Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-09, 10:42 PM   #1
Pheard
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a_freaking_mazing stupid RAW files

I already installed the driver last time I had the d60. I just REinstalled the damn thing. It's saying "cannot complete request because its not the right file type". I can't tell if that means it can't read the file type of not, but I think it can because it is showing the preview in the thumbnails which usually only happens if the computer recognizes the file type. Anyone can think of the prob?
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 10:47 PM   #2
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11,014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheard View Post
Anyone can think of the prob?
Yeah. You don't know what the hell you are doing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 10:49 PM   #3
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you sure you want to mess with RAW files? It's a pretty nifty thing to mess with, but having a mass of files in RAW is a bit of a hassle, I've found. I switched back to just shooting in JPEG. If you're worried about over/under-exposure, just shoot in exposure bracketing mode.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 10:51 PM   #4
Pheard
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Are you sure you want to mess with RAW files? It's a pretty nifty thing to mess with, but having a mass of files in RAW is a bit of a hassle, I've found. I switched back to just shooting in JPEG. If you're worried about over/under-exposure, just shoot in exposure bracketing mode.
I'm more and more finding raw files are a pain in the arse. It won't open the NEF files, gah. I don't know what im missing because the windows file viewer and the thumbnails are showing the pictures up. W. T. F. ?
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 10:52 PM   #5
Pheard
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Yeah. You don't know what the hell you are doing.
That was helpful advice. I will bank that in the recycle bin for later use.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 10:54 PM   #6
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The RAW files might have an embedded preview image that Windows is drawing from, as opposed to Windows actually reading the RAW file and making its own preview.

Did you install software to view the files (Photoshop or otherwise)? I wouldn't think anything built into Windows would know what to do.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 10:54 PM   #7
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11,014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
You know how I always want to be there for ya, Jon. Hell, someone had to tell ya!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 10:56 PM   #8
Pheard
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
The RAW files might have an embedded preview image that Windows is drawing from, as opposed to Windows actually reading the RAW file and making its own preview.

Did you install software to view the files (Photoshop or otherwise)? I wouldn't think anything built into Windows would know what to do.
Well I installed a nikon codec for reading RAW nikon files. Weird thing is last time the files were def or something now they are NEF. After I installed the driver the windows previewer is completely full resolution opening the images but they are still not opening in Photoshop.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 10:57 PM   #9
Pheard
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
You know how I always want to be there for ya, Jon. Hell, someone had to tell ya!
The truth is, I never know what's going on.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 11:00 PM   #10
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheard View Post
Well I installed a nikon codec for reading RAW nikon files. Weird thing is last time the files were def or something now they are NEF. After I installed the driver the windows previewer is completely full resolution opening the images but they are still not opening in Photoshop.
See if there is a plug-in for PhotoShop too.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 11:01 PM   #11
Pheard
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
See if there is a plug-in for PhotoShop too.
Yea I'm trying to find it, because I just installed the supposed photoshop plugin and it doesn't seem to want to work.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 11:19 PM   #12
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11,014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheard View Post
The truth is, I never know what's going on.
Yeah we know. We just sorta play along here and let you think you do.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 02:02 AM   #13
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You CANNOT use the Nikon raw plug-in. You MUST use the ADOBE RAW plug-in with Photoshop to read NEF files... Locate the Photoshop plug-ins folder and delete the "Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi" file. Then install the "Camera Raw.8bi" from Adobe.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 05:06 AM   #14
ehidle
T-Shirt Guy
 
ehidle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lansdale, PA
Bikes: 2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheard View Post
Well I installed a nikon codec for reading RAW nikon files.
Why do you need a codec for RAW files? Aren't they uncompressed?
__________________
Yellow + Blue Jerseys!

Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
Men's
and Women's designs available
ehidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 06:26 AM   #15
AnthonyG
Senior Member
 
AnthonyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Queanbeyan, Australia.
Bikes:
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Well it sounds like Danno gave the right answer as usual but the question remains as to why you choose to play around with raw files if your just opening them with Windows file viewer. Raw files are for geeks who want to get the last bit of quality out of their images and are using Adobe Photoshop with Adobe Camera Raw to open and process the files.

If your not using ACR or similar stick to jpeg's.

Anthony
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 PM.