Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    No plan. peabodypride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Holiday Returns at Best Buy

    So, I would like to return a monitor I bought in November. It's past the return date but I can still apparently return it in the "holiday extension," but I never got a gift receipt. My plan is to tomorrow go ask for a gift receipt re-print in the morning, then go back at night with the monitor and return it as a gift.

    Credible? Plausible? Does anyone think this will/will not work?

  2. #2
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can't hurt to try.

    unless you get trampled to death.

    sorry, terrible joke, but it's also - sadly - good advice these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  3. #3
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you want to return it?

    If you bought it, why would you return it as a gift?

    Why would you ask Foo if fraud will work?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  4. #4
    No plan. peabodypride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Why do you want to return it?

    If you bought it, why would you return it as a gift?

    Why would you ask Foo if fraud will work?
    1. I am more productive with two (smaller) monitors than one large one.

    2. You may only return items during the extended period as a "gift" with a gift receipt.

    3. That is not fraud as far as I can ethically reason. I am taking advantage of Best Buy's policy, who cares if it is me or a giftee returning it?

  5. #5
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
    1. I am more productive with two (smaller) monitors than one large one.

    2. You may only return items during the extended period as a "gift" with a gift receipt.

    3. That is not fraud as far as I can ethically reason. I am taking advantage of Best Buy's policy, who cares if it is me or a giftee returning it?
    No offense, but working retail...I see it as fraud.

    You will be returning an item for no other reason than you changed your mind and don't want it any more. The store will have to sell it as used and take a loss after you've benefitted from using it. The "gift" policy is meant to benefit those that may have received an incompatible or unneeded item as a gift, not someone that is experiencing buyer's remorse.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  6. #6
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    No offense, but working retail...I see it as fraud.

    You will be returning an item for no other reason than you changed your mind and don't want it any more. The store will have to sell it as used and take a loss after you've benefitted from using it. The "gift" policy is meant to benefit those that may have received an incompatible or unneeded item as a gift, not someone that is experiencing buyer's remorse.
    So he bought himself a gift and he's decided it doesn't fit his needs quite right.

    EDIT: It's not like Best Buy is some mom and pop local business where 70% of its profit goes back into the community. It's a freaking national corporation which only returns 13% of its profits to the community, and most of that would be sales tax. He's using a loophole, not committing fraud!

    EDIT 2: I don't think he's even using a loophole. Nothing he's doing is against their return policy.
    Last edited by SingingSabre; 12-03-08 at 10:33 PM.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  7. #7
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    So he bought himself a gift and he's decided it doesn't fit his needs quite right.

    EDIT: It's not like Best Buy is some mom and pop local business where 70% of its profit goes back into the community. It's a freaking national corporation which only returns 13% of its profits to the community, and most of that would be sales tax. He's using a loophole, not committing fraud!

    EDIT 2: I don't think he's even using a loophole. Nothing he's doing is against their return policy.
    Ah, the old "it's a big corporation" defense.

    Please, explain why it's wrong when applied to a small business as to a large one?

    R.E.Edit2: Was it a gift?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Blue Roads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ABC News Story:
    Students Lie, Cheat, Steal, but Say They're Good

    Nationwide survey finds high levels of cheating, stealing by high school students

    By DAVID CRARY
    NEW YORK November 30, 2008 (AP)

    The Associated Press

    In the past year, 30 percent of U.S. high school students have stolen from a store and 64 percent have cheated on a test, according to a new, large-scale survey suggesting that Americans are too apathetic about ethical standards.

    Educators reacting to the findings questioned any suggestion that today's young people are less honest than previous generations, but several agreed that intensified pressures are prompting many students to cut corners...

    "What is the social cost of that — not to mention the implication for the next generation of mortgage brokers?" Josephson remarked in an interview. "In a society drenched with cynicism, young people can look at it and say 'Why shouldn't we? Everyone else does it.'"...
    http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=6361818
    Last edited by Blue Roads; 12-03-08 at 10:46 PM.
    Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.
    - Master Yoda

  9. #9
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Ah, the old "it's a big corporation" defense.

    Please, explain why it's wrong when applied to a small business as to a large one?

    R.E.Edit2: Was it a gift?
    Wrong to return an item? Never is... Especially when it's within the policy confines of the company. However, I feel that a large corporation which sees its CEOs driving Bentleys and Ferraris while the workers get barely livable wages with little room to work up doesn't deserve the respect and prestige that a small, local store does.

    It's most likely a point that you and I will never agree on.

    As to whether it was a gift or not, it all depends on your definition of "gift." Can a bought item be retroactively termed a gift? Why not? Who's to really say? Sure, it's a little twisted, but so is Best Buy's policies.

    And their customer service sucks more than Anna Nicole Smith did with pharmacologicals.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  10. #10
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, if it's a gift receipt, it'll probably only be for store credit... Just forewarning.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  11. #11
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    Wrong to return an item? Never is... Especially when it's within the policy confines of the company. However, I feel that a large corporation which sees its CEOs driving Bentleys and Ferraris while the workers get barely livable wages with little room to work up doesn't deserve the respect and prestige that a small, local store does.

    It's most likely a point that you and I will never agree on.

    As to whether it was a gift or not, it all depends on your definition of "gift." Can a bought item be retroactively termed a gift? Why not? Who's to really say? Sure, it's a little twisted, but so is Best Buy's policies.

    And their customer service sucks more than Anna Nicole Smith did with pharmacologicals.
    Perhaps you're right: There is no ethical agreement.

    All I did was present my perspective. The OP will make up his own mind according to his own ethics.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Blue Roads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes worked a retail returns counter during high school and college. There wasn't that much outright lying -- that is, using fake ID to return something, or returning something they hadn't purchased but shoplifted -- but there were a fair number of folks that would abuse the policies.

    Gaming the system by manipulating a purchase/receipt/return scenario is common and makes the perpetrator a liar. IMHO, a liar is more harmed by their own behavior than anybody else.
    Last edited by Blue Roads; 12-03-08 at 11:38 PM.
    Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.
    - Master Yoda

  13. #13
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put it on craigslist or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Caspar_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    My Bikes
    Giant Tcx1
    Posts
    530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just last week someone returned a can of spray paint that was the "wrong finish". The can was completely empty.

    We've also had paint returned - and then when checking up on it, it hadn't been sold for 10 years.

    To balance things they gave out 16 treadmills this weekend which they then realised was the wrong one... only 7 have come back so far.

  15. #15
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loathe Best Buy and will never again step in one of their stores.

  16. #16
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post

    3. That is not fraud as far as I can ethically reason. I am taking advantage of Best Buy's policy, who cares if it is me or a giftee returning it?
    That's called "rationalization".
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  17. #17
    Crushing souls Hickeydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ka_jun View Post
    i loathe best buy and will never again step in one of their stores.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post

    What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta go with WordBiker on this one. Buying an item, using it (you didn't say you used it, but didn't say you didn't either, so I am assuming), discovering buyers remorse, and then manufacturing a rationale for "returning" it, is fraud. Rationalize it all you want: that it is a big, faceless, heartless corporation, nobody is being harmed, etc. Still unethical.

    Plus you are probably one of the first to complain about their restrictive return policy. Guess what, they have to do it because of dishonest customers like you.

  19. #19
    No plan. peabodypride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so I ended up returning it for cash, no questions asked. The customer service lady didn't care it was out of the 14-day window.

    So in this case, with not resorting to a gift receipt, how is it unethical? I discovered I did not like a product I bought and I returned it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •