Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member WilliamK1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Ridge, TN
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any T-Mobile or AT&T Wireless users in the SE USA?

    Ok, I've been a Verizon customer for a little while, maybe since 2002. First cellphone ever was SunCom back in 2000, then Cingular until the VZW switch made cause my wife said Cingular/AT&T was either dropping her calls or failing to dial them.

    My contract runs out on August 21. Just for fun, I ran that billshrink.com thing that T-Mobile's been adverting lately. For those not in the know, it's supposed to be a 3rd party website that analyzes your cellphone usage along with how much you pay while comparing to other plans that are out there.

    I've been thinking about stepping up to a BlackBerry as my brother got one last year and has found it to be quite useful. According to billshrink, the best deal for me would be to switch to AT&T to save $346 over two years. That includes a $120 early termination fee that VZW would assess if we made a switch before 8/21/09. I would need to double check what's included in their plan, but a savings number like that is hard to ignore. I've had some second thoughts about getting the BlackBerry cause I'm afraid it will jack our monthly rate up. My brother pays as much for his single line as we do for a family share with two lines.

    Things get interesting when I tell it that I'm interested in any phone. Then, T-Mobile pops to the top of the list with $459 savings over two years including the early term fee. That requires taking one of the basic phones that comes free with a two-year contract. Well, that number is even harder to pass up and gives me additional second thoughts about the whole BlackBerry thing.

    Well, since I'm manacled to a member of the opposite sex, I can't just go and do what I want to. She's really antsy about making any changes cause most of the people we know are VZW users. Also, this afternoon she'd printed out coverage maps of VZW, AT&T, and T-Mobile to show just how little coverage T-Mobile has compared to VZW. My suggestion to her to really save money and not get any cell phone plan at all was not well met.

    So, does anyone out there in the SE USA use T-Mobile or AT&T? We live in the Chattanooga, TN area, if that makes a difference. When we travel, it's usually to places like ATL or Birmingham, with a trip to Florida beaches every couple of years. We might change to SC beaches at some point.

    I know all carriers can have dead spots even in places that they say are saturated with coverage. But for those non-VZW users, how do you think your service stacks up?

    Thank you,
    -Bill

  2. #2
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im a T-Mobile BB-8130 user in North Palm Fl.
    We've gotten reception everywhere up and down the
    east coast very consistently. We are in the Charleston, SC. and
    Rt. 17 Georgia area, regularly. Twice in year, the BB's went from
    Edge to the lesser network but they had it rectified in an hour.
    T-Mob customer service is very good, too. The same cant be said
    for my experience with Verizon. Many, many connect drops in
    New England area and had to get the VT. Attorney General to get them
    to stop billing us after the contract expired because of non-existent
    customer service. I will do without before using Verizon again

    Try www.wirefly.com for some great deals, we got our two BB's
    free by using them. T-Mob is having a great deal on that Google
    3G Fone, right now

    Hope this helps a little.

  3. #3
    Senior Member WilliamK1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Ridge, TN
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean about VZW in New England. I had all kinds of trouble with them back when I was on a business trip to MA in the summer of 2005. Coverage was spotty at best just a few miles outside of Boston. The town of Great Barrington was totally dead.

    VZW seems to have pretty good coverage in this area, and so far I've not needed to call customer service. But we're paying out alot. A compromise might to be to drop to a plan with fewer minutes. But that runs the risk of turning just about anywhere besides home into a roaming zone.

    Cell phones just end up irking me.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Your contract is up in a month and you're thinking about breaking it now??
    2. Don't know about the Blackberry, but most 'smart' phones nowadays require that you commit to a data plan to use it. I wanted to get one of those touch types, but the mandatory data plan subscription was the deal breaker.

  5. #5
    Senior Member WilliamK1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Ridge, TN
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    1. Your contract is up in a month and you're thinking about breaking it now??
    2. Don't know about the Blackberry, but most 'smart' phones nowadays require that you commit to a data plan to use it. I wanted to get one of those touch types, but the mandatory data plan subscription was the deal breaker.
    LOL, no, I'm not going to break it early. About the only thing that might push that angle is that the battery in wife's phone is all but useless. But otherwise, I'm just trying to plan ahead a bit. I don't want to get to the last minute and get stuck cause wife got pushy.

    The data plan bit is what bothers me. Seems like a data plan that's worth having for a BB on VZW starts at $99/month, and that doesn't include taxes and fees. I'm trying to find out how TMob's data plan compares.

  6. #6
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK1974 View Post
    LOL, no, I'm not going to break it early. About the only thing that might push that angle is that the battery in wife's phone is all but useless. But otherwise, I'm just trying to plan ahead a bit. I don't want to get to the last minute and get stuck cause wife got pushy.

    The data plan bit is what bothers me. Seems like a data plan that's worth having for a BB on VZW starts at $99/month, and that doesn't include taxes and fees. I'm trying to find out how TMob's data plan compares.
    My Wife and I pay 150.00 a month for 2 BB's w/ unlimited data plan.
    This was brokered through WireFly.com.
    The only thing we do not have is texting. Its just something I have absolutely
    not need for especially when you have all the other stuff available with the BB's.
    Do I need internet and stuff like that, no, but on the many road trips we take every
    year it is nice to have the internet/maps and all that stuff ready whenever you need it

  7. #7
    Senior Member WilliamK1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Ridge, TN
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
    My Wife and I pay 150.00 a month for 2 BB's w/ unlimited data plan.
    This was brokered through WireFly.com.
    The only thing we do not have is texting. Its just something I have absolutely
    not need for especially when you have all the other stuff available with the BB's.
    Do I need internet and stuff like that, no, but on the many road trips we take every
    year it is nice to have the internet/maps and all that stuff ready whenever you need it
    How does BB IM compare to texting? To an outsider, they seem the same. My BB-owning brother doesn't live here in town, so I've only seen his phone a couple of times and haven't seen it "in action."

    Is $150/month the full fee, tax and all?

    We're paying $116/month for 700 mins family share, unlimited text, free nights/weekends, no roaming, no data on two phones. One's a Motorola KRZR (hers) and an LG enV (mine).

  8. #8
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK1974 View Post
    How does BB IM compare to texting? To an outsider, they seem the same. My BB-owning brother doesn't live here in town, so I've only seen his phone a couple of times and haven't seen it "in action."

    Is $150/month the full fee, tax and all?

    We're paying $116/month for 700 mins family share, unlimited text, free nights/weekends, no roaming, no data on two phones. One's a Motorola KRZR (hers) and an LG enV (mine).
    Im not sure about the BB messaging 'cuz I never use it, but its there, as is yahoo
    instant messenger and a few other IM's that I cant remember because I deleted
    them. The 'texting' plan is redundant and expensive. I think there are separate plans
    for BB's away from other fones. Im writing this stuff as a cell phone luddite. I use the
    phone, the camera and the internet. Theres a lot more there, but there is simply no need
    for me to use it. Oh yeah, I get youtube fantastically, and that is a real byte sucker but
    its covered under the data plan. Once you suffer an airport delay you will love this !!
    But upon checking, our wirefly plan is actually 159.00 a month, 2 BB's, unlimited data,
    1500 minutes between the fones and unlimited weekends and nites starting @ 9.00pm.
    I believe(?) some of the messaging stuff falls under the data plan if you do it
    correctly and also, on crackberry.com there is a whole buch of ways to circumvent
    some charges using skype/wifi, etc, but I can elaborate cuz Im not techie enuff to
    understand what they are talking about

  9. #9
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had T-Mobile when I lived in Florida. In the cities I typically had good reception, but I found out later that T-Mobile had NO towers up I-75. Anytime I traveled I-75 (which was often) I had ZERO reception. When would I REALLY need a cell phone? Hmmmm.....stranded on highway perhaps?

    So, look at their reception map in the areas/highways you travel often.


    All that being said, I live in the Seattle area now, but am still (back) on T-Mobile. I don't have any major problems with them as a cell phone company, but every area is different for reception and needs to be taken in to account. Check their maps on the website.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  10. #10
    Senior Member WilliamK1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Ridge, TN
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of the reason the texting stuff matters to me has to do with talking to my brother. The texting on typical phones is not real time nor instant. No big deal, really, but if you have access to it, why not take advantage if needed? I'm no cellphone expert, but enjoy gadgets, if that makes sense.

    I work in an office where our workload tends to come in fits and starts. We can be really busy in the AM, and run out of work just after lunch. Or the reverse. Or it comes in waves throughout the day. They're a little weird about us using their computers to surf the web, but don't care about us using our own phones and whatnot as long as the work's getting done correctly and everyone's meeting their quotas. So, when we run into downtime, I text my brothers and sometimes text my wife to kinda feel in touch with the outside world. If they're too busy, they'll say as much. Bt the instant nature of the BB chat just sounds fun and handy, as does having access to data. It's a novelty in other ways too.

  11. #11
    Senior Member WilliamK1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Ridge, TN
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    I had T-Mobile when I lived in Florida. In the cities I typically had good reception, but I found out later that T-Mobile had NO towers up I-75. Anytime I traveled I-75 (which was often) I had ZERO reception. When would I REALLY need a cell phone? Hmmmm.....stranded on highway perhaps?

    So, look at their reception map in the areas/highways you travel often.


    All that being said, I live in the Seattle area now, but am still (back) on T-Mobile. I don't have any major problems with them as a cell phone company, but every area is different for reception and needs to be taken in to account. Check their maps on the website.
    That's so odd that they were dead on I-75. It looks like I-75 thru GA to ATL is pretty well covered. I haven't looked to see how it is going further south. It looks like they do well around here in cities and larger towns, and along major roads. My BB-owning brother was a TMo customer a few years ago and lived in Middle Tennessee. As long as he didn't venture too far from home, he was ok. But traveling between here and home, he would run into a dead zone at about the halfway point. To further complicate things, Chattanooga was kind of on the fringes of roaming for him. So sometimes he was considered inside his home calling zone. But he could make the trip the following month and end up roaming. That's why he went VZW. Not sure what things are like for that area now. Our other brother is thinking about going back to TMo due to costs.

    One thing that my wife pointed out is that VZW is the only carrier that has a signal in the Cades Cove area of the Smokies. Not sure that I see that as an advantage lol. I told her that my goals for going on a trip to the Smokies included getting away from phones of any kind, and she didn't quite seem to get it lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •