Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member FlyingAnchor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County Ca
    My Bikes
    All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need help with this guitar....

    I picked up this really nice guitar that the owner said was a "Southern". The headstock says BSC in some old english script, same thing on the label inside.

    Anybody heard of this brand? Thanks.
    And I did google it and came up empty.

    Steven
    Dragging Anchor

  2. #2
    Senior Member eric von zipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    @ the beach, NC
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check, Thorn Sherpa
    Posts
    609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acoustic or electric? Woody Guthrie played a Gibson Southern guitar and they have reissued those. If it is one of those, it's a nice piece of work. Not sure about the headstock. Got a picture?
    Surly Cross Check, Thorn Sherpa

  3. #3
    Senior Member FlyingAnchor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County Ca
    My Bikes
    All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duh,,,, Acoustic and I don't have a photo, I still get lost trying to post photos here.

    It is a really nice guitar, has the tree of life up the neck along with abolone inlay around the hole, not that that makes it sound good. I'll try to post a picture if only to show it off.

    I put new strings on the guitar and it sustained better than any guitar I have owned and the sound was nice and bright with the Phospher Bronze strings. next step is to get some brass endpins and improve the sustain and drive up some more clarity.

    Steven
    Dragging Anchor

  4. #4
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, pics can't hurt. Never heard of it - was this an expensive guitar?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  5. #5
    WTF is that smell? crackerjab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingAnchor View Post
    Duh,,,, Acoustic and I don't have a photo, I still get lost trying to post photos here.

    It is a really nice guitar, has the tree of life up the neck along with abolone inlay around the hole, not that that makes it sound good. I'll try to post a picture if only to show it off.

    I put new strings on the guitar and it sustained better than any guitar I have owned and the sound was nice and bright with the Phospher Bronze strings. next step is to get some brass endpins and improve the sustain and drive up some more clarity.

    Steven
    Those are my favorite strings hands down. Never heard of the guitar though.

  6. #6
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking if it was a major purchase and has solid tonewoods it might be a custom or small builder?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member FlyingAnchor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County Ca
    My Bikes
    All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to take last night off of foo.

    I got together with the man that owned it last night and he corrected me as to the make, it is a Southern Guitar Co. guitar with SGC inlayed into the headstock. I got the guitar for $140.00 and was told it was a $350.00 guitar. Not expensive but solid wood with great sound. I still haven't found it online anywhere. I have a problem posting photos, I have "out in the woods, old lines dial up" . I've tried sending photos before and I usually have to go to the library and that is just a pain.

    I'm thinking of getting a professional setup done on the action, I'd like it a bit lower so it can have that "smooth as butter" action.

    Steven
    Dragging Anchor

  8. #8
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might not be solid woods at that price (or maybe it is, but probably not prime tone woods like spruce - there are lots of good alternatives today, and need to be, with spruce and other woods in short supply and super expensive as a result).

    Anyway, bottom line is, if you are happy with the sound, that's all that matters.

    With an acoustic I'd ask around and use the best luthier you can afford to do the work. You don't want someone hacking up the bridge and nut or doing a poor neck adjustment. You can also try lighter strings if the action feels too stiff. Or keep the heavy strings, but tune down a half step.

    The low action will facilitate fast playing but you'll lose some tone and sustain.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Point Lookout, NY
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Santa Cruz Guitar company.. If it is one, they make some of the best acoustics in the world.. here is my Tony Rice..


  10. #10
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just gonna add - MiI is prolly the guy to ask about acoustics on BF.

    Is there a sticker visible inside the soundhole? Maybe that'd give more info on the Southern gtr. (date, materials, country of origin, etc.)

    MiI - He said SGC not SCG - I always wanted either a Santa Cruz, a Gallagher or a Mossman, but I just cannot play a Dreadnaught...the body just feels too huge and bulky to me. If I ever bought an acoustic I'd go with a Martin OM. Unfortunately I suck without an amp, so it's just as well I can't afford one
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Point Lookout, NY
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Point Lookout, NY
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to stop smoking so much weed... My bad. Now go out and buy a Santa Cruz. lol

  13. #13
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeInItaly View Post

    That's some freakin neck. Ebony board?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Point Lookout, NY
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
    I was just gonna add - MiI is prolly the guy to ask about acoustics on BF.

    Is there a sticker visible inside the soundhole? Maybe that'd give more info on the Southern gtr. (date, materials, country of origin, etc.)

    MiI - He said SGC not SCG - I always wanted either a Santa Cruz, a Gallagher or a Mossman, but I just cannot play a Dreadnaught...the body just feels too huge and bulky to me. If I ever bought an acoustic I'd go with a Martin OM. Unfortunately I suck without an amp, so it's just as well I can't afford one
    Actually he said BSC. Even worse. Oh well we tried to help..

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Point Lookout, NY
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Ebony . Adirondack top . Banjo Killing Monster..

  16. #16
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeInItaly View Post
    I'm also a sucker for that offset headstock scroll - beautiful. I love the understated SC look, lone inlay at 12th fret, etc. In martins, I'd always pick a D-18 over a D-28 pr D-45 (I prefer Mahogany anyway).

    My favorite guitar in the world, by David John Morse, had that same headstock sweep. That's gotta be my holy grail of guitars....he only makes violins now.....I'd have to raise some serious cash for one of those....
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  17. #17
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeInItaly View Post
    Actually he said BSC. Even worse. Oh well we tried to help..
    Oh, right - first post; he corrected later.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  18. #18
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeInItaly View Post
    Yes Ebony . Adirondack top . Banjo Killing Monster..
    I'll bet!

    You can see the ebony in that close up. I'm thinking the peghead is solid rosewood, not a veneer?

    Are those Waverly pegs, or do SC use inhouse tuners?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Point Lookout, NY
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too love Mahogany of all variates.


    Last edited by MadeInItaly; 10-28-08 at 08:34 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member FlyingAnchor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County Ca
    My Bikes
    All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He, (being me) looked at the label and there is no name (no name brand) and it is made in Korea so It is a Asian produced guitar. Depending on the year it could be a treasure or a loser. I've played for many years and the tone on this is well above average. It has a sound that I like and that is the main thing. Wish I could post a pic, it does look nice, but the new is wearing off and I can now see a couple of flaws in finish, so minor as to be considered not there.

    As a woodworker I can examine the finish and see small things.

    I have gone through so many guitars ( ruined a Gibson Archtop in the seventies) that I can safely say that this is a good guitar.

    My top pick would be a Larravee acoustic, they rock and in my opinion they beat Martin or crap company Gibson. (opinion here). I have never played a Larravee that sounded bad and they all have sounded exceptional.

    My next acoustic/electric will be a Seagull, good sound and great action out of the box for the money. And they feel good.

    I'm longwinded tonight, I suppose talking about guitars does that to me. Let's not start on Mandolins, expecially the Rigel G-110. ....................................................

    Bye
    Steven
    Dragging Anchor

  21. #21
    Gotta Catch em all! lanfarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario
    My Bikes
    2008 Giant Rincon
    Posts
    456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingAnchor View Post
    He, (being me) looked at the label and there is no name (no name brand) and it is made in Korea so It is a Asian produced guitar. Depending on the year it could be a treasure or a loser. I've played for many years and the tone on this is well above average. It has a sound that I like and that is the main thing. Wish I could post a pic, it does look nice, but the new is wearing off and I can now see a couple of flaws in finish, so minor as to be considered not there.

    As a woodworker I can examine the finish and see small things.

    I have gone through so many guitars ( ruined a Gibson Archtop in the seventies) that I can safely say that this is a good guitar.

    My top pick would be a Larravee acoustic, they rock and in my opinion they beat Martin or crap company Gibson. (opinion here). I have never played a Larravee that sounded bad and they all have sounded exceptional.

    My next acoustic/electric will be a Seagull, good sound and great action out of the box for the money. And they feel good.

    I'm longwinded tonight, I suppose talking about guitars does that to me. Let's not start on Mandolins, expecially the Rigel G-110. ....................................................

    Bye
    Steven
    Larravee or Larrivee? Or are they the same? Ive only ever seen Larrivee
    Did you just kick my tire?! I hope you didn't just kick my tire!

    Bass naming contest winner: -=Łem in Pa=-

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Point Lookout, NY
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. L makes great guitars. Gibson hasn't made Superior acoustics since the 60's. I don't know what Martins you have played but anything above entry level guitars they send out of their factory are consistent. They are bassy for some folks taste.. There are way too many builders to choose one. Laskin, Goodall, Mcpherson, Santa Cruz, Martin, Lowden etc etc... In my opinion, Collings makes the best guitars. Acoustic , archtop, electric... Mr. Bill does it all and does it well.

    I have never owned and Asian acoustic and pretty sure I never will..

  23. #23
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeInItaly View Post
    I too love Mahogany of all variates.

    Oh, oh, oh, that there is some BEAUTIFUL flaming. WOW.

    *drools*
    Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p

  24. #24
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - I like mahogany for its sound, but obviously it can be beautiful to look at as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  25. #25
    Senior Member FlyingAnchor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County Ca
    My Bikes
    All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larrivee must be right, made in Canada, same country as Seagull.

    These days are the best ever to buy acoustic instruments, with the advent of CAD and Computer made parts the consistancy has shot way up. They get better when the factory uses a master luthier to do the final tuneup, but there are a lot of mass produced guitars that sound great.

    The difference between a $200 guitar and a $500 guitar is pretty big. The difference between a $500 guitar and a $1000 guitar is also significant. The diffenece between a $1000 guitar and a $5000 guitar is much less, you need to really know what you are listening to and for in order to tell the difference. Anything above $5,000 is all about looks because the sound is already there.

    ymmv but not much.

    Steven
    Dragging Anchor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •