Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-09, 11:11 AM   #1
coasting 
Still can't climb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Bikes:
Posts: 22,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lazy dogs

how lazy is your dog?

i saw a guy walking his grey hound in the park and that sure was funny. he would take a couple of steps then turn around with his hands on his hips waiting and calling his dog then another few steps. it was like he was walking a toddler.

the dog on the other hand looked like he was grazing, slowly swaggering zig zagging around with his nose in the grass. it was like the owner was walking a sheep. the dog looked really young, fit and healthy too. i've seen other dog owners waiting for their dogs, but alwas becasue the dog was off running hither and thither ignoring the owner. this grey hound was just slow and lazy and had a "couldn't give a sht" attitude. very funny.
coasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 11:15 AM   #2
Engyo
getting bent
 
Engyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2008 Rans V3, 1984 Trek 620
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Give the poor greyhound a break. He was just checking his "pee" mail.
Engyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 11:19 AM   #3
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two greyhounds....they are a very lazy dog. Most people think because they are ex-racers that they would be hyper type dogs. Just the opposite. They lay around and sleep about 23 hours and 45 minutes per day...ok maybe an exaggeration, but not by much.

They don't call them "the world's fastest couch potato" for nothing.



__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 11:24 AM   #4
coasting 
Still can't climb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Bikes:
Posts: 22,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
after seeing the greyhound up close i'm starting to like them. i like calm non-manic dogs
coasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 11:24 AM   #5
coasting 
Still can't climb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Bikes:
Posts: 22,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
I have two greyhounds....they are a very lazy dog. Most people think because they are ex-racers that they would be hyper type dogs. Just the opposite. They lay around and sleep about 23 hours and 45 minutes per day...ok maybe an exaggeration, but not by much.

They don't call them "the world's fastest couch potato" for nothing.

[IMG]ht tp ://farm3.static.flickr.com/2028/1896580900_383a9c107a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]ht tp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2141/1895736961_adde1c32e2.jpg[/IMG]
i thought of you when i was laughing at the dog and his owner.
coasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 11:26 AM   #6
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasting View Post
after seeing the greyhound up close i'm starting to like them. i like calm non-manic dogs
They really are great dogs....I totally love the breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coasting View Post
i thought of you when i was laughing at the dog and his owner.
People laugh all the time when they think of me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 11:27 AM   #7
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream
 
edbikebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere out there
Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.
Posts: 2,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasting View Post
i like calm non-manic dogs
Wait - what? These exist????

I own a hyper/happy/ball loving/walk loving/bike ride loving/swimming loving/tug-o-war loving/de-stuffing loving golden retriever. People still ask me how old she is (in that "awww what a cute puppy" way). Then they look sorta awkward & uncomfortable when I tell them she's 6.
edbikebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 11:30 AM   #8
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbikebabe View Post
Wait - what? These exist????

I own a hyper/happy/ball loving/walk loving/bike ride loving/swimming loving/tug-o-war loving/de-stuffing loving golden retriever. People still ask me how old she is (in that "awww what a cute puppy" way). Then they look sorta awkward & uncomfortable when I tell them she's 6.
About 10 years ago (before these poochies) I had a black lab (mix). I had him until he died when he was about 8 years old. That dog still acted like a complete puppy with more energy than I could ever dissipate until the day he died.

Labs are great dogs too......but notoriously VERY ENERGETIC.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 11:50 AM   #9
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream
 
edbikebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere out there
Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.
Posts: 2,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
About 10 years ago (before these poochies) I had a black lab (mix). I had him until he died when he was about 8 years old. That dog still acted like a complete puppy with more energy than I could ever dissipate until the day he died.

Labs are great dogs too......but notoriously VERY ENERGETIC.
I got my girl so we could do stuff together, mostly mountain bike.

Now she's an acceptable level of hyper. When she was younger, I thought I'd never be done walking her/playing with her. We could spend HOURS at the dog park, and she'd be good to go again after napping in the car on the way home (a whopping 20min drive).
edbikebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 11:56 AM   #10
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's just say my dog goes to bed because he's tired of napping all day.


Last edited by substructure; 06-30-09 at 12:05 PM.
substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 12:00 PM   #11
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.
 
fuzzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wandering aimlessly.
Bikes: A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dog has 2059 different spots in the yard to sleep.
__________________

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
fuzzbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 12:03 PM   #12
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by substructure View Post
Let's just say my dog goes to bed because he's tired of napping all day.
I usually quip "they're taking a nap to get up the energy for the nightime snooze".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 12:41 PM   #13
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hehe - my little dog (RIP) always traveled with us everywhere and loved her walks, but when she didn't want too she was one stubborn doggie.

Nothing like walking at a good clip down the sidewalk and then start dragging a boulder behind you - look back and I'm dragging her as she's sitting down. Nope, nu-uh - no more of this walking stuff.
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 01:32 PM   #14
couch_incident
What is a jsharr?
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OHIO
Bikes: Kona Dew
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dog is not the lest bit lazy and she's eight years old. I take her to my parents house every weekend. They have four acres with tons of tasty little animals for her to dig up and eat. Stupid dog cost me 300 bucks a little while ago. The vet showed me the x-ray and saw a lot of little critters in there. Even after messing herself on my couch, I still love this dog.

Couch
couch_incident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 01:50 PM   #15
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by couch_incident View Post
My dog is not the lest bit lazy and she's eight years old. I take her to my parents house every weekend. They have four acres with tons of tasty little animals for her to dig up and eat. Stupid dog cost me 300 bucks a little while ago. The vet showed me the x-ray and saw a lot of little critters in there. Even after messing herself on my couch, I still love this dog.

Couch
?

worms?
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 01:52 PM   #16
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dog has 2 speeds: Sleep, and hyperactive turbo crack monkey. The latter usually lasts until she's exhausted herself of all energy reserves and simply lays down to sleep right in the middle of whatever she was doing.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 01:56 PM   #17
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
My dog has 2 speeds: Sleep, and hyperactive turbo crack monkey. The latter usually lasts until she's exhausted herself of all energy reserves and simply lays down to sleep right in the middle of whatever she was doing.
I guess I've never seen her go long enough to exhaust herself then. She's always been hyperactive turbo crack monkey when I've been there. That's why we (ASCII and I) have tons of fun!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 01:56 PM   #18
couch_incident
What is a jsharr?
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OHIO
Bikes: Kona Dew
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude View Post
?

worms?

Lets see. Last weekend I caught her eating a mole. Earlier in the spring she decided that eating a little bunny made sense. Squirrels are also very evil animals in her eyes. Chases them constantly but those suckers are quick. Once in a while, she'll try to eat a kitty or two but the kitties always win.

Couch
couch_incident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 02:04 PM   #19
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maxx doesn't have any legs. So we just prop him up in different positions for fun. Here's the, "I look attentive, but I could really give a sh**," pose.

substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 02:06 PM   #20
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the "Flat on a couch," pose. Every 15 minutes we roll him over so he won't get too cooked on one side.

substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 02:07 PM   #21
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This one, I just threw him across the yard at my wife and he landed upright. Usually he lands upside down. So this was good enough for a picture.

substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 02:14 PM   #22
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by couch_incident View Post
Lets see. Last weekend I caught her eating a mole. Earlier in the spring she decided that eating a little bunny made sense. Squirrels are also very evil animals in her eyes. Chases them constantly but those suckers are quick. Once in a while, she'll try to eat a kitty or two but the kitties always win.

Couch
Is she a little thing? I mean to find little animals in her - would have thought she'd digest them?
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 02:16 PM   #23
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by substructure View Post
Maxx doesn't have any legs. So we just prop him up in different positions for fun. Here's the, "I look attentive, but I could really give a sh**," pose.

<snip>
You mean he has little short legs, right?
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 02:16 PM   #24
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.
 
fuzzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wandering aimlessly.
Bikes: A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He doesn't have legs?
__________________

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
fuzzbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 02:20 PM   #25
couch_incident
What is a jsharr?
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OHIO
Bikes: Kona Dew
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude View Post
Is she a little thing? I mean to find little animals in her - would have thought she'd digest them?
Na, she's a pretty decent size dog. She was acting funky one day so I took her into the vet. The vet took an x-ray of her and we found what looked like two moles or mice in her.

She is so zen while hunting that nothing will stop her. She sprained her front left leg a few weeks ago digging. You would think that would stop her. Well, while mowing the lawn last weekend I found a nice new crater in the septic tank mound. Stupid dog is stupid. She re-injured her leg. This weekend she is going out on a leash and 'doesn't allowed to play'.

Couch
couch_incident is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 AM.