Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,591
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Is my laptop worth upgrading?

    I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. It has an Intel Celeron M 1.40 GHz processor and 760 MB ram. It can only be upgraded to 1280 MB of ram.

    The computer is extremely slow, it takes it about 30 seconds to open up Internet Explorer. I restord the computer to it's original settings a couple of weeks ago. It helped but it is still lacking in the performance department.

    I can upgrade to a new Dell for about $500 shipped thanks to one of their current specials. Should I just do that or would the memory upgrade perform miracles?
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  2. #2
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,159
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Just get the new computer, since that one is so obsolete, that it really isn't worth much more than hanging around as a backup.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #3
    Crushing souls Hickeydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get yourself a new computer. Look for one that has a Core 2 Duo, NOT a Pentium Dual Core. Also, don't worry about finding that has a ton of ram. It's cheaper to buy a computer with, like, 1 gig, and then spend $20 on Newegg and get a 4 gig kit. Just make sure the motherboard can support it before you buy it.

  4. #4
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RAM is probably the cheapest upgrade for a computer that actually gives it a noticeable performance boost. If you can get it cheap I'd try it out. But then, there's nothing like a new toy.

  5. #5
    Crushing souls Hickeydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmckenna View Post
    RAM is probably the cheapest upgrade for a computer that actually gives it a noticeable performance boost. If you can get it cheap I'd try it out. But then, there's nothing like a new toy.
    RAM isn't going to help out that Celeron M. Is probably bottlenecking because of either the low cache or the extremely low Front Side Bus (the link between the RAM and the CPU). Getting more RAM isn't going to help because the data can't get to the processor fast enough.

  6. #6
    Unique Vintage Steel cuda2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
    Posts
    11,487
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going from 760 to 1200mb RAM isn't going to give you the performance increase that you are looking for. If you have the $, get the new machine. Configure with the best processor, video, networking and screen that you can (or need). Hard drives and RAM are both cheap to upgrade down the road, and most companies like to charge big $$ for RAM especially compared to what you can get it for on Newegg.com and the like. Even the base HDD size is likely going to be bigger than what you have now unless you upgraded the old one either when purchased or since.
    [CENTER][URL="http://VeloBase.com"][IMG]http://velobase.com/App_Themes/VeloBase2_blue/Images/VeloBase2TitleCampagnolo.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://JonPFischer.com"][COLOR="#006400"]Fischer Photography[/COLOR][/URL] - [URL="http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/785462-My-new-modern-quot-Classic-quot-Kirk-JKS-Classic-Terraplane"][COLOR="#8b0000"]Kirk Frameworks JKS-Classic Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

  7. #7
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeah get the new machine.

  8. #8
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reformat...

  9. #9
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,591
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    Reformat...
    Already did.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  10. #10
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,591
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How does this look for $589? Anyone know of any better deals out there?

    Catalog Number: 29 DNDOZZ3
    Module Description Description Product Code & SKU Product Code & SKU
    INSPIRON 15 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.00GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache) MRT64HN [224-4527]
    Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1 32 Bit VHP31E [330-2240][420-6436][420-6576][420-7622][420-9100][420-9108][421-0323][421-0427][463-2282]
    System Color Jet Black BLK [313-7316]
    Memory 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz 3G2D [311-9623]
    LCD Panel Bright, glossy widescreen 15.6 WLED display (1366x768) XGALD [320-7445]
    Video Card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD INTAC [320-7990]
    Hard Drive 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) 320GB [341-8132]
    Network Integrated 10/100 Network Card INTNIC [467-0019]
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 ADOBER [410-1883]
    Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) 8XDVDRW [313-7112][420-8159][420-9170]
    Sound High Definition Audio 2.0 IS [313-4783]
    Wireless Networking Cards Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini Card IP5100 [430-3272]
    Integrated Web Cam No Webcam Option NCAM [320-7883]
    Productivity Microsoft Works IWRK9 [420-8051]
    Software - Antivirus McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days MC930D [410-1160]
    Battery Options 6-cell battery 6BAT [312-0827]
    Hardware Support Services 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis S1OS [412-0360][950-3337][950-9797][960-2780][992-4050][993-3247]
    Datasafe Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year DOB2GB [420-9518][988-0099][988-7707]
    Dial-Up Internet Access No ISP requested NISP [412-0148]
    PROCESSOR LABELS Intel® Centrino® Processor ICNSNB [330-0255]
    OS LABELS Windows Vista™ Premium VPN [310-8628]
    Dell Remote Access Dell Remote Access, free basic service DRAFB [420-9800][993-1919]


    Sub Total $589.00
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  11. #11
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
    Already did.
    Buy the new one

  12. #12
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy the new one...then send me the old one.

    I have an Inspiron 4100 that was as basic as they come. A friend gave it to me in exchange for some work...and also because it was slow. 800MHz Celeron, 128MB RAM, 30GB HDD, no Wi-Fi, etc... I found a 1.2GHZ Pentium M for $35, added all the RAM it could handle, Wi-Fi card for $20, 160GB faster drive, then reformatted it with TinyXP (a chopped down version of XP, my version specifically for laptops) and hacked the BIOS to make it think it's a Latitude to interface with the docking station. It performs like a champ as long as you don't ask too much of it. The purpose is a small portable PC for all my bicycle files (manuals, catalogs and ebooks) without being so expensive I wouldn't want to use it in a shop environment. At that task, it works with aplomb.

    If you want to upgrade, from what I've read it can take up to a 2.26GHz Pentium M (great processors and the true predecessor to the Core architecture), plus all the other bells and whistles.

    If you're set on the new rig...I may be interested in the 2200. I'm a bit cash poor right now, but I may have something to barter. LMK.
    Last edited by Wordbiker; 03-16-09 at 10:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  13. #13
    Crushing souls Hickeydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
    How does this look for $589? Anyone know of any better deals out there?

    Catalog Number: 29 DNDOZZ3
    Module Description Description Product Code & SKU Product Code & SKU
    INSPIRON 15 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.00GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache) MRT64HN [224-4527]
    Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1 32 Bit VHP31E [330-2240][420-6436][420-6576][420-7622][420-9100][420-9108][421-0323][421-0427][463-2282]
    System Color Jet Black BLK [313-7316]
    Memory 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz 3G2D [311-9623]
    LCD Panel Bright, glossy widescreen 15.6 WLED display (1366x768) XGALD [320-7445]
    Video Card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD INTAC [320-7990]
    Hard Drive 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) 320GB [341-8132]
    Network Integrated 10/100 Network Card INTNIC [467-0019]
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 ADOBER [410-1883]
    Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) 8XDVDRW [313-7112][420-8159][420-9170]
    Sound High Definition Audio 2.0 IS [313-4783]
    Wireless Networking Cards Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini Card IP5100 [430-3272]
    Integrated Web Cam No Webcam Option NCAM [320-7883]
    Productivity Microsoft Works IWRK9 [420-8051]
    Software - Antivirus McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days MC930D [410-1160]
    Battery Options 6-cell battery 6BAT [312-0827]
    Hardware Support Services 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis S1OS [412-0360][950-3337][950-9797][960-2780][992-4050][993-3247]
    Datasafe Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year DOB2GB [420-9518][988-0099][988-7707]
    Dial-Up Internet Access No ISP requested NISP [412-0148]
    PROCESSOR LABELS Intel® Centrino® Processor ICNSNB [330-0255]
    OS LABELS Windows Vista™ Premium VPN [310-8628]
    Dell Remote Access Dell Remote Access, free basic service DRAFB [420-9800][993-1919]


    Sub Total $589.00
    Looks good. First thing you want to do when you get the machine is borrow a Vista DVD and completely wipe the hard drive. Use the key code on the back of the laptop to activate it. This will ensure that all that software **** they pre-install is gone permanently.

  14. #14
    Senior Member MrCrassic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)
    Posts
    3,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
    I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. It has an Intel Celeron M 1.40 GHz processor and 760 MB ram. It can only be upgraded to 1280 MB of ram.

    The computer is extremely slow, it takes it about 30 seconds to open up Internet Explorer. I restord the computer to it's original settings a couple of weeks ago. It helped but it is still lacking in the performance department.

    I can upgrade to a new Dell for about $500 shipped thanks to one of their current specials. Should I just do that or would the memory upgrade perform miracles?
    Sorry; I re-reread the post and saw what you did to optimize it.

    When did it start to become slow? The Celeron M is not a quick processor, but it's also not that slow. Was it always slow to you?

    Keep in mind that the factory settings provided by the machine can significantly slow things down, as well as a bulky background program, like an antivirus or a desktop search engine.
    Last edited by MrCrassic; 03-16-09 at 11:44 AM.
    Ride more.

    Code:
    $ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
     $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces

  15. #15
    Senior Member MrCrassic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)
    Posts
    3,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
    RAM isn't going to help out that Celeron M. Is probably bottlenecking because of either the low cache or the extremely low Front Side Bus (the link between the RAM and the CPU). Getting more RAM isn't going to help because the data can't get to the processor fast enough.
    While that's true, considering programs/events that may have slowed down the computer over time is a good step in determining why it's slow in the first place. If it was slow from the beginning, then that would be a different matter. It could also be another hardware issue, such as the hard drive or memory beginning to fail, etc.

    Having more memory always benefits an operating system, since it decreases the OS's dependence on the hard disk for swap space. Also, opening IE is not very processor-intensive, though browsing the web might be.
    Ride more.

    Code:
    $ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
     $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces

  16. #16
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,591
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure when it became slow. It probably had not been used over 100 hours since it was purchased a few years ago. I recently started using it when I was stuck at home after my surgery. I couldn't go upstairs to use my desktop so I played around on the laptop downstairs while I was stuck on the couch. It was pretty slow when I first started using it on a regular basis about a month ago.

    Now that I have gotten used to the convenience of using the laptop I am hooked. However, I do not like having to constantly wait for a browser window to open. If I try multitasking it is hopeless. I spend more time waiting than I do working.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on a new laptop. Yes, you can upgrade the old one, but why spend money on something that is already dated when you can buy a new one for a good price? Yes, memory will help, but you are still running on a rather old chip.

    The advantage of a dual core is that the usual antivirus stuff can happily rail one core checking stuff while you have another core available for your applications, so your stuff is more responsive in general.

  18. #18
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,591
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is the "Bright, glossy widescreen LED upgrade" a good upgrade or unnecesary?
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  19. #19
    Crushing souls Hickeydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
    Is the "Bright, glossy widescreen LED upgrade" a good upgrade or unnecesary?
    no
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post

    What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.

  20. #20
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,591
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up not going with that laptop though. It was very tempting but I decided to save a little money. The new dell was going to be about $640 shipped. Considering that I will just be using it for surfing the web and a little photoshop I think I can get by with a cheaper one. I went with a scratch and dent dell laptop. From the reviews that I have found their scratch and dents are in very good condition. For about $450 shipped it seems like a pretty good deal.

    I just have one question, can I upgrade the wireless card pretty easily?

    Here is what I ordered.

    Studio 15 - 1535
    (System Identifier: Z2TEP6TF)
    Studio 15 (1535) Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 (2.00GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
    System Price : $429.00
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Operating System
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Memory
    2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hard Disk Drive
    250 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Video
    Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scratch & Dent
    Scratch & Dent
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Media Bay
    8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Base
    Studio 15 (1535) Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 (2.00GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Web Camera
    Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Network Interface Card
    Dell 1397 802.11B/G Wireless Mini Card
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hardware Upgrade
    6 Cell Primary Battery
    No Fingerprint Reader
    125V Power Cord
    65W AC Adapter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    System Color
    Jet Black
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Software Upgrade
    Microsoft Works 9.0
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laptop Screen
    15.4 WXGA Laptop Screen Display with TrueLife
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  21. #21
    T-Shirt Guy ehidle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put an SLC SSD in it and it will do wonders. The slowest component of any laptop is the hard disk. I have a Core2 Duo laptop at work and it is about as slow as yours is. You aren't going to see a noticeable improvement if you buy a new laptop. I just sold 3 laptops to one of my customers and was amazed at how slow these multi-core laptops are.

    Two of them were dual-core intels and one was a single core AMD. All three ran Vista, and all three had nearly identical boot times.
    Yellow + Blue Jerseys!

    Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
    Men's
    and Women's designs available

  22. #22
    Bring May Flowers aprilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Soon to be South Carolina!
    My Bikes
    '10 Kuota Kebel
    Posts
    961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a laptop with specs similar to yours, and I tossed around the idea of buying a new one. But, I'm cheap, and I've had my laptop for a long time (almost four years!), so I'm not ready to give up on her yet. I reformatted it, added 1GB of memory, and it works great. The memory was definitely a bottleneck, as I was using programs like Adobe Photoshop on it. With that much more memory, Photoshop loads up much faster. The computer still isn't that fast, but I'd rather pay $30 than $500 minimum.

  23. #23
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,591
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just called Dell to check on memory. I usually buy from crucial but decided to give dell a chance. Crucial wanted $52 for 4 gig. Dell is selling it for $41 for 4 gig. Hard to believe, especially since to upgrade they charge $50 a gig.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  24. #24
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
    Just called Dell to check on memory. I usually buy from crucial but decided to give dell a chance. Crucial wanted $52 for 4 gig. Dell is selling it for $41 for 4 gig. Hard to believe, especially since to upgrade they charge $50 a gig.
    That is hard to believe. Still not the best price, but with shipping it may even out.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE

  25. #25
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,591
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually Dell gave me free shipping on the memory.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •