In the last few months I've been taking an active interest in bird watching. It's amazing watching them with their antics if only you take a moment to stop and watch.
Australia is blessed with a diverse range of beautiful birds many of which are very common. All in the back/side garden or in the adjoining recreation park the house backs onto are:
- large parrots in distinctive colours or with contrasting crests (galahs, sulpher crested cockatoos...)
- selection of honey eaters and shrikes (new holland honey-eater...)
- number of finches and wrens
- large quantities of water birds (it's near a stream) such as native-fowl and ibis
- crested pidgeons (a native of Australia - similar to the feral pidgeon but much shyer and not in plague proportions in the cities)
- birds of prey circling in the field
- Adelaide rosellas and rainbow lorikeets...
It could just be the time of year (unlikely considering it's winter) or an increased awareness. Despite the cold weather, opening the bathroom window while preparing in the morning and listening to the chorus of calls is an absolute delight.
I must be getting old
Any others interested in birds about?