Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Hey gnome!

  1. #1
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hey gnome!

    I keep seeing all these commercials for NZ. Will I really be forever young if I go there? And, is there a University anywhere near you?

  2. #2
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, are there any job openings for unsafe alpinists?

  3. #3
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    Also, are there any job openings for unsafe alpinists at companies willing to cover relocation costs?
    Seriously, you want this.

  4. #4
    shaken, not stirred. gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Shaky Isles.
    My Bikes
    I've lost count.
    Posts
    2,909
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    I keep seeing all these commercials for NZ. Will I really be forever young if I go there? And, is there a University anywhere near you?
    Well yes and no. You won't stay forever young (unless you die young) but you are allowed to grow old disgracefully.

    There is a university campus 10km, a Polytechnic campus 4km, a different campus for the same Polytechnic 2km, another university 25km from my house. There is also a two beaches within 15km, hills with MTB and walking tracks and rock climbing within 5km. The nearest mountains are about a 2 hour drive.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
    vBulletin: snafu

  5. #5
    shaken, not stirred. gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Shaky Isles.
    My Bikes
    I've lost count.
    Posts
    2,909
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    Also, are there any job openings for unsafe alpinists?
    Would have a clue. I haven't looked in the Situations Vacancts for ages. Oh, our dollar is currently worth US$0.50 so it is cheap for yanks to come here.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
    vBulletin: snafu

  6. #6
    some new kind of kick Suttree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Smog Valley
    My Bikes
    SOMA Rush, Miyata 912, Kogswell Mod. G, want a porteur bike
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do y'all need any environmental attorneys? What kind
    of socialized medicine and retirement do you have?
    I'd be willing to work hard for a country that had it's
    act together. I already work my arse off here--
    in the US of A. I'm not feeling like I trust Uncle
    Sam to have my back so I seriously think of emigrating
    to some other country at times.

  7. #7
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    Seriously, you want this.
    Ideally, yes, but shouldn't let it stop you. The main obstacle to moving to another place is you. If you go to New Zealand and want to find a job, you will find one. Eventually.

    In my experience, companies are MUCH more likely to hire people who are already in the place they want to work. Less risk and expense for the company involved.

  8. #8
    shaken, not stirred. gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Shaky Isles.
    My Bikes
    I've lost count.
    Posts
    2,909
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiju-velo View Post
    Do y'all need any environmental attorneys? What kind
    of socialized medicine and retirement do you have?
    I'd be willing to work hard for a country that had it's
    act together. I already work my arse off here--
    in the US of A. I'm not feeling like I trust Uncle
    Sam to have my back so I seriously think of emigrating
    to some other country at times.
    There were a couple of jobs available on seek.

    Our health system isn't in the greatest of shapes despite the money thrown at it by the government. In saying that, as part of everyone's taxes there is a component that goes towards funding ACC. ACC is a government organisation that heavily (almost completely) subsidises accident treatment and recovery. For example I didn't have to pay a cent for treatment for a partially torn hamstring, my broken elbow or my cracked ribs and with my elbow as I couldn't work they paid 80% of my wages while I was away from work. The government also subsidises most doctors visits, dentist visits for those under 18 and prescriptions. For example my three monthly doctors visit costs about $40 and my prescription costs about $5. There can be long delays in getting non-urgent surgeries done in the public system though. If you have the money or have health insurance you can get it done privately.

    Our current retirement scheme is simple. At 65 years of age everyone gets a superannuation pension, provided they are a citizen or permanent resident and have lived in NZ for at least 10 years since you turned 20. It currently is, for a single person, gross (pre-tax) of NZ$18,000 or a net of $595 a fortnight.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
    vBulletin: snafu

  9. #9
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    There were a couple of jobs available on seek.

    Our health system isn't in the greatest of shapes despite the money thrown at it by the government. In saying that, as part of everyone's taxes there is a component that goes towards funding ACC. ACC is a government organisation that heavily (almost completely) subsidises accident treatment and recovery. For example I didn't have to pay a cent for treatment for a partially torn hamstring, my broken elbow or my cracked ribs and with my elbow as I couldn't work they paid 80% of my wages while I was away from work. The government also subsidises most doctors visits, dentist visits for those under 18 and prescriptions. For example my three monthly doctors visit costs about $40 and my prescription costs about $5. There can be long delays in getting non-urgent surgeries done in the public system though. If you have the money or have health insurance you can get it done privately.

    Our current retirement scheme is simple. At 65 years of age everyone gets a superannuation pension, provided they are a citizen or permanent resident and have lived in NZ for at least 10 years since you turned 20. It currently is, for a single person, gross (pre-tax) of NZ$18,000 or a net of $595 a fortnight.
    Oh yeah. I'm totally willing to move to a country that uses the term "fortnight" in regular speech.

  10. #10
    shaken, not stirred. gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Shaky Isles.
    My Bikes
    I've lost count.
    Posts
    2,909
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    Oh yeah. I'm totally willing to move to a country that uses the term "fortnight" in regular speech.
    Well we were a British colony originally. What do Yanks call a two week period then?
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
    vBulletin: snafu

  11. #11
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Well we were a British colony originally. What do Yanks call a two week period then?
    two weeks

  12. #12
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Well we were a British colony originally. What do Yanks call a two week period then?
    I lived in England for a year. I actually miss hearing fortnight. It took me about a fortnight to figure out what the hell it actually meant.

  13. #13
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    I lived in England for a year. I actually miss hearing fortnight. It took me about a fortnight to figure out what the hell it actually meant.
    I went over for 2 weeks about 5 years ago. A few days after I got there I asked a friend of mine I met up with what a quid was. None of my money had the word "quid" on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  14. #14
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    freakin' forevah
    noo yawked it for you
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  15. #15
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <sigh> NZ is Xena and Hercules territory .... love the scenery.

    Best go by that lotto ticket I was going to ...

  16. #16
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    two weeks

  17. #17
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do Queen's English-speaking countries say to indicate a period of three weeks? Fortnight and a half? Is a month two fortnights?

  18. #18
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    What do Queen's English-speaking countries say to indicate a period of three weeks? Fortnight and a half? Is a month two fortnights?
    Three weeks in a bushel, half a hundredweight to a month.

  19. #19
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbcb View Post
    Three weeks in a bushel, half a hundredweight to a month.
    So a hogsday is... 6-8 weeks?

  20. #20
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    So a hogsday is... 6-8 weeks?
    Hogshead! A hogsday is 3/4 of an acre.

  21. #21
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbcb View Post
    Hogshead! A hogsday is 3/4 of an acre.
    Damn, I always get those two mixed up.

    A pennyweight is still 13 hours and 17 minutes, right?

  22. #22
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but only on weekdays between 9am and 4pm.

  23. #23
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, of course. Wouldn't make sense any other way.

  24. #24
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad that's cleared up. So ... New Zealand! Good place.

  25. #25
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :hypnosis: come visit Canada, your friendly, excellent exchange rate and cheap air travel, next door neighbour which is also a former British colony. We can woo you with words too! Wooo!!!
    actually I've always wanted to visit Australia and New Zealand.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •