Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-09, 11:44 AM   #1
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Resume

I'm writing my resume to submit to a company that I'd like to intern for. I feel like I have credentials to get this job, but I'm curious about how much detail I need to go into in the "work experience" section of my resume. For example, I worked at a contract manufacturer of medical devices.
This is an ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 compliant facility. I assisted the production engineer in maintaining, developing, and ultimately manually machining the fixtures from raw material. Material was usually stainless steel, teflon, nylon, delrin, or garolite. I assisted in the documentation of these to maintain ISO 9001 standards.

How much detail of this do I include in my resume? Do I just add an extremely undetailed synopsis and tell it all to the interviewer?
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 12:55 PM   #2
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My general rule is that I try to keep it to less than 2 pages with resumes. I basically have a full version, and if I'm sending it to someone, I chop out and edit as I see fit for the given circumstance. Once in a while it might work best to have a ton of details listed as a means to impress the reader, but usually, I would want to consolidate all pertinant information.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 03:00 PM   #3
Blue Roads
Senior Member
 
Blue Roads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
I'm writing my resume to submit to a company that I'd like to intern for. I feel like I have credentials to get this job, but I'm curious about how much detail I need to go into in the "work experience" section of my resume. For example, I worked at a contract manufacturer of medical devices.
This is an ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 compliant facility. I assisted the production engineer in maintaining, developing, and ultimately manually machining the fixtures from raw material. Material was usually stainless steel, teflon, nylon, delrin, or garolite. I assisted in the documentation of these to maintain ISO 9001 standards.

How much detail of this do I include in my resume? Do I just add an extremely undetailed synopsis and tell it all to the interviewer?
Don't just list what you did at your previous job. If possible, each description of a job responsibility should include the positive result of your contribution. Managers like to see results. Also, it's okay to guess on certain numbers as long as you're close ("Due to my exceptional organizational skills, we saved $7,000"). Avoid using the pronoun "I" when possible -- it gets repetitive and the hiring manager knows the resume is about you.

Example:

In an ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 compliant facility, assisting the production engineer: maintained, developed, and machined fixtures from raw materials including stainless steel, Teflon, nylon, Delrin, and Garolite. Established new inter-department relationships, streamlined processes, and increased production time by 12% saving our department $19,000.

[BTW, Teflon, Delrin, and Garolite are all brand names and should be capitalized.]

Incidentally, your answers to interview questions should go the same way. Each interview answer should be a mini-explanation of what you did and the positive result of your contribution (be prepared to elaborate on each, in case the interviewer wants more details): "I improved/built/fixed/managed/streamlined the process/department/machine/Web site and the result was a savings of $1,000,000 in production costs/a new $1,000,000 contract/increased revenue of $1,000,000/a better product that will save the world."

Last edited by Blue Roads; 02-28-09 at 03:14 PM.
Blue Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 04:13 PM   #4
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)
Posts: 3,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roads View Post
Don't just list what you did at your previous job. If possible, each description of a job responsibility should include the positive result of your contribution. Managers like to see results. Also, it's okay to guess on certain numbers as long as you're close ("Due to my exceptional organizational skills, we saved $7,000"). Avoid using the pronoun "I" when possible -- it gets repetitive and the hiring manager knows the resume is about you.

Example:

In an ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 compliant facility, assisting the production engineer: maintained, developed, and machined fixtures from raw materials including stainless steel, Teflon, nylon, Delrin, and Garolite. Established new inter-department relationships, streamlined processes, and increased production time by 12% saving our department $19,000.

[BTW, Teflon, Delrin, and Garolite are all brand names and should be capitalized.]

Incidentally, your answers to interview questions should go the same way. Each interview answer should be a mini-explanation of what you did and the positive result of your contribution (be prepared to elaborate on each, in case the interviewer wants more details): "I improved/built/fixed/managed/streamlined the process/department/machine/Web site and the result was a savings of $1,000,000 in production costs/a new $1,000,000 contract/increased revenue of $1,000,000/a better product that will save the world."
I pretty much agree with this. Be descriptive, but succinct. Also, make sure that your work experience bullets all start with an action verb. There are plenty of lists of good ones online. You can play around with these to make your responsibilities sound more (or less) exciting.

Good luck!
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 04:26 PM   #5
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)
Posts: 3,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
My general rule is that I try to keep it to less than 2 pages with resumes. I basically have a full version, and if I'm sending it to someone, I chop out and edit as I see fit for the given circumstance. Once in a while it might work best to have a ton of details listed as a means to impress the reader, but usually, I would want to consolidate all pertinant information.
For people with a less mature career history, it's better to keep everything down to 1 page. This will be hard as you gain more experience, but this really helps managers screen people quickly. Managers at higher-profile companies receive a lot of resumes and generally don't have the time to fully read two pages of material, unless it's a CV and very detailed (and that's generally better suited for companies that require employees with a LOT of academic experience, like R&D facilities).
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 05:09 PM   #6
Jynx
.....
 
Jynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrassic View Post
For people with a less mature career history, it's better to keep everything down to 1 page. This will be hard as you gain more experience, but this really helps managers screen people quickly. Managers at higher-profile companies receive a lot of resumes and generally don't have the time to fully read two pages of material, unless it's a CV and very detailed (and that's generally better suited for companies that require employees with a LOT of academic experience, like R&D facilities).
+1

1 page total unless they require additional information.

Also I believe ISO 9001 is included in the ISO 13485 certification so it may be redundant to say both.
__________________
Weight Listing Index (Feel Free to add to it!)

Buy your bike parts here
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 05:22 PM   #7
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrassic View Post
For people with a less mature career history, it's better to keep everything down to 1 page. This will be hard as you gain more experience, but this really helps managers screen people quickly. Managers at higher-profile companies receive a lot of resumes and generally don't have the time to fully read two pages of material, unless it's a CV and very detailed (and that's generally better suited for companies that require employees with a LOT of academic experience, like R&D facilities).
Mine must work pretty well, because when I apply to a company, they usually end up wanting to make me a supervisor.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 05:29 PM   #8
Blue Roads
Senior Member
 
Blue Roads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
How much detail of this do I include in my resume? Do I just add an extremely undetailed synopsis and tell it all to the interviewer?
A modern general resume format is as follows:


-------


Summary (No more "Objective" as that's considered old form -- everyone knows your objective is to get a job)

Production Specialist with broad experience maintaining, developing, and machining fixtures using modern processes and working with a variety of raw materials. Assistant Manager with excellent experience motivating a production team and implementing new human resource initiatives.


Professional Experience

Production Specialist 2007-2008
ABC Company - New York, NY
  • In an ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 compliant facility, maintained, developed, and machined fixtures from raw materials including stainless steel, Teflon, nylon, Delrin, and Garolite. Established new inter-department relationships, streamlined processes, and increased production time by 12% saving our department $19,000.
  • Maintained regulatory documentation to ensure ISO 9001 industry compliance. Streamlined documentation collection process resulting in a 15% reduction of time spent managing documentation inventory.
  • Collaborated with department managers and built cross-group relationships resulting in new training initiatives ...

Production Assistant 2006-2007
XYZ Company - New York, NY
  • ...
  • ...
  • ...

Education and Training

ABC University, New York, NY (expected graduation 2009)
Bachelor of Science in ...

Proficient with Microsoft Office 2007 including Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Visio ... Working knowledge of ...


-------



The idea is to show several job responsibilities under each employer, and an achievement associated with each of those responsibilities, with the goal of getting you a seat in front of the interviewer.

In case you're asked to elaborate, memorize a deeper explanation for each of your bulleted job responsibilites/acheivements, and think of 2-3 extra situations where you were faced with a challenge, the steps you took to overcome each of those challenges, and the positive outcomes for each challenge because of your actions.

Also, in case you're asked "Describe to me a situation where you made a mistake": Think of a situation where you made a minor mistake, but quickly transition into what you learned from that mistake and how you soon applied that to overcome another challenge.

Also, in case you're asked "Describe to me your greatest weakness": Think of an honest weakness -- don't be too hard on yourself such as "I have trouble getting along with people ..." -- but make it something leaning toward trivial, then describe the steps you've taken to address that weakness and how you've made great improvement.

Last edited by Blue Roads; 02-28-09 at 06:20 PM.
Blue Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 07:42 AM   #9
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just keep it on one page. You're in college so you should not have two pages.
Jerseysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 07:58 AM   #10
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roads View Post
A modern general resume format is as follows:


-------


Summary (No more "Objective" as that's considered old form -- everyone knows your objective is to get a job)

Production Specialist with broad experience maintaining, developing, and machining fixtures using modern processes and working with a variety of raw materials. Assistant Manager with excellent experience motivating a production team and implementing new human resource initiatives.


Professional Experience

Production Specialist 2007-2008
ABC Company - New York, NY
  • In an ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 compliant facility, maintained, developed, and machined fixtures from raw materials including stainless steel, Teflon, nylon, Delrin, and Garolite. Established new inter-department relationships, streamlined processes, and increased production time by 12% saving our department $19,000.
  • Maintained regulatory documentation to ensure ISO 9001 industry compliance. Streamlined documentation collection process resulting in a 15% reduction of time spent managing documentation inventory.
  • Collaborated with department managers and built cross-group relationships resulting in new training initiatives ...

Production Assistant 2006-2007
XYZ Company - New York, NY
  • ...
  • ...
  • ...

Education and Training

ABC University, New York, NY (expected graduation 2009)
Bachelor of Science in ...

Proficient with Microsoft Office 2007 including Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Visio ... Working knowledge of ...


-------



The idea is to show several job responsibilities under each employer, and an achievement associated with each of those responsibilities, with the goal of getting you a seat in front of the interviewer.

In case you're asked to elaborate, memorize a deeper explanation for each of your bulleted job responsibilites/acheivements, and think of 2-3 extra situations where you were faced with a challenge, the steps you took to overcome each of those challenges, and the positive outcomes for each challenge because of your actions.

Also, in case you're asked "Describe to me a situation where you made a mistake": Think of a situation where you made a minor mistake, but quickly transition into what you learned from that mistake and how you soon applied that to overcome another challenge.

Also, in case you're asked "Describe to me your greatest weakness": Think of an honest weakness -- don't be too hard on yourself such as "I have trouble getting along with people ..." -- but make it something leaning toward trivial, then describe the steps you've taken to address that weakness and how you've made great improvement.
Prior to retirement, 8 years ago, this is one I would look at - and read!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 AM.