Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rhetorical Situation

    If you had to write about something that you would in no reason want to write about, or have feelings that would make the piece of writing feel uncomfortable to you, what would that something be?

    For example. Say a devout Christian had to write about Atheistic theories, and the person would want to avoid that topic. Or say Bob hated Jimmy. Bob saw Jimmy get hit by a car, and Jimmy told Bob he wanted him to write his eulogy. But since Bob hates the guy, he wouldn't want to write it.

    I can't think of anything personally I would not want to write about. I suppose I wouldn't want to write a public apology letter for something I did or didn't do, but would have to apologize anyways. How's that? This is for an English class.

  2. #2
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like you should find a topic you feel strongly about (abortion, death penalty, religion [including non-Christian], etc....) and argue the opposite point that you feel strongly about.

    Reminds me of a college project I had once. It was for speech 101 class and we had to have group debates. The teacher took a few of us who were a bit more "outgoing" and made us take the opposite points of view. After doing research against the opposite POV I found that there really were valid arguments against what I believed. It was quite enlightening.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  3. #3
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Debate, public speaking, and forensics should be mandatory in schools.

  4. #4
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    15,958
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Mentally adopt this position as your own for the exercise and develop your aruments from that pint of view. It's just an exercise to teach you to see other viewpoints than your own.

    It's actually a pretty interesting and challenging process, by the way, and one you can have some fun with.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  5. #5
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka_Jun View Post
    Debate, public speaking, and forensics should be mandatory in schools.
    I won't disagree with the first two. Forensics? Fun, I'll give ya, but mandatory? Oh...must have been a joke. nevermind.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  6. #6
    Surf Bum
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pacifica, CA
    My Bikes
    Vintage Trek, Vintage Diamond Back Mountain Bike, Bianchi Axis CrossBike
    Posts
    2,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if this is a "rhetorical" question, then you don't expect us to reply, right?

    I think the phrase you are looking for is "hypothetical situation."

  7. #7
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificaslim View Post
    Well, if this is a "rhetorical" question, then you don't expect us to reply, right?

    I think the phrase you are looking for is "hypothetical situation."
    damn, beat me to it.

  8. #8
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    I won't disagree with the first two. Forensics? Fun, I'll give ya, but mandatory? Oh...must have been a joke. nevermind.
    No, no joke.

  9. #9
    T-Shirt Guy ehidle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have deep personal issues with having to write a piece supporting the global expansion of socialism...
    Yellow + Blue Jerseys!

    Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
    Men's
    and Women's designs available

  10. #10
    Who farted? Ka_Jun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    I would have deep personal issues with having to write a piece supporting the global expansion of socialism...
    I would find that easy, but that's just me.

    The topic I would have trouble writing about is inappropriate for this forum.

  11. #11
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm choosing celebrity gossip. Never could I write anything about that.

    "Stop the press..Jessica Simpson gained 5 lbs!"

  12. #12
    Senior Member skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CO Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ123 View Post
    If you had to write about something that you would in no reason want to write about, or have feelings that would make the piece of writing feel uncomfortable to you, what would that something be?

    For example. Say a devout Christian had to write about Atheistic theories, and the person would want to avoid that topic. Or say Bob hated Jimmy. Bob saw Jimmy get hit by a car, and Jimmy told Bob he wanted him to write his eulogy. But since Bob hates the guy, he wouldn't want to write it.

    I can't think of anything personally I would not want to write about. I suppose I wouldn't want to write a public apology letter for something I did or didn't do, but would have to apologize anyways. How's that? This is for an English class.
    These sound more like ironic situations.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    2010 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  13. #13
    Villainous huerro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austin
    My Bikes
    Trek 420, Cyclops
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd probably write about the time jsharr invited me in to see his collection of princess figurines.

    Thinking about it makes me very uncomfortable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •