Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 1847
  1. #251
    Barbieri Telefonico huhenio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    3,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giving Haircuts Over The Phone

  2. #252
    Crushing souls Hickeydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huhenio View Post
    If you don't resemble a power ranger or Darth Vader, you are doing it wrong.
    Like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post

    What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.

  3. #253
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,994
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    All the gear all the time.

    The alternative is the road taking its pound of flesh from your face and body:

    I wear a full face helmet. Jeans at least. Always. Leather jacket and nylon ballistic riding pants when it's not over 80.

    I subscribe to the 'you only get one chance to crash and it may be your last' school of motorcycling. I don't plan on surviving a crash, so I try not to crash.

  4. #254
    Barbieri Telefonico huhenio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    3,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
    Like this?

    Loose the cape and you are fine.
    Giving Haircuts Over The Phone

  5. #255
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    I wear a full face helmet. Jeans at least. Always. Leather jacket and nylon ballistic riding pants when it's not over 80.

    I subscribe to the 'you only get one chance to crash and it may be your last' school of motorcycling. I don't plan on surviving a crash, so I try not to crash.
    Do you believe the "had to lay it down" guys ?

  6. #256
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,994
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
    Do you believe the "had to lay it down" guys ?
    Yes. I believe if you 'have to lay it down' you wind up here:



    I try to ride bearing this likelihood in mind.

  7. #257
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,994
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huhenio View Post

    A little rain does not get you really wet.
    I've ridden the ST in torrential downpours. Once you start going over 40 mph, the rain becomes horizontal and the front fairing/windscreen keeps you amazingly dry.

  8. #258
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Yes. I believe if you 'have to lay it down' you wind up here:

    [IMG]http://farm1.static.flic
    502149420_ddbcc6824a.jpg?v=0[/IMG]

    I try to ride bearing this likelihood in mind.
    Ive crashed on the road twice. Basically, it happens so fast you dont
    have a choice in anything. You're riding. You're on the ground, bike
    40' away......Mine were at only 35mph or so, and unmotorcycley enuff,
    it wasnt "THE F&%^$ %%$ CAGERS FAULT"........ All me

  9. #259
    Barbieri Telefonico huhenio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    3,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    I've ridden the ST in torrential downpours. Once you start going over 40 mph, the rain becomes horizontal and the front fairing/windscreen keeps you amazingly dry.
    And then you stop
    Giving Haircuts Over The Phone

  10. #260
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,994
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huhenio View Post
    And then you stop
    You have to be an idiot to ride a motorcycle in the first place. You have to be a certifiably insane idiot to ride in the pouring rain.

    Sometimes it's unavoidable.

  11. #261
    crazy bike girl msincredible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz mountains
    My Bikes
    '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)
    Posts
    3,319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    You have to be an idiot to ride a motorcycle in the first place. You have to be a certifiably insane idiot to ride in the pouring rain.

    Sometimes it's unavoidable.
    I commute on the moto in the pouring rain, in the fog, in the dark, etc. Where's my certificate?
    Countries I've ridden in: US, Canada, Ireland, UK, Germany, Netherlands, France, China, Singapore, Malaysia
    States I've ridden in: Illinois, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, California, Nevada, Missouri, Colorado

  12. #262
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,994
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msincredible View Post
    I commute on the moto in the pouring rain, in the fog, in the dark, etc. Where's my certificate?
    In motorcycling, you don't want one. It generally looks like this:


  13. #263
    175mm crank of love RichinPeoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,365
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Quote Originally Posted by huhenio View Post
    Your beemer sucks

    Bring it to the shop for disposal.

    THIS time only offer ... free.

    I sold it to a guy who lived in Manhattan 5+ years ago.
    Have a good day and htfu you big baby, Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    So I step away from BF for a day and this thread takes a nose dive! .....
    The only good bit is RichPeoria's yummy food pics again! Congratulations Rich; you are a king amongst fools

  14. #264
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msincredible View Post
    I commute on the moto in the pouring rain, in the fog, in the dark, etc. Where's my certificate?
    If you stop to put on yer helmet and shoes its OK. Not too bad.

  15. #265
    Argh!someness Village Idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shepherdsturd, WV
    My Bikes
    GF Cobia
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've totalled one bike an walked away with just a twisted ankle. Crashing isn't inherently dangerous, it's the obstacles in your way that tend to kill you.
    I suck at pedaling but man can I coast.

  16. #266
    crazy bike girl msincredible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz mountains
    My Bikes
    '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)
    Posts
    3,319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
    If you stop to put on yer helmet and shoes its OK. Not too bad.


    I have waterproof textile gear and a heated jacket liner and heated grips so I'm usually reasonably comfortable (my gloves and neck scarf are the only non-waterproof bits on me).

    The main issues are visibility and all the crap (tree branches, rock slides, etc) that gets knocked onto the road.

    Oh, and drizzle makes tar snakes super slippery.
    Countries I've ridden in: US, Canada, Ireland, UK, Germany, Netherlands, France, China, Singapore, Malaysia
    States I've ridden in: Illinois, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, California, Nevada, Missouri, Colorado

  17. #267
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,994
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msincredible View Post

    Oh, and drizzle makes tar snakes super slippery.
    And the painted lines too.

    I feel much safer on wet roads on the ST with the big triple ABS disc brakes than on my racing bicycle with the crappy rim brakes and the 3 square mm of tire contact patch.

  18. #268
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    I've totalled one bike an walked away with just a twisted ankle. Crashing isn't inherently dangerous, it's the obstacles in your way that tend to kill you.

    Both times I crashed, What hurt the most, relatively speaking, was my back !
    I was so pumped with adrenaline that when I came to and got my wits together
    I picked up the bike wrong. Instead of backing up to it, I bent over and
    yanked it up to get it off the road and out of the puddle of gas. Both
    were Harleys, so it was some serious heft, but at the time, they felt as
    light as bicycles.
    Last edited by -=(8)=-; 06-02-09 at 08:21 AM.

  19. #269
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    And the painted lines too.

    I feel much safer on wet roads on the ST with the big triple ABS disc brakes than on my racing bicycle with the crappy rim brakes and the 3 square mm of tire contact patch.
    Toll Booths... The worst !!! Very dangerous !!!!!
    The same goes for regions that have lots of heating oil trucks.
    They leave a big sploodge spot on the road at each house.
    Oil and rubber. Not a good recipe for traction or staying uprite

  20. #270
    Argh!someness Village Idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shepherdsturd, WV
    My Bikes
    GF Cobia
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rain isn't as dangerous as most people think. I was at an event that Buell used to sponsor which is like autocross for bikes and it was raining out. I figured they were going to cancel it but I trucked up there anyways. When I first got there, some of these guys were scraping pegs in the rain. After riding the course for about 2-3 times, I got comfortable and was getting just as low.

    That was probably one of the best things I've ever done to help with my skills as a rider.
    I suck at pedaling but man can I coast.

  21. #271
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    Rain isn't as dangerous as most people think. I was at an event that Buell used to sponsor which is like autocross for bikes and it was raining out. I figured they were going to cancel it but I trucked up there anyways. When I first got there, some of these guys were scraping pegs in the rain. After riding the course for about 2-3 times, I got comfortable and was getting just as low.

    That was probably one of the best things I've ever done to help with my skills as a rider.
    Do you know the BadWeatherBikers site

    I love Buells !!!

    I think riding dirt did it for me...I grew up a dirtball and then competed later.
    Nothing hones bike skills like dirt time. !! Mud / rocks / water and lots and lots
    of falling !! A big difference is use of brakes....in off-road situations you
    try to avoid using your brakes and rely on WFO and fate to get you through/over
    bad stuff

  22. #272
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V-twins.

  23. #273
    Argh!someness Village Idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shepherdsturd, WV
    My Bikes
    GF Cobia
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate the new buells. The last one I liked was the 1200cc lighting. When they changed them up and dropped the engine size, they lost their balls. It went from being able to bring the front wheel up at 4k rpm to not being able to at all. Maybe the new ones with the rotax engines are better.
    I suck at pedaling but man can I coast.

  24. #274
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,994
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    V-twins.
    Those motors seem awfully antiquated and chuggy compared to the civilized horizontally opposed smoother-than-silk 4 on the ST. But then the whole sound of the motorcycle loud pipes Harley thing does nothing for me at all, and I know many m/c dudes love all that. I just like to ride, and I like to do it without a sore back and without the busted eardrums if at all possible.

  25. #275
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Those motors seem awfully antiquated and chuggy compared to the civilized horizontally opposed smoother-than-silk 4 on the ST. But then the whole sound of the motorcycle loud pipes Harley thing does nothing for me at all, and I know many m/c dudes love all that. I just like to ride, and I like to do it without a sore back and without the busted eardrums if at all possible.
    Not everyone wants a boring 4 cylinder. Or even that torquey GL 6 cylinder. I have two v-twins. One is smooth, quiet, and rather boring. The other is louder, rougher, but more powerful. After having the Goldwing, I enjoy a motorcycle that feels like a motorcycle, not a two-wheeled Escalade. And my girlfriend prefers the Harley too.

Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •