Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-09, 07:18 AM   #376
Village Idiot
Argh!someness
 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shepherdsturd, WV
Bikes: GF Cobia
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
I do love motorcycling, even though my riding is light by any serious biker standard. Nothing like it at all. I'll probably have a bike until I'm too old to ride them.
Your statements are contradictory. You assume you're safer making many smaller trips, but inactuality, the riding you're doing is probably putting you at a much greater risk. If you're riding 100 miles on the interstate, you're going with the flow of traffic and there's a great deal less access points and directions and varying speeds at which traffic can come at you.

Around town is much more dangerouse with side streets, intersections, peoples, dogs, obstacles, etc.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 07:40 AM   #377
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master
 
Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I hate the new buells. The last one I liked was the 1200cc lighting. When they changed them up and dropped the engine size, they lost their balls. It went from being able to bring the front wheel up at 4k rpm to not being able to at all. Maybe the new ones with the rotax engines are better.
uhhh... WHAT?
they still make a 1203cc lightning. alongside the 984cc lightning. now they have an 1125cc water cooled beast that WILL bring the front wheel up at 4k.
what the eff are you talking about "lost their balls"?

14,000 miles in 5 years? i put a little over 12k on my bike in one year. you need to ride more, pcad. : ]
Darth_Firebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 08:26 AM   #378
Village Idiot
Argh!someness
 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shepherdsturd, WV
Bikes: GF Cobia
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt View Post
uhhh... WHAT?
they still make a 1203cc lightning. alongside the 984cc lightning. now they have an 1125cc water cooled beast that WILL bring the front wheel up at 4k.
what the eff are you talking about "lost their balls"?

14,000 miles in 5 years? i put a little over 12k on my bike in one year. you need to ride more, pcad. : ]
That's the one with the Rotax egine that I haven't ridden. The 1200cc Harley clunker that was powering them previously wasn't impressive at all after the redesign from old original 1200cc lightnings. Rotax is the company that makes engines for Aprilia, iirc. It's a huge step for Buell actually getting a company that does performance to produce the powerplant than to keep on with what they were doing. I mean, the only other Harley product that has a killer engine is the V-rod and that was designed with help from Porshe.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 08:32 AM   #379
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Your statements are contradictory. You assume you're safer making many smaller trips, but inactuality, the riding you're doing is probably putting you at a much greater risk. If you're riding 100 miles on the interstate, you're going with the flow of traffic and there's a great deal less access points and directions and varying speeds at which traffic can come at you.

Around town is much more dangerouse with side streets, intersections, peoples, dogs, obstacles, etc.
Around the lake, I rarely see more than one car. Mostly cows and deer. Bees are the biggest hazard.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 08:36 AM   #380
patentcad
Peloton Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt View Post
i put a little over 12k on my bike in one year. you need to ride more, pcad. : ]
Why was your car broken?

How many miles did you put on your road bicycles last year?
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 08:38 AM   #381
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master
 
Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
That's the one with the Rotax egine that I haven't ridden. The 1200cc Harley clunker that was powering them previously wasn't impressive at all after the redesign from old original 1200cc lightnings. Rotax is the company that makes engines for Aprilia, iirc. It's a huge step for Buell actually getting a company that does performance to produce the powerplant than to keep on with what they were doing. I mean, the only other Harley product that has a killer engine is the V-rod and that was designed with help from Porshe.
are you serious? 103hp and 84 ft/lbs from a 73 cubic inch air-cooled push rod engine isn't impressive?
maybe you could enlighten me with what the non-thunderstorm engines were producing?
Darth_Firebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 08:42 AM   #382
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master
 
Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
Why was your car broken?

How many miles did you put on your road bicycles last year?
no, my car wasn't broken (although i did lose my keys for about a week...). i put about 15,000 on it in the same year.
and i was too busy riding my motorcycle to bicycle more than about 5,000 on my MTB with slicks.
Darth_Firebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 08:46 AM   #383
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I didn't have a girlfriend, I could easily put more miles on my motorcycle than on my car each year.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 08:48 AM   #384
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master
 
Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If I didn't have a girlfriend, I could easily put more miles on my motorcycle than on my car each year.
i think that's why i ride so much.
Darth_Firebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 08:51 AM   #385
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt View Post
i think that's why i ride so much.
A double-edged sword...
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:00 AM   #386
Village Idiot
Argh!someness
 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shepherdsturd, WV
Bikes: GF Cobia
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt View Post
are you serious? 103hp and 84 ft/lbs from a 73 cubic inch air-cooled push rod engine isn't impressive?
maybe you could enlighten me with what the non-thunderstorm engines were producing?
Not that the numbers aren't impressive, it's the power delivery that was not exciting. I would twist the throttle wide open and would be left waiting for the burst of speed that never came, as opposed to the RC-51 that I owned where I would twist the throttle wide open and be a warp 10 immediately and all the way to red line where it would keep pulling, even if the soft limiter was removed.

It's stock number are something like 127/77, but that's motor and not wheel. I think most people were dynoing 120-123ish and 67-72 ft/lbs depending on the bike.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:17 AM   #387
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master
 
Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Not that the numbers aren't impressive, it's the power delivery that was not exciting. I would twist the throttle wide open and would be left waiting for the burst of speed that never came, as opposed to the RC-51 that I owned where I would twist the throttle wide open and be a warp 10 immediately and all the way to red line where it would keep pulling, even if the soft limiter was removed.

It's stock number are something like 127/77, but that's motor and not wheel. I think most people were dynoing 120-123ish and 67-72 ft/lbs depending on the bike.
the rc-51 is a liquid cooled DOHC rev factory, and you're comparing it to the buell's tractor engine?
also, it has 24 more horsepower and 6 gears. it is going to accelerate faster. you have to learn how to use the buell if you want to go fast on it.
Darth_Firebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:21 AM   #388
Village Idiot
Argh!someness
 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shepherdsturd, WV
Bikes: GF Cobia
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt View Post
the rc-51 is a liquid cooled DOHC rev factory, and you're comparing it to the buell's tractor engine?
also, it has 24 more horsepower and 6 gears. it is going to accelerate faster. you have to learn how to use the buell if you want to go fast on it.
My point was that I was more impressed with the older 1200cc engine before they made the change to the 900 before bringing the 1200 back.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:23 AM   #389
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master
 
Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
My point was that I was more impressed with the older 1200cc engine before they made the change to the 900 before bringing the 1200 back.
it has 219cc's less. how could you NOT be more impressed by the 1203?
Darth_Firebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:30 AM   #390
patentcad
Peloton Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I rode 140 miles over the past two days if that makes any of you feel better. That bike is slammin.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:31 AM   #391
Village Idiot
Argh!someness
 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shepherdsturd, WV
Bikes: GF Cobia
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And the not so new 1200's. With only having something like 6k-7k red line in the older models, their powerbands were smaller so you got more pull out of it. That's not necessarily good for performance or getting around a track, but that's what you expect out of a hooligan bike. Speed Triple anyone? 1000cc with 130hp and 70 something ft/lbs tq.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:38 AM   #392
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master
 
Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
And the not so new 1200's. With only having something like 6k-7k red line in the older models, their powerbands were smaller so you got more pull out of it. That's not necessarily good for performance or getting around a track, but that's what you expect out of a hooligan bike. Speed Triple anyone? 1000cc with 130hp and 70 something ft/lbs tq.
their powerbands were smaller? their powerband is over 50% of their rev range. how is that a small powerband?
and the triumph is a liquid cooled 3 cylinder. not the best comparison.
what i really want to know is... what do you usually ride? something with a 15k redline?
Darth_Firebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:44 AM   #393
Village Idiot
Argh!someness
 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shepherdsturd, WV
Bikes: GF Cobia
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt View Post
their powerbands were smaller? their powerband is over 50% of their rev range. how is that a small powerband?
and the triumph is a liquid cooled 3 cylinder. not the best comparison.
what i really want to know is... what do you usually ride? something with a 15k redline?
Smaller rev range to fit the powerband in then? The newer models had such a large rev range and it felt like they wanted to smooth the bikes out, but you didn't get that same kick of power as with the old ones.

Now, a TL1000R

Before that, the RC51.

Before that it was an R6.

Several other I-4's and v-twins.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:55 AM   #394
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master
 
Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Smaller rev range to fit the powerband in then? The newer models had such a large rev range and it felt like they wanted to smooth the bikes out, but you didn't get that same kick of power as with the old ones.
:facepalm:
you don't get the same kick because the torque was increased throughout the entire powerband. there isn't really a peak, as there is 70+ ft/ lbs from about 2500 up. the old 1200's would hit their peak about 4500, and not have as much everywhere else. they smoothed the torque out on the xb's so you wouldn't have to worry about a peaky powerband. it was designed to have more torque everywhere. you should really read more about buells before you hate on them for not having a vtec powerband. even their new rotax engines are designed to have smooth power delivery. 146 hp and 82 ft/lbs of torque that doesn't all come on at once? who'd a thunk. i'm done.
Darth_Firebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 10:36 AM   #395
Village Idiot
Argh!someness
 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shepherdsturd, WV
Bikes: GF Cobia
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt View Post
:facepalm:
you don't get the same kick because the torque was increased throughout the entire powerband. there isn't really a peak, as there is 70+ ft/ lbs from about 2500 up. the old 1200's would hit their peak about 4500, and not have as much everywhere else. they smoothed the torque out on the xb's so you wouldn't have to worry about a peaky powerband. it was designed to have more torque everywhere. you should really read more about buells before you hate on them for not having a vtec powerband. even their new rotax engines are designed to have smooth power delivery. 146 hp and 82 ft/lbs of torque that doesn't all come on at once? who'd a thunk. i'm done.
That's how twins behave, but those design of the Buells felt so under powered. I could hit the throttle at 7k rpm from completely closed to completely open and not get anything. Any other twin I've ridden would have went straight up. Twins are not peaky, but they have their power there pretty much through most of the rev range.

I know about Buells, I almost bought one of the old lightings and I've ridden every engine they've made since then except for the Rotax.

It's not like just because it's a Buell it magically has flat torque. I've ridden quite a few twins but those Buells compared more to an SV1000 than to the typical twin I ride as far as the engine goes.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 11:00 AM   #396
patentcad
Peloton Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You guys are too technical. Just twist the throttle and crank that bad boy over.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 11:03 AM   #397
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
You guys are too technical. Just twist the throttle and crank that bad boy over.
Well, we agree on something.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 11:19 AM   #398
patentcad
Peloton Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Well, we agree on something.
We agree on the important things: motorcycles RULE (see thread title) and cagers suck. I don't care if you ride a GXR, Harley, Goldwing, Chopper, or FJR, if you're on a bike, you're my brother (or sister). If you know what I'm saying. And I know that you do.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 11:26 AM   #399
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, 30% chance of rain today. Of course I rode, since I've had enough of washing bikes for a while.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 11:50 AM   #400
patentcad
Peloton Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going with the flow of traffic on I-87 Southbound in Suffern NY today (about 20 miles north of NY City). That meant 80-90 mph with the commuter cager drones. The ST wasn't even breathing hard.

Silly cagers.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 AM.