Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-09, 02:11 PM   #1
BoSoxYacht
Banned
Thread Starter
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sam Adams Utopias, have you tried it?



The brew pub I go to fairly often is having a Utopias tasting for some of it's regulars. I had a couple of glasses of it on my last vacation to Boston, and enjoyed it very much.

Have you tried it, and what did you think?
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:12 PM   #2
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
What is it? I had their Triple Bock several years ago.

A little sweet, not bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:16 PM   #3
BoSoxYacht
Banned
Thread Starter
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
What is it? I had their Triple Bock several years ago.

A little sweet, not bad.
http://www.beeripedia.com/index.php/..._Adams_Utopias
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:18 PM   #4
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
haven't seen that one!

Luv the Cream Stout
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:20 PM   #5
ILUVUK
en fuego
 
ILUVUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Davenport, IA
Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1
Posts: 2,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
always wanted to, but wasn't willing to part with the cash.
ILUVUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:20 PM   #6
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht View Post
holy cow ---25% alcohol - that's one strong beer!
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:22 PM   #7
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
yeah, that's one for a brandy snifter....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:24 PM   #8
BoSoxYacht
Banned
Thread Starter
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sam Adams says it retails for $150 a bottle(25 oz. I think), but Ive seen it go for over $500. The pub has 2 bottles that they got for $300 each.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:27 PM   #9
ILUVUK
en fuego
 
ILUVUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Davenport, IA
Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1
Posts: 2,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude View Post
holy cow ---25% alcohol - that's one strong beer!
yup...i believe it was barley john's brewpub in minnesota that brewed a beer with 27% ABV. never tried it though.

i've had dogfish head world wide stout at 23% ABV...it was good, but their 18% ABV version was significantly better...my opinion, of course.
ILUVUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:27 PM   #10
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beer is one of the oldest alcoholic beverage ever known, even the ancient Egyptians brewed beer. Beer is the most popular drink overall after water and tea.
Samuel Adam's Utopias world's most expensive beer which costs around $100 per bottle (24 oz) or about $65 per pint, sold in copper bottles resembling the copper brewing kettles, named after one of the founding fathers of the USA.
Samuel Adam's Utopias it is strongest beer in the world, the alcohol content is 25%. The process of making this beverage can take up to 12 years, giving it the unique and rich flavors.
The production of world's most expensive beer was limited to 8,000 bottles per year.


HOLY COW!!
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:27 PM   #11
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
okaaaaayyy.... not even a brandy snifter.
Don't think I'm gonna search that one out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:27 PM   #12
BoSoxYacht
Banned
Thread Starter
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude View Post
holy cow ---25% alcohol - that's one strong beer!
the 2007 release is 27% alcohol, and remember it's not distilled.

Last edited by BoSoxYacht; 03-04-09 at 02:35 PM.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:58 PM   #13
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique
 
UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht View Post
the 2007 release is 27% alcohol, and remember it's not distilled.
I've seen that in some beer mags. Supposed to be some incredible stuff. Traditionally, the higher the alcohol content, the higher the price. It goes back to how much effort is actually used to create a beer with higher than average content.

So what does "enjoyed it very much" translate to? For as much as they ask, it would have to be the best beer I've ever had. Also, what are some of your favorite beers, so we can get a comparison?
UnsafeAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 03:28 PM   #14
crackerjab
WTF is that smell?
 
crackerjab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like to call this stuff Barley Wine.
crackerjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 03:46 PM   #15
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i like sam adams, but there's no way in hell i'd pay more than $7 for it, let alone the prices that you claim that stuff goes for
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 04:00 PM   #16
crackerjab
WTF is that smell?
 
crackerjab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
i like sam adams, but there's no way in hell i'd pay more than $7 for it, let alone the prices that you claim that stuff goes for
This sparked a thought. I've always loved Sam Adams but stopped drinking it when it got too commercialized. So with that being said, I think my taste for beer changes due to availability, or at least partially so. So I think I would consider paying $100+ just to try it out. I've spent way more than that on Scotch and Tequila. Why not spend it on what I like to consider the nectar of life, beer.
crackerjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 04:06 PM   #17
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
i like sam adams, but there's no way in hell i'd pay more than $7 for it, let alone the prices that you claim that stuff goes for
'zackly....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 04:56 PM   #18
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Snohomish County, Washington USA
Bikes: Road, mountain and folding
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So this is essentially a barleywine. They don't sell it in Washington, but I have had other barleywines.
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 05:14 PM   #19
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not all that difficult to brew a beer with that high of a content. I routinely used to brew 15% - 18%, and I made one batch which was 23.5%

White Labs had a limited edition WLP099 extra high gravity yeast which was capable of 25% abv fermentation. The trick in working with a yeast like that is to keep it from overproducing at the initial introduction; if you don't, you'll brew a mid-alcohol (~10%) batch which tastes like bad bread because the yeast will overgrow and kill themselves off rapidly. (Poor temperature control will accomplish a similar reaction.)
I started a 2gal wort with a routine spec. gravity and added a standard 5gal inoculation of WLP099. (Use a headspace limiter or a CO2 purge to keep from oxidizing and killing the batch.) Mild agitation is suggested once daily to keep the culture in suspension until final volume is reached.
With each 7-10 day fermentation, I added 1 more gallon of wort with a high enough spec. gravity that the final total volume would be the routine starting spec. gravity for a batch. Do this until you have a full 5 gallon batch, let the final fermentation run out as normal. Decant to clean sterile container and dry hop for 30 additional days. Decant to bottling vessel, add bottling sugar and dispense.

Note: Use malts with low non-digestable sugar profiles or else you'll end up with beer flavoured syrup. It will also age horribly and the flavour profile will degrade as the beer ages, and eventually it's nothing more than highly potent vile smelling beer-ish dreck.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 05:18 PM   #20
crackerjab
WTF is that smell?
 
crackerjab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
It's not all that difficult to brew a beer with that high of a content. I routinely used to brew 15% - 18%, and I made one batch which was 23.5%

White Labs had a limited edition WLP099 extra high gravity yeast which was capable of 25% abv fermentation. The trick in working with a yeast like that is to keep it from overproducing at the initial introduction; if you don't, you'll brew a mid-alcohol (~10%) batch which tastes like bad bread because the yeast will overgrow and kill themselves off rapidly. (Poor temperature control will accomplish a similar reaction.)
I started a 2gal wort with a routine spec. gravity and added a standard 5gal inoculation of WLP099. (Use a headspace limiter or a CO2 purge to keep from oxidizing and killing the batch.) Mild agitation is suggested once daily to keep the culture in suspension until final volume is reached.
With each 7-10 day fermentation, I added 1 more gallon of wort with a high enough spec. gravity that the final total volume would be the routine starting spec. gravity for a batch. Do this until you have a full 5 gallon batch, let the final fermentation run out as normal. Decant to clean sterile container and dry hop for 30 additional days. Decant to bottling vessel, add bottling sugar and dispense.

Note: Use malts with low non-digestable sugar profiles or else you'll end up with beer flavoured syrup. It will also age horribly and the flavour profile will degrade as the beer ages, and eventually it's nothing more than highly potent vile smelling beer-ish dreck.
Anybody who knows this much about beer is my idol.
crackerjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:58 AM   #21
BoSoxYacht
Banned
Thread Starter
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
So this is essentially a barleywine. They don't sell it in Washington, but I have had other barleywines.
Incorrect
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 08:02 AM   #22
BoSoxYacht
Banned
Thread Starter
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjab View Post
This sparked a thought. I've always loved Sam Adams but stopped drinking it when it got too commercialized. So with that being said, I think my taste for beer changes due to availability, or at least partially so. So I think I would consider paying $100+ just to try it out. I've spent way more than that on Scotch and Tequila. Why not spend it on what I like to consider the nectar of life, beer.
a 2 ounce pour into a snifter is how this is served. I paid $20 for a glass of the stuff last time i saw it offered.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 09:51 AM   #23
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
I worked the Beer Advocate Extreme Beer Fest in Boston the year after this was introduced and managed to snag a couple samples. '02? '03? Somewhere around there...

It tastes a lot more like hard alcohol than a beer, and nothing at all like their triple bock. Very reminiscent of good scotch, but more mellow. It would be very appropriate to call it a liqueur, although it doesn't have quite the sticky, syrupy feeling to it that most liqueurs have, again in stark contrast to the SA Triple Bock. It has a very malty taste to it without being thick. Not much hop presence that I remember, which in my book is a good thing. I like Alt-style beers and this very much reminded me of the best of them. I also seem to remember a very oaky taste to it, brought on by cask conditioning in casks used for sherry(?) or some other wine/spirit, which only augmented the scotch-like taste.

Worth a taste. If I were doing it up right in some outrageous restaurant on someone else's dime or some extremely special once-a-year occasion, I'd go for a snifter of this over any other after-dinner type scotch or aperitif.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 11:53 AM   #24
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Snohomish County, Washington USA
Bikes: Road, mountain and folding
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht View Post
Incorrect
In terms of generally recognized beer nomenclature then, how would you describe this product, if not a barleywine?
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 12:34 PM   #25
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjab View Post
Anybody who knows this much about beer is my idol.
Thank you. I spent 6 years running industrial bacterial fermenters and bioreactors, and my schooling is a degree in Bio with an emphasis on microbiology and virology. I'd darned well better know how this stuff works! (Of course, learning about beer and the finicky flavouring processes was a new trial/error process.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
In terms of generally recognized beer nomenclature then, how would you describe this product, if not a barleywine?
Barleywine is a much lower alcohol content (typically below 15%) and consideribly higher IBU rating. Barleywines are a heavier spec. gravity and higher hop content than Utopias. Although there have been brews sold as barleywine which use eisbock freeze distillation to achieve higher content rating (IMO, this process removes it from the barleywine category.)
Utopias, because of the use of smoked malts, would maybe fall into the category of a stout but more likely be a heavy ale.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.