Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-08, 11:02 PM   #1
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!
Thread Starter
 
RubenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I shortcircuit on datelines, I hate them

There's something I should have done few weeks ago. Is a simple project, really. But they put a dateline on it. Every time I see a dateline, my brain short-circuits. I can help it but to stare at my documents with no idea of where to start. Is really hard to focus... All I can think about is the dateline aproaching. Can't concentrate on the task at hand.

I quit my 1st real IT job as a developer because of the datelines. I hate datelines. I hate them, I hate them , I hate them!!!

EDIT: Just cuz I just realized that soon some smarty arse texican is gonna post that this thread is due in MMDDYYYY just to watch my brain fry for fun. :S
RubenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 11:21 PM   #2
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nah, YYYYMMDD is superior and easier to sort.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 11:41 PM   #3
USAZorro
Seņor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Bikes: 1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1996 Giant Iguana, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead
Posts: 14,473
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
There's something I should have done few weeks ago. Is a simple project, really. But they put a dateline on it. Every time I see a dateline, my brain short-circuits. I can help it but to stare at my documents with no idea of where to start. Is really hard to focus... All I can think about is the dateline aproaching. Can't concentrate on the task at hand.

I quit my 1st real IT job as a developer because of the datelines. I hate datelines. I hate them, I hate them , I hate them!!!

EDIT: Just cuz I just realized that soon some smarty arse texican is gonna post that this thread is due in MMDDYYYY just to watch my brain fry for fun. :S
I bet you left out the dependencies and forgot to account for weekends and holidays when determining the duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Nah, YYYYMMDD is superior and easier to sort.
That's MCYYMMDD to you pal.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 11:46 PM   #4
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Nah, YYYYMMDD is superior and easier to sort.
+1, if you think of the possible combinations:

DD MM YYYY
DD YYYY MM

MM DD YYYY
MM YYYY DD

YYYY DD MM
YY MM DDDD

Well, having year in the middle is just silly. The standard MM DD YYYY is okay because Americans say "MONTH DAY YEAR" out loud, but it is a bad system for written stuff.

I actually don't have a preference between DD MM YYYY or YYYY MM DD. They both follow a logical order in encapsulation. If anyone has any good arguments for one over the other, I'd like to hear.
peabodypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 12:22 AM   #5
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
I actually don't have a preference between DD MM YYYY or YYYY MM DD. They both follow a logical order in encapsulation. If anyone has any good arguments for one over the other, I'd like to hear.
Three filenames:

2008-04-19-blah.txt
2007-09-02-blah.txt
2008-09-28-blah.txt

A computer will sort them into a usable order:

2007-09-02-blah.txt
2008-04-19-blah.txt
2008-09-28-blah.txt

However, if they are formatted as DD-MM-YYYY-blah.txt or MM-DD-YYYY-blah.txt, the computer will sort them in a useless manner.

Plus, if you include the time, YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS is pretty cool in that the units go from largest to smallest.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 12:28 AM   #6
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!
Thread Starter
 
RubenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bunch of noobs... overload the comparison operators!
RubenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 05:58 AM   #7
thomson
Senior Member
 
thomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
Bunch of noobs... overload the comparison operators!
You are talking about programming ease, I think the others were talking about processor ease.

In other words, YYYYMMDD can be compared with one (hardware) instruction. MMDDYYYY cannot. You can, in some machines, rearrange the sequence in one instruction and do the compare in another but it still isn't equal (even ignoring the additional storage references). It would be possible with microcode changes to invent an instruction that compared difference date sequences in one instruction. I do not know of anyone that has done that. These days, it hardly seems worthwhile as processors are pretty dang fast.

As for YYYYMMDD vs. DDMMYYYY, from a computer point of view, YYYYMMDD may make sense but from a human point of view DDMMYYYY may make more sense as one only has to read as much as necessary, e.g., just the DD may be enough as you already know the MMYYYY. Your brain is pretty good at dismissing useless stuff pretty fast.
__________________
thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 07:37 AM   #8
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!
Thread Starter
 
RubenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually, overloading those suckers is a pain in the arse... but since Saturday's are my S.A.P. days (Strawman Argument Practice) I will say this...

<strawman>
That obsession with making it easy on the processor was what gave us the darn W2K! Just because DDMMYY was faster than DDMMYYYY...
</strawman>

Wow I did?
RubenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 08:19 AM   #9
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom
 
apclassic9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Millstone WV
Bikes:
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aw, and here I thought you actually meant DEADLINE
__________________
As with mud, life, too, slides by.
apclassic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 08:25 AM   #10
thomson
Senior Member
 
thomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
Actually, overloading those suckers is a pain in the arse... but since Saturday's are my S.A.P. days (Strawman Argument Practice) I will say this...

<strawman>
That obsession with making it easy on the processor was what gave us the darn W2K! Just because DDMMYY was faster than DDMMYYYY...
</strawman>

Wow I did?
PITA aside, it still only has to be coded once but executed every time.

And the pain with W2K was not that YY was faster, it is because it took less storage. Storage used to be a more expensive resource than it is now.

Storing dates in either the preceding formats is not favored anymore. Databases, as an example, store it internally as a number of units following some arbitrary epoch. Number of days since January 1, 1900 is one example. If time is also to be included, it might by number of seconds since January 1, 1900. I just used January 1st 1900 as one example, it depends on the database architecture. These formats allow a variety of calculations to be done quickly. The database (usually) provides a myriad of format options for the User Interface to use that satisfies all locales.
__________________
thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 08:46 AM   #11
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!
Thread Starter
 
RubenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apclassic9 View Post
aw, and here I thought you actually meant DEADLINE
IBGSP (In Before the Grammar and Spelling Police)...

My excuses for the broken English. Too many 12h long night shifts in a row plus a lot of painkillers (of the narcotic kind) tend to turn off my internal ETM (English Transcoder Module). I was indeed talking about my troubles with deadlines. Date lines never caused me any stress at all. I think they call them Escort Services now days...
RubenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 09:16 AM   #12
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To catch a predator? Isn't that on dateline?

YYYYMMDD is swell.
YYMM is worthless. I have no idea why some of my clients like to use it. Then I have to generate the CC portion before loading to a RDB.

Deadlines?
I am a goal oriented person. I need deadlines and always work with project managers. Much better than having an endless project.
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 10:38 AM   #13
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
<strawman>
That obsession with making it easy on the processor was what gave us the darn W2K! Just because DDMMYY was faster than DDMMYYYY...
</strawman>
I always reasoned it was because most of the systems that needed updating were created back when around 8 extra bytes would have been a moderately big deal, but I was only but a toddler back in 2000.
peabodypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 11:42 AM   #14
thomson
Senior Member
 
thomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
I always reasoned it was because most of the systems that needed updating were created back when around 8 extra bytes would have been a moderately big deal, but I was only but a toddler back in 2000.
The extra storage was a big deal.

Up through the mid 70's, most input was in the form of 80 column cards. Any columns you can conserve was worthwhile.

Programmers back then thought of disk drives in terms of track capacity. One had to develop record and block sizes that optimally fit on a track.

Internal storage (aka memory) was very expensive. I remember my company spending a million bucks for 1/2 Meg of internal storage (yes 1/2 Meg). I can't remember how many cards it was on, a rack full. Perhaps 32. The smaller your record size, the more you can fit in storage.

And a reason not talked about much but may be the most important, back then we never dreamed the programs we were writing would still be in use 25 years later.
__________________
thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 AM.