Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Carl Sagan

  1. #1
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Carl Sagan

    I read many books and articles from this guy when I was a teenager. I believed lots of the stuff he said about aliens. Now I think it was lot of BS but I still like the guy. So, what do you think about this guy?

  2. #2
    THC Freedom Fighter karmical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    OaKsTeRdAm
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read one of his essays on marijuana on another forum, pretty good read...
    Smoke all you want too, we'll grow more...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Garfield Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scientists who use their position as scientists to promote other things that are not in their realm of expertise, are like you and me. If I were a bike mechanic, what would I be doing talking about a Rolls Royce jet engine? If I were a body builder and actor, what would I be doing as a governor of California?

  4. #4
    K2ProFlex baby! ilikebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
    My Bikes
    to many to list
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    Scientists who use their position as scientists to promote other things that are not in their realm of expertise, are like you and me. If I were a bike mechanic, what would I be doing talking about a Rolls Royce jet engine? If I were a body builder and actor, what would I be doing as a governor of California?
    I think anyone can have a say or try anything, why would someone need to be an expert to have a say or try something new? Im sure it would help but ****! Look at our former President!
    OK, Carl, I like/liked the guy, I think his thoughts on Aliens are more like "educated guesses" so that makes them a little more acceptable than mine.
    Last edited by ilikebikes; 01-27-09 at 10:15 AM.
    You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

  5. #5
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,551
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    Scientists who use their position as scientists to promote other things that are not in their realm of expertise, are like you and me. If I were a bike mechanic, what would I be doing talking about a Rolls Royce jet engine? If I were a body builder and actor, what would I be doing as a governor of California?
    Yeah but Sagan was an astronomer and also philosopher of science. So I think you still have to judge what you think of him based on what you think he said rather than whether you think he should have said it.

  6. #6
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    If I were a body builder and actor, what would I be doing as a governor of California?
    Didn't you just answer your own question?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  7. #7
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,856
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure what "stuff about aliens" you are referring to.

    If you are talking about the Drake equation, he certainly helped give that some exposure. He also gave public credit to Frank Drake.

    I couldn't care less about the marijuana topic. I have always admired Carl and will continue to do so indefinitely. He was one of the best teachers of his generation.

  8. #8
    ReMember trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    I read many books and articles from this guy when I was a teenager. I believed lots of the stuff he said about aliens. Now I think it was lot of BS but I still like the guy. So, what do you think about this guy?
    What was BS? If something was an estimate or guess, he said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    And Jseis said, "Let him that isn't stoned commit the first sin."

  9. #9
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
    What was BS? If something was an estimate or guess, he said so.
    He was narrating stories from his trips around the world. Mere legends he learned from the locals of the places he visited. He will go on and try to convince the reader that it was true and actually happened. At some points I was not sure if he was still narrating his trip or if he jumped into science fiction altogether. The line was blurred.

    I spent many weekends on the roof, meditating, concentrating, while trying to move a pen over a paper with my eyes closed. I never got any alien message.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Garfield Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    Yeah but Sagan was an astronomer and also philosopher of science. So I think you still have to judge what you think of him based on what you think he said rather than whether you think he should have said it.
    Whether I think he should have said it is a ethical issue. If he is an expert in the natural sciences, then his comments on natural sciences will be judged by his peers.

    I am not sure if he is a "philosopher of science", or even what that means. I believe that the natural sciences are empirical in its inquiry. Isn't that the scientific method?

  11. #11
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,551
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    I am not sure if he is a "philosopher of science", or even what that means. I believe that the natural sciences are empirical in its inquiry. Isn't that the scientific method?
    'Philosophy of science' is an academic discipline that he was active in.

  12. #12
    K2ProFlex baby! ilikebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
    My Bikes
    to many to list
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    He was narrating stories from his trips around the world. Mere legends he learned from the locals of the places he visited. He will go on and try to convince the reader that it was true and actually happened. At some points I was not sure if he was still narrating his trip or if he jumped into science fiction altogether. The line was blurred.

    I spent many weekends on the roof, meditating, concentrating, while trying to move a pen over a paper with my eyes closed. I never got any alien message.

    You'd be surprised how many of those "mere legends" may be based on true facts, some if not most legends may be more credible than our so called "science facts" IMHO
    You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

  13. #13
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,856
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to say if you cannot produce the actual text then I am going to disbelieve this. At no point in Sagan's career was he ever known for attempting to convince readers that mythological stories were true.

    Let's see the original text.

  14. #14
    hiphopopotamus wolfbrother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    milwaukee, wi
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Grumpy McTrumpy;8257983]I'm going to say if you cannot produce the actual text then I am going to disbelieve this. At no point in Sagan's career was he ever known for attempting to convince readers that mythological stories were true. QUOTE]

    Didn't he spend most of his career trying to convince people that mythological stories aren't true?
    living every week like it's shark week.

  15. #15
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carl was alright...but he was no

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  16. #16
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do I think?

    I think he's dead.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  17. #17
    ReMember trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    Carl was alright...but he was no

    thank heavens
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    And Jseis said, "Let him that isn't stoned commit the first sin."

  18. #18
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
    thank heavens
    LOL.....true though!
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •