of bed onto the floor and I wouldnt wake up till 8
__________________
sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

myspace
myplace
my bike
Minesbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:17 PM   #21
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If I wake at a 5am, I pee and go back to sleep. Most times I even get out of bed to do this.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:19 PM   #22
Minesbroken
It is what it is...
 
Minesbroken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island NY
Bikes: Trek 6500 w/ stuff
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
If I wake at a 5am, I pee and go back to sleep. Most times I even get out of bed to do this.

I'm on autopilot till about 10:30 when I usually wake up and I'm putting a radio in or something...
__________________
sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

myspace
myplace
my bike
Minesbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 11:46 PM   #23
gnome 
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Bikes: I've lost count.
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Wasn't too bad.

I didn't get as much done at work as I hoped. Had a client ring up with a problem with their GST return due on Tuesday. Spent an hour on the phone with them and a further hour fixing their cashbook for them. Still I almost got the jobs finished that I was originally planning to and it's now Friday evening at the start of a long weekend. Whoot.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 11:49 PM   #24
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am still looking at Friday from where I sit and am thinking that I will only be the answer to everything for a few more hours...
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 12:44 AM   #25
gnome 
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Bikes: I've lost count.
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
I am still looking at Friday from where I sit and am thinking that I will only be the answer to everything for a few more hours...
I guess that I should start baking a cake for you then. Oh, I didn't think that you were that old.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 AM.