Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,490
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Affordable Film Camera

    OK... I am enjoying my Sony Alpha 200, and have not really done too much with my telephoto lens or filters, nor in fact have used many features beyond using it as a really nice point and shoot camera...

    My local community college doesn't offer classes in digital photograph. However, they do offer a series of courses starting with B&W then color film photography, and I am beginning to think I would like to take the courses.

    So, I am thinking I might like to buy a used, affordable 35mm camera, and a couple of lenses and take the courses.

    Any thoughts and ideas?

    What do I need to look out for if I decide to buy used cameras and lenses?

    I am assuming the professor will have some guidance, but could always use some foo guidance too...

  2. #2
    Senior Member bikebuddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Somewhere in time
    Posts
    1,128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    www.keh.com You can get some real deals on high quality film cameras right now.

    Auto Focus
    Nikon F100 pro quality for less than $300
    Nikon F90 great camera less than $100

    Canon 3 pro quality for less than $300
    Canon 5 great camera less than $100

    Manual Focus
    Nikon F3HP pro quality for less than $300
    Pentax MX great camera for less than $100
    The few, the proud, the likely insane, Metro-Atlanta bicycle commuters.

  3. #3
    Dumb@s$ Jarhead mrt10x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park CO
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    OK... I am enjoying my Sony Alpha 200, and have not really done too much with my telephoto lens or filters, nor in fact have used many features beyond using it as a really nice point and shoot camera...

    My local community college doesn't offer classes in digital photograph. However, they do offer a series of courses starting with B&W then color film photography, and I am beginning to think I would like to take the courses.

    So, I am thinking I might like to buy a used, affordable 35mm camera, and a couple of lenses and take the courses.

    Any thoughts and ideas?

    What do I need to look out for if I decide to buy used cameras and lenses?

    I am assuming the professor will have some guidance, but could always use some foo guidance too...
    Look for a used Minolta on ebay... doesnt the Sony use the Minolta lens mount??
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  4. #4
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,490
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    Look for a used Minolta on ebay... doesnt the Sony use the Minolta lens mount??
    Actually I hadn't considered that, but I believe it does use the Minolta mount. I think the lenses I have are optimized for digital, but they might work fine for film if I am doing manual focus and aperture setting. I'll have to look into that.

  5. #5
    Senior Member bikebuddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Somewhere in time
    Posts
    1,128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Be careful, the A200 uses a sensor that's smaller than the size of 35mm film. If the lens is designed for that size imaging area it may cause vignetting.
    The few, the proud, the likely insane, Metro-Atlanta bicycle commuters.

  6. #6
    some new kind of kick Suttree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Smog Valley
    My Bikes
    SOMA Rush, Miyata 912, Kogswell Mod. G, want a porteur bike
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a Pentax K-1000 if you can find one on e-bay for a decent price.
    Very good basic camera for learning film photography.

    http://catalog.ebay.com/Pentax-K1000...=p3286.c0.m271

    The K1000 is a basic rugged SLR camera--which is de rigeur if you are trying to take photography seriously.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

  7. #7
    Addicted to Pavement sickmtbnutcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SE WI
    My Bikes
    '99 DBR X2, '98 DB Response, '84 Raleigh Marathon, '80 Raleigh Reliant (fixed/single)
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd lean toward a Minolta. You'd probably have to get some older screw-drive Minolta full-frame lenses to get going with it. But, if you get decent ones you'll love having them for your A200 as well.

    <---not a Minolta/Sony expert.

  8. #8
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can probably find an older Minolta OM10 for not much money. Good camera and a lot of available lenses.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  9. #9
    Senior Member bikebuddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Somewhere in time
    Posts
    1,128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiju-velo View Post

    The K1000 is a basic rugged SLR camera--which is de rigeur if you are trying to take photography seriously.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera
    It is a great camera, I've had one for 26 years and it's still going strong.
    The few, the proud, the likely insane, Metro-Atlanta bicycle commuters.

  10. #10
    carbon positive lifestyle carbonlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Heart of Darkness
    My Bikes
    I got a red bike, and I got an orange bike.
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to take the classes, pm me your address and I'll send you a nice old-school kit:

    Minolta X-370 body
    Minolta 28-70mm f3.5-4.8 lens
    Minolta 200mm f4 lens
    Minolta Auto 220X flash

    Everything is in new condition. Ho ho ho! Merrrrry Christmas!


  11. #11
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,490
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbonlife...

    Can't beat that for affordable... PM sent.

    Thanks!

  12. #12
    Not safe for work cyclokitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0
    Posts
    2,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiju-velo View Post
    Get a Pentax K-1000 if you can find one on e-bay for a decent price.
    Very good basic camera for learning film photography.

    http://catalog.ebay.com/Pentax-K1000...=p3286.c0.m271

    The K1000 is a basic rugged SLR camera--which is de rigeur if you are trying to take photography seriously.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera
    Do it! I first learned photography at summer school in grade 8 with one of this babies and B&W film including developing. I loved it. These things are work horses and great cameras.


  13. #13
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonlife View Post
    If you decide to take the classes, pm me your address and I'll send you a nice old-school kit:

    Minolta X-370 body
    Minolta 28-70mm f3.5-4.8 lens
    Minolta 200mm f4 lens
    Minolta Auto 220X flash

    Everything is in new condition. Ho ho ho! Merrrrry Christmas!

    Santa rocks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  14. #14
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    I'd be thirding or fourthing or whatevering the K1000, but you can't beat free.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •