Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Why do otherwise civilized people enjoy mountain Biking? (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/532375-why-do-otherwise-civilized-people-enjoy-mountain-biking.html)

jgt_madone_newb 04-18-09 05:06 PM

Why do otherwise civilized people enjoy mountain Biking?
 
Technically, an actual cycling question, but it seems like the foo mindset might be required to answer this query.

I don't get it. I bought an inexpensive mountain bike to be my "it rained all night, I don't want to get my good bikes dirty" bike. Also good for limestone rails-to-trails rides, the legendary Thursday night taco ride on the gravel trail near here. Stuff like that. It rained last night and most of this morning, and I decided I'd rather get some exercise rather than a nice afternoon nap. so I took it out for a spin. On the paved trail, compared to road bike, its kind of like driving a bus. On some pretty muddy singletrack, its kind of like driving a bus in the mud.

It's officially no longer new, and won't get parked in the house anymore:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...IMG_0192_2.jpg

That goo right there at the bottom bracket is part of an earthworm who apparently impaled itself on the crank, and the remains got flung on to the frame:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...n/IMG_0189.jpg

This would be where my leg hit the tree, which did a nice job of preventing any damage to the bike:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...n/IMG_0195.jpg

What I can't figure out - for some bizarre reason, while hurtling down this trail at what was in retrospect too high a speed (hence the whole leg vs. tree scenario), I seemed to have been laughing like a demented 12 year old the whole time, which unfortunately can leave your teeth speckled with mud, just like the frame of the bike.

I usually like to consider myself a pretty classy guy. I don't even like camping. Why I am I really thinking about doing this again tomorrow?

Hickeydog 04-18-09 05:13 PM

Because cycling is like drugs. You can never get enough of it.

Wordbiker 04-18-09 05:17 PM

Civilized = OCD?

I'm just surprised it took you this long to realize. Now, if you can explain to me how sharing pavement with Mack trucks can be fun...we'd be even. ;)

coasting 04-18-09 05:19 PM

my mountain bike sits in a dark shed unloved

jgt_madone_newb 04-18-09 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wordbiker (Post 8755992)
Civilized = OCD?

I'm just surprised it took you this long to realize. Now, if you can explain to me how sharing pavement with Mack trucks can be fun...we'd be even. ;)

Well, just because I tend towards the "neat and tidy" doesn't necessarily make that the definition of "civilized", but, hey, it works for me:D

The whole "Mack Truck" thing certainly adds a vivid realization of your own mortality. In my particular case, I live on the far edge of a metropolitan area, where luckily I can ride for about half an hour, and literally be in the absolute middle of nowhere, where the Macks are few and far between. There's a lot more danger of getting double flatted and being stuck somewhere where you might not see another human being for a couple of hours.

I guess the big lesson is there are a lot of different ways to get your jollies on a bike, and they're probably all pretty cool in their own way. Before I got this bike, the last "mountain bike" I had was a mid-90's Specialized Hard Rock, back when a "hard tail" was also a "hard nose". It wasn't that heavy, the tires weren't THAT wide, and no suspension at all. By comparison, getting on this Fisher, coming from a road bike, it felt like one of those big honking Surly's with the ginormous studded tires, like they ride in Alaska. Riding on an asphalt trail, it was like :eek: what the heck am I doing? :eek: The gearing was all wrong, the big lumpy tires were whining like snow tires, and I could barely keep up with the housewives on their hybrids. But getting off in the slop for a while, it all started to make some sense, and all the mud flying around, and worms sacrificing themselves for the cause, and rabbits and deer and what not. It was FREAKING COOL. :thumb:

Won't be riding this behemoth on pavement very often though, that's for sure.

USAZorro 04-18-09 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coasting (Post 8756001)
my mountain bike sits in a dark shed unloved

:thumb:

But after the ordeal of riding a Magna, full suspension MTB the entire length of the C & O canal five summers ago, I learned far beyond the point of someone being able to persuade me otherwise, that mountain bikes with suspensions are for the birds. I have a rigid MTB, which is plenty for the kind of riding that a sane person would attempt to engage in.

Wordbiker. There's a whole world outside of Colorado. A world where there are roads that don't go nowhere, and which also are not traveled by heavy trucks. Between the road system in your area, and the blasted goathead thorns, I would also be very unenthusiastic about road biking.

patentcad 04-18-09 07:30 PM

I like riding my MTB once weekly in the warmer weather.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...Bnofenders.jpg

Always use condoms however.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...d/WBcondom.jpg

jgt_madone_newb 04-18-09 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 8756615)
I like riding my MTB once weekly in the warmer weather.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...Bnofenders.jpg

Always use condoms however.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...d/WBcondom.jpg

Where's your baggy shorts? Oakley jersey? Bag of ganga?

mirona 04-18-09 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 8756615)
I like riding my MTB once weekly in the warmer weather.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...Bnofenders.jpg

You need friends so they can take pictures for ya. They look less awkward that way. Wait, look who I'm talking to...

Wordbiker 04-18-09 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgt_madone_newb (Post 8756406)
By comparison, getting on this Fisher, coming from a road bike, it felt like one of those big honking Surly's with the ginormous studded tires, like they ride in Alaska.

I have a Pugsley too. :D

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...y/PB180125.jpg

jgt_madone_newb 04-18-09 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wordbiker (Post 8756722)

I couldn't even imagine what that beast must be like to ride :eek: It looks like a small motorcycle.

Wordbiker 04-18-09 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgt_madone_newb (Post 8756735)
I couldn't even imagine what that beast must be like to ride :eek: It looks like a small motorcycle.

The best description for it is "uncivilized". ;)

caelric 04-18-09 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgt_madone_newb (Post 8755939)
What I can't figure out - for some bizarre reason, while hurtling down this trail at what was in retrospect too high a speed (hence the whole leg vs. tree scenario), I seemed to have been laughing like a demented 12 year old the whole time, which unfortunately can leave your teeth speckled with mud, just like the frame of the bike.

I usually like to consider myself a pretty classy guy. I don't even like camping. Why I am I really thinking about doing this again tomorrow?

I think you just answered your own question...

Seriously, I started MTB'ing so I would have something different to do on the weekends as a change of pace from the daily road rides. MTB'ing has become a blast, and I've even done an XTERRA. I ride an inexpensive used hardtail, and I love it. Sure my road and tri bikes are fun too, and I still ride them hard, but it's certainly a different type of riding. Nothing gets my heart revving and my 12 year old happiness going like a good solid MTB ride filled with XC, climbing, downhill and some jumps thrown in for even more fun.

Wordbiker 04-18-09 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 8756563)
:thumb:

But after the ordeal of riding a Magna, full suspension MTB the entire length of the C & O canal five summers ago, I learned far beyond the point of someone being able to persuade me otherwise, that mountain bikes with suspensions are for the birds. I have a rigid MTB, which is plenty for the kind of riding that a sane person would attempt to engage in.

No, you learned that a crappy "full suspension" bike isn't worth the metal they wasted making it. Do yourself a favor however and don't go ride a well designed full suspension bike: It'll make you a better rider and you'll have to buy one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 8756563)
Wordbiker. There's a whole world outside of Colorado. A world where there are roads that don't go nowhere, and which also are not traveled by heavy trucks. Between the road system in your area, and the blasted goathead thorns, I would also be very unenthusiastic about road biking.

Believe me, I know. I had a road bike back in the late 70's in CA. Once MTBs hit the scene...I had a new love and didn't own a road bike until recently when one was given to me. I've ridden it on the highway (my only option to get to town) and can't say that "fun" ever entered my mind. Give me the challenge of a trail any day over wondering whether texting, coffee-drinking, stereo-blasting, rubbernecking-the-wildlife drivers consider my life worth 1/8 turn of their steering wheels.

patentcad 04-18-09 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirona (Post 8756691)
You need friends so they can take pictures for ya. They look less awkward that way. Wait, look who I'm talking to...

You can bust my balls after you find your pants.

USAZorro 04-18-09 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wordbiker (Post 8756833)
No, you learned that a crappy "full suspension" bike isn't worth the metal they wasted making it. Do yourself a favor however and don't go ride a well designed full suspension bike: It'll make you a better rider and you'll have to buy one....

I know it was a crap bike - but it helped remind me of how much I enjoyed riding on quiet, uncrowded roads (which abound here). I'm able to do any off-road riding that I'm inclined to do on my 14 year old Trek 830. I can almost stand riding that bike on the road. I'll leave the body armor to people who don't care if they break bones. :p

Wordbiker 04-18-09 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 8757047)
I'll leave the body armor to people who don't care if they break bones. :p

Ummm...body armor is so you don't break bones.

I know, I wore a full suit when racing DH. I'd fall and laugh because I wasn't hurt. I've also never broken a bone while mountain biking, but I do have a scar on my shoulder from crashing on pavement. Go figure.

USAZorro 04-18-09 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wordbiker (Post 8757362)
Ummm...body armor is so you don't break bones.

I know, I wore a full suit when racing DH. I'd fall and laugh because I wasn't hurt. I've also never broken a bone while mountain biking, but I do have a scar on my shoulder from crashing on pavement. Go figure.

Armor is so medieval. :lol:

We got a good look at professional downhillers making practice runs at Mount Ste Anne's two Junes ago from the gondola. No freakin' way I'm doing that.

skiahh 04-18-09 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igt_madone_newb
Why do otherwise civilized people enjoy mountain Biking?
....
I usually like to consider myself a pretty classy guy. I don't even like camping. Why I am I really thinking about doing this again tomorrow?

Am I the only one here who sees the slam to the entire mountain biking community here? You have to be something less than civilized to enjoy mountain biking?

Though you enjoyed it, I'm thinking you're not as classy as you think you are since you felt the need to dis a whole class of fellow bikers.

USAZorro 04-18-09 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiahh (Post 8757451)
Am I the only one here who sees the slam to the entire mountain biking community here? You have to be something less than civilized to enjoy mountain biking?

Though you enjoyed it, I'm thinking you're not as classy as you think you are since you felt the need to dis a whole class of fellow bikers.

Nah. I think he sees it as a surprise that someone who thought it wasn't going to be to his liking, actually enjoyed it. An veritable epiphany if you will.

Wordbiker 04-18-09 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 8757467)
Nah. I think he sees it as a surprise that someone who thought it wasn't going to be to his liking, actually enjoyed it. An veritable epiphany if you will.

That and he got dirty. It made him feel naughty...in the good way.

The downside is the trail damage just perpetrated. No worries, some dope-smoking trailbuilders will fix it. :rolleyes:

Lamplight 04-19-09 07:46 AM

I enjoy riding off road, but not in mud. :notamused: Of course there's no "real" mountain biking close to me, since the nearest actual trail is about 30 miles away, so I never do that kind of off road riding. For me it usually consists of cutting through fields, ditches, woods, or construction sites while I'm commuting or running errands around town. This also means I'm almost always on my Long Haul Trucker instead of a MTB when riding off road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wordbiker (Post 8755992)
Now, if you can explain to me how sharing pavement with Mack trucks can be fun...we'd be even. ;)

It's not fun, it just sucks a little less than driving. :D

AEO 04-19-09 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 8756615)

my diaphragm bottle
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ikes/zefal.jpg

Michigander 04-19-09 07:55 AM

I think mountain biking is one of the most uppity, or "civilized" things that people do in the woods or desert. It's all about having a bunch of fancy equipment, and I've noticed that a lot of mountain bikers get freaked out easily by hunters or target shooters.

I love riding mountain bikes, but I don't think many people here consider me overly civilized.

jgt_madone_newb 04-19-09 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiahh (Post 8757451)
Am I the only one here who sees the slam to the entire mountain biking community here? You have to be something less than civilized to enjoy mountain biking?

Though you enjoyed it, I'm thinking you're not as classy as you think you are since you felt the need to dis a whole class of fellow bikers.

Well, I really haven't ever thought of myself as overly cultured. I don't read classical literature as much as I should, I've never been to the opera, Tommy Boy is my favorite movie.

I Really wasn't trying to slam anybody. Just making an observation, from the viewpoint of someone who's taken a fair amount of good natured kidding about being an uppity road bike guy, and a little OCP about the sometimes pristine treatment road bikes get, and how its completely the opposite of a different form of the same sport where getting dirty is unavoidable, if not the actual goal, and how they are both a lot of fun.

And yeah, if you have to stop at the gas station on the way home, and you're standing there with mud splatters all over you, maybe bleeding in a spot or two, worms dripping off your bike, folks don't necessarily assume you're on your way home from tea with the queen. My original point wasn't that having tea with the queen would make me superior to somebody out riding their bike, it was that I tried something new, and different from my usual riding style, and I really enjoyed it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 AM.