Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Robosapien substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict R4, 2008 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My heart and stuff

    Doctor said my heart's size is on the upper end of normal. But nothing serious at all. He put me on new blood pressure meds. (diuretics aren't a endurance athlete's best friend.)

    He did say that these things worry doctors. When everything comes back normal but the symptoms say something different. He kept wondering if he was overlooking something. I told him that I've been feeling better and that eased his mind a little. He seemed so concerned and really wanted to get to know about my training and abilities as an athlete.

    Several times this month I sent recordings of my heart rate over the phone to his office. He showed me the results. It was weird - but normal he said. My HR went from 70bpm down to 50bpm within a second. He said someone like me can see this a lot.

    My flutters have subsided. I don't get the pain in my left side like I use to. Sometimes my heart will beat hard but not all the time like before. I can also train on my upper limits without getting dizzy and pressure.

    I want to thank you guys for your prayers and thoughts. I've had some serious fear these last couple of months - since the first EKG came back with signs of LVH. Maybe I can relax and sleep tonight without anxiety.

  2. #2
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! Glad for the good news!

  3. #3
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,246
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    always a relief to hear good news
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  4. #4
    shaken, not stirred. gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Shaky Isles.
    My Bikes
    I've lost count.
    Posts
    2,830
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good news.

    What BP meds are you on now?
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
    vBulletin: snafu

  5. #5
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear things are moving in a good direction for you Sub!

  6. #6
    Robosapien substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict R4, 2008 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    That's good news.

    What BP meds are you on now?
    Lisinopril (sp?)

  7. #7
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you get a referral to a specialist? Just sayin', if you've got decent insurance, why not use it?

  8. #8
    Robosapien substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict R4, 2008 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka_Jun View Post
    Can you get a referral to a specialist? Just sayin', if you've got decent insurance, why not use it?
    That's where I came from. And who I've been going to for a month or so. My doctor immediately referred me after he heard my symptoms.

  9. #9
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substructure View Post
    That's where I came from. And who I've been going to for a month or so. My doctor immediately referred me after he heard my symptoms.
    Huh. Specialist seemed unsure? As long as you're comfortable w/ the level of care you're getting.

  10. #10
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka_Jun View Post
    Huh. Specialist seemed unsure? As long as you're comfortable w/ the level of care you're getting.
    Dr's can't always find out what's going on. Trust me on this one.

  11. #11
    Robosapien substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict R4, 2008 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka_Jun View Post
    Huh. Specialist seemed unsure? As long as you're comfortable w/ the level of care you're getting.
    He met with colleagues about my issue, he said. He wanted to make dang sure he wasn't missing anything. He told me that he and a few guys poured over my test results and everything last week before I came in.

    IF! I have any more symptoms, I promise you that I will go back and ask what the next steps would be - even ask for a second opinion.

    But like I said, things have been getting better.

  12. #12
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it, gotta take care of your health, especially if it keeps you off your rig.

  13. #13
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substructure View Post
    He met with colleagues about my issue, he said. He wanted to make dang sure he wasn't missing anything. He told me that he and a few guys poured over my test results and everything last week before I came in.

    IF! I have any more symptoms, I promise you that I will go back and ask what the next steps would be - even ask for a second opinion.

    But like I said, things have been getting better.
    have you slacked off a little on the training lately?
    Could it be overtraining?

  14. #14
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool beans.... game on!
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  15. #15
    Robosapien substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict R4, 2008 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MV,
    He asked that. Asked a lot about my training. I told him I thought it might be that but it took ... ooohhhh ....three months of slacking off if that was the case. And very well could have been. Sheesh! I poured it on at the end of the year winning my 4th cat3 race after upgrading and continued to pour it on through September until I blew up at Greenville. Then I slacked a lot until this month.

  16. #16
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substructure View Post
    MV,
    He asked that. Asked a lot about my training. I told him I thought it might be that but it took ... ooohhhh ....three months of slacking off if that was the case. And very well could have been. Sheesh! I poured it on at the end of the year winning my 4th cat3 race after upgrading and continued to pour it on through September until I blew up at Greenville. Then I slacked a lot until this month.
    It sounds almost textbook case of OT. Especially if your doing much better now.
    And I can vouch for lisinopril...I've had no palpitations since going on it, myself.

  17. #17
    Robosapien substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict R4, 2008 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    It sounds almost textbook case of OT. Especially if your doing much better now.
    And I can vouch for lisinopril...I've had no palpitations since going on it, myself.
    That's good news on the meds.

    If that is the case - with OT - I'm going slowly this year. I want some juice at the end of the season. Unlike last year where I went balls-out from the gun. This crap scared the bejesus out of me.

  18. #18
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 1993 Marin Pine Mountain, Orbea Team Euskaltel
    Posts
    2,767
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SS - so stoked to be getting good news on this. In addition to being healthy your heart must be filled with joy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  19. #19
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substructure View Post
    My HR went from 120bpm up to 170bpm within a second. He said a Cat 4 like me chasing Cat 2's can see this a lot.
    Fixed, for me.

  20. #20
    Robosapien substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict R4, 2008 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
    SS - so stoked to be getting good news on this. In addition to being healthy your heart must be filled with joy
    It is Pgoat. I'm so much more at ease and happy that I ain't gonna croak in my sleep.

  21. #21
    Robosapien substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict R4, 2008 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Fixed, for me.
    Hey, Pcad. Mine does that too chasing those guys. Saturday was a prime example.

  22. #22
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substructure View Post
    It is Pgoat. I'm so much more at ease and happy that I ain't gonna croak in my sleep.
    well, to ease you mind a bit more, if you do croak in your sleep, rest assured your wife will be getting some attention paid to her.

  23. #23
    Robosapien substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict R4, 2008 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    well, to ease you mind a bit more, if you do croak in your sleep, rest assured your wife will be getting some attention paid to her.
    That is reassuring. Thanks.

  24. #24
    JF1
    JF1 is offline
    Senior Member JF1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaysville, Utah
    My Bikes
    2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a larger heart isn't a bad thing is it? Most endurance athletes have larger hearts. I went to one of those "Body Worlds" exhibits here and it showed an average size heart and a model of how big Lance Armstrong's heart is comparatively. It was at least a third bigger.
    Hope you get things worked out but it sounds like good news so far.
    J
    Good times.

  25. #25
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JF1 View Post
    Having a larger heart isn't a bad thing is it? Most endurance athletes have larger hearts. I went to one of those "Body Worlds" exhibits here and it showed an average size heart and a model of how big Lance Armstrong's heart is comparatively. It was at least a third bigger.
    Hope you get things worked out but it sounds like good news so far.
    depends on why and how the heart has enlarged. Usually, endurance atheletes hearts have grown bigger without the walls growing diproportionately thick. Someone with an enlarged heart due to some sort of pathology will have walls that have grown disproportionately thick and stiff and therefore the heart does not pump as well.
    Last edited by ModoVincere; 01-14-09 at 08:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •