Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-09, 10:46 PM   #1
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
Thread Starter
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Old stuff you hang onto

About 20 years ago my ex wife's uncle passed away from cancer.

Before he passed, he told me that since I made my living with my hands, he wanted me to have his Snap-On toolbox...full of tools. The tools were simple and inexpensive for the most part, but I got good use out of everything and still have most of them. The box itself is very nice and is still used in my studio.

The one "tool" I never did have much use for, but never got rid of is his combat knife from the Korean conflict. It's a Camillus M4 bayonet for the M1 carbine with the fiberglass M8 scabbard. I guess it's a good thing I never found a use for it as it's only made for one thing....and I have yet been pressed to do that one thing.







I know there's some Foo experts out there that are much bigger cutlery buffs than I am, and my question is...what do I do with this thing? It seems to be in perfectly fine shape, though it could use some cleaning. What do I use to clean it? Would it ruin the value if I sharpened it and/or oiled it? Do I hang onto it to pass on to my kids as part of their heritage? Do I go out and buy an M1 carbine and join a reenactment group?

I'm not really interested in selling it as from what I gather, it's only worth about $100...unless I got some crazy offer or something. Just consider it an item of interest, though any more info shared would be appreciated.

So...what stuff have you hung onto for no real reason?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 10:57 PM   #2
Suzie Green
Cycler
 
Suzie Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Somewhere in the attic I have a lava lamp. Hubby threatens bodily harm if I go up there and dig it out. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend!
Suzie Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 11:11 PM   #3
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
Thread Starter
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lava lamp?

I have one on my nightstand.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 11:23 PM   #4
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)
Posts: 3,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any old things, since I'm not that old. However, the oldest thing that in my possession that I can think of is a picture of me when I was about six. I was scanning it to add it to my photos, but have yet to return it. I also have a little cross thing that my former girlfriend gave to me four years ago; still attached on my book-bag. Don't know why I'm holding on to that, but I never felt like taking it off.
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 11:24 PM   #5
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I used to hang onto my old kitty at nights. It was the only way I can sleep was to have him sleep on my neck.

But he's gone to Heaven.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 07:43 AM   #6
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
Thread Starter
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
I used to hang onto my old kitty at nights. It was the only way I can sleep was to have him sleep on my neck.

But he's gone to Heaven.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 08:12 AM   #7
Lamplight
Senior Member
 
Lamplight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While reading this thread, I've been drinking out of a souvenir cup I got at a gift shop on the Chesapeake Bay bridge when I was about eight years old. I use it literally every single day.
Lamplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 08:16 AM   #8
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
Thread Starter
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I can see hanging onto something useful and sentimental.

Have anything that you don't know why you hang onto it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 08:37 AM   #9
Hickeydog
Crushing souls
 
Hickeydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
Bikes: Trek 1500
Posts: 1,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sanity....it's in a shoe box under my bed. I don't know why I keep it. It's not like I'll ever use it.
Hickeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 10:16 AM   #10
jschen
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
Posts: 7,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first stuffed animal, Doggy, is about 26 years old. He is head stuffed animal emeritus, and gets to rest comfortably on my bed as long as there aren't two humans present. Thanks to reconstructive eye surgery over Christmas break, he now is in better shape than he ever had been in the past 15 years or so. He's been through a lot. He moved to the United States with me and got his name translated. When I was 5, I accidentally left him at Wellesley, and my parents grudgingly agreed to go back to look for him. (Happily, he was just sitting where I had last left him.) In high school, he kept in a zippered compartment my favorite love letter from my then-girlfriend. I left him at my parents' place when I went to college, but then eventually decided to bring him to college with me. One of my college friends questions his identity and thinks that he is a female bear. (Silly girl... who ever heard of a bear named Doggy? Of course he's a dog!)
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 10:34 AM   #11
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.
 
fuzzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wandering aimlessly.
Bikes: A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dad's stuffed animal bunny. It is really old and falling apart.
__________________

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
fuzzbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 11:09 AM   #12
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go ahead and dress up the edge and oil the blade, it'll preserve it. Leave it looking old, though, don't take the blade down to shiny metal, overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
About 20 years ago my ex wife's uncle passed away from cancer.

Before he passed, he told me that since I made my living with my hands, he wanted me to have his Snap-On toolbox...full of tools. The tools were simple and inexpensive for the most part, but I got good use out of everything and still have most of them. The box itself is very nice and is still used in my studio.

The one "tool" I never did have much use for, but never got rid of is his combat knife from the Korean conflict. It's a Camillus M4 bayonet for the M1 carbine with the fiberglass M8 scabbard. I guess it's a good thing I never found a use for it as it's only made for one thing....and I have yet been pressed to do that one thing.







I know there's some Foo experts out there that are much bigger cutlery buffs than I am, and my question is...what do I do with this thing? It seems to be in perfectly fine shape, though it could use some cleaning. What do I use to clean it? Would it ruin the value if I sharpened it and/or oiled it? Do I hang onto it to pass on to my kids as part of their heritage? Do I go out and buy an M1 carbine and join a reenactment group?

I'm not really interested in selling it as from what I gather, it's only worth about $100...unless I got some crazy offer or something. Just consider it an item of interest, though any more info shared would be appreciated.

So...what stuff have you hung onto for no real reason?
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 11:14 AM   #13
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Seems most people you meet are either the saver/hoarder types or the get rid of it types. I'm def. in the former group and have really put effort into getting rid of stuff I have no practical use for. My biggest problems were books, magazines and clippings. Take up lots of space.

Occasionally I'll regret getting rid of things with sentimental value but in the end I like the freedom from clutter. I know some people who have real issues with their stuff that they hang onto encroaching on their lives...of course in extreme cases (real honest to goodness pack rats) it can be really limiting and debilitating. Very sad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 11:24 AM   #14
rmwun54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Comic books.
rmwun54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 11:28 AM   #15
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
Thread Starter
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know what you mean pgoat.

My natural father was a real hoarder, had scads of old junk that we all saw no real purpose in...though he certainly did. I do my best to not hold onto anything I'm not using, but as a carpenter I have to retain (and keep organized) a certain amount of hardware, supplies and materials. I just do my best to go through it on occasion and cull it out.

The studio project is just that: an attempt on my part to organize all my tools, reference materials and parts down to just what I need. The knife is just one of those items I'm not sure what to do with.

Thanks Tom. I'll oil it up and do nothing beyond a little cleaning. I believe the blade is either blued or Parkerized, neither of which I am prepared to restore. Perhaps I'll find someone interested in it that's willing to trade for something I really do need.

Believe it or not, you folks with the stuffed animals are cool. I can see passing something like that down to your kids. Unfortunately I never formed an attachment to any of my toys...besides bikes that is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 11:48 AM   #16
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
I do my best to not hold onto anything I'm not using, but as a carpenter I have to retain (and keep organized) a certain amount of hardware, supplies and materials.
I'm sure many of us do just that with bike hardware, at least. It's saved me many times, fixing my bike and other people's, especially older bikes with odd sizes and threading.

And unfortunately, you just KNOW that if you do throw out that odd part after saving it for years and years, you will absolutely need it in the next week or so.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 12:21 PM   #17
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
For the love of God please oil that poor Camillus!!! It's steel, so it's prone to corrosion just like bike parts, and needs to be oiled. Steel wooling the rust would also be good.

As for what I hold onto, I like to keep stuff that belonged to my deceased relatives that I can use. I have a number of such tools from a better, vanished time when American products were among the finest ever built, and lots of people built them. I have Stanley tape measures that were made on contract in the 50's by the company my grandpa worked for. They are the size of the little yard long key chain kind, but they go to 8 feet, and they work extremely smoothly. Not bad for 50+ years old. I've got an especially nice 8" kitchen knife that belonged to my great grandfather.

I've also got some of my grandpa's other tools, including a few 1/4" SK and Snapon sockets, some primitive vice grips which were also made by his company, 54 year old channel locks, a really old sander that works great but could use a new cord, and a goofy wrench he turned into a crows foot by chopping and welding it.

Other odds and ends include my grandma's binoculars, my grandma's little cheap Taiwan made pen knife, which for sentimental reasons is my favorite knife, a family blanket from the UK, and a flag from the Spanish American war.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 12:54 PM   #18
Big_e
Strong with the Fred
 
Big_e's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dad's Gillette Superspeed razors. That's the best way for me to remember his face is when I remember his gentle instructing reflected in the mirror as I shaved for the first time.
Ernest

Big_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 01:08 PM   #19
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)
Posts: 3,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschen View Post
My first stuffed animal, Doggy, is about 26 years old. He is head stuffed animal emeritus, and gets to rest comfortably on my bed as long as there aren't two humans present. Thanks to reconstructive eye surgery over Christmas break, he now is in better shape than he ever had been in the past 15 years or so. He's been through a lot. He moved to the United States with me and got his name translated. When I was 5, I accidentally left him at Wellesley, and my parents grudgingly agreed to go back to look for him. (Happily, he was just sitting where I had last left him.) In high school, he kept in a zippered compartment my favorite love letter from my then-girlfriend. I left him at my parents' place when I went to college, but then eventually decided to bring him to college with me. One of my college friends questions his identity and thinks that he is a female bear. (Silly girl... who ever heard of a bear named Doggy? Of course he's a dog!)
I had a stuffed dalmatian named Jeffrey. Loved him like there was no tomorrow. I have no idea where he is, but he's probably with my other stuffed animals at home.
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 01:12 PM   #20
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Chipcom and Wordbiker. Should have banned them long ago, but I just keep hanging onto them.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 01:27 PM   #21
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_e View Post
My dad's Gillette Superspeed razors. That's the best way for me to remember his face is when I remember his gentle instructing reflected in the mirror as I shaved for the first time.
Ernest

Those are real nice Ernest! Is the one on the right all silver?

I used a black-handled model like the one on the left when I first started shaving. Still have my dad's old red tip. Like Michigander says, some stuff works incredibly well for being half a century old.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 02:07 PM   #22
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Angelo, TX
Bikes: Volae Team, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile
Posts: 1,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bikes
Bike parts
Jeans
Old plumbing bits that might be reusable
Pretty much anything else I think I might use some day

aaak, I've become my parents
downtube42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 02:36 PM   #23
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
Thread Starter
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
For the love of God please oil that poor Camillus!!! It's steel, so it's prone to corrosion just like bike parts, and needs to be oiled. Steel wooling the rust would also be good.
What kind of oil...gun oil? Motor oil? Will the oil harm or color the leather grip?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 02:49 PM   #24
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
What kind of oil...gun oil? Motor oil? Will the oil harm or color the leather grip?
Any of the above, or bike oil, or bearing grease. I from time to time have used cooking oil on metal. Probably not as good, but it will inhibit corrosion.

You don't have to get any on the leather if you're careful, but remember that petroleum based oil is actually used to treat leather boots, so it probably wouldn't hurt.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 02:57 PM   #25
c0urt
moving target
 
c0urt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: birmingham, al
Bikes: a masi speciale, and a kuota k-factor.
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have a unicycle from the mid 80's i rebuilt I ride from time to time.
dont really own anything that old, I move around too much
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 PM.