Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Sriracha bread?

  1. #1
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sriracha bread?

    So I've been baking my own whole wheat breads lately. Last week I did a garlic, jalapeño, cheddar loaf. The week before I did a garlic, salt loaf.

    I want to make a bread using sriracha. What should I add into it to compliment it?
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  2. #2
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For clarification, this is sriracha.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  3. #3
    (((Fully Awake))) Serendipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
    My Bikes
    Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
    Posts
    5,598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    I want to make a bread using sriracha. What should I add into it to compliment it?

    A half ounce of marijuana and some poppy seeds.



    I made some hot chocolate with cayenne pepper last week . It was good.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

    無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持

  4. #4
    Your imaginary friend. fuzzbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wandering aimlessly.
    My Bikes
    A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
    Posts
    2,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send me some jalapeno and cheese bread plz. My fav.

    Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

  5. #5
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbox View Post
    Send me some jalapeno and cheese bread plz. My fav.
    I'll make some on Thursday if you want.

    Srsly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipper View Post
    I made some hot chocolate with cayenne pepper last week . It was good.
    Mole in a cup?

    I love that combination.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  6. #6
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ARGH! I suck at bread. <pout> lucky dog.

    But, I would almost think you'd lose the sriracha flavor in a bread, and may have to add more to it, so I don't think it would come out well. huh.

    But then - Tude does not know breads - other foods fine.

  7. #7
    Fax Transport Specialist black_box's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    chicago burbs
    My Bikes
    '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    For clarification, this is sriracha.
    thats good stuff interested to hear how it turns out.

  8. #8
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipper View Post
    I made some hot chocolate with cayenne pepper last week . It was good.
    'Mexican mocha'

  9. #9
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey - finding recipes on the internet for it

    http://www.abreadaday.com/?p=19

  10. #10
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Here's what I ended up making last night.

    Both are whole wheat, one is plain and the other is blueberry cinnamon.

    I made the dough a lot looser than my previous batches, actually by accident. The previous couple times (literally only two times) I made bread I formed them into ciabattas, this time I ended up going for full on loaves. I quite like how they turned out. I finally got a killer ratio of dough to water for whole wheat flour.

    Tude, there's nothing to be afraid of about baking bread! For regular white bread you just use 5 parts flour to 3 parts water, a bit of salt (1/4 tsp), and a bit of yeast (1 tsp or so, heat up the water to 110 and add a couple tsp sugar to give the yeast something to eat). If you want the rest of the recipe I use, let me know and I'll either post it or pm it to ya.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  11. #11
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never, ever got my dough to rise properly. Heh - the last time I said to heck with it - rose a little - put it in the oven. hehe - that think hit the garbage pail with a 10 lb thud! I could have used it as a weapon!

  12. #12
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tude View Post
    I never, ever got my dough to rise properly. Heh - the last time I said to heck with it - rose a little - put it in the oven. hehe - that think hit the garbage pail with a 10 lb thud! I could have used it as a weapon!
    My first loaf was really, really dense. The trick is to get the yeast to be happy, which means using warm water (I get mine to 115º) and adding a few teaspoons of sugar.

    I mix my dry ingredients, get the water I'll need and put a little in a coffee mug. I microwave the mug until it's at temperature, add the yeast and sugar, then add that to the dry stuff, then rest of the water.

    You want the dough to be reasonably warm, it helps keep the yeast happy.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  13. #13
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    My first loaf was really, really dense. The trick is to get the yeast to be happy, which means using warm water (I get mine to 115º) and adding a few teaspoons of sugar.

    I mix my dry ingredients, get the water I'll need and put a little in a coffee mug. I microwave the mug until it's at temperature, add the yeast and sugar, then add that to the dry stuff, then rest of the water.

    You want the dough to be reasonably warm, it helps keep the yeast happy.
    Usually, for whole wheat, let it rise an additional 1/2 hour in the final rise as well.

  14. #14
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    Usually, for whole wheat, let it rise an additional 1/2 hour in the final rise as well.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  15. #15
    Strong with the Fred Big_e's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    969
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tude View Post
    I never, ever got my dough to rise properly. Heh - the last time I said to heck with it - rose a little - put it in the oven. hehe - that think hit the garbage pail with a 10 lb thud! I could have used it as a weapon!
    For some reason, this episode of I Love Lucy comes to mind.
    I love pho long time.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you let the yeast/water mix proof for 10 minutes or so before adding it to the flour, it's real happy.
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  17. #17
    My tank takes chocolate. FlowerBlossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi
    Posts
    6,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try a little lime juice and garlic with the sriracha. If you want a lingering citrus flavor, add a little lemon zest. Fresh basil might also be nice, for a Thai-Vietnamese inspired flavor.

    You could also try reducing the sriracha to a thicker paste, and make a "sriracha" roll in the manner of cinnamon rolls, spreading srirachi paste instead of brown sugar and cinnamon, rolling up into a loaf. Reducing sriracha might be difficult, requiring constant stirring because it will be easy to burn, and standing over cooking sriracha sauce might be tough on the eyes and nose. But, you're accustomed to a little fire, so this should be no problem.
    Feminism is the profound notion that women are human beings.

  18. #18
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom View Post
    You could try a little lime juice and garlic with the sriracha. If you want a lingering citrus flavor, add a little lemon zest. Fresh basil might also be nice, for a Thai-Vietnamese inspired flavor.

    You could also try reducing the sriracha to a thicker paste, and make a "sriracha" roll in the manner of cinnamon rolls, spreading srirachi paste instead of brown sugar and cinnamon, rolling up into a loaf. Reducing sriracha might be difficult, requiring constant stirring because it will be easy to burn, and standing over cooking sriracha sauce might be tough on the eyes and nose. But, you're accustomed to a little fire, so this should be no problem.
    Good idea! I think lime, sriacha, and either basil or bay leaves might create something good.

    A sriracha roll...that sounds interesting. I'll get there someday. Next month.
    Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 09-09-09 at 01:56 PM. Reason: clean up
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  19. #19
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    20,238
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    making bread is an exercise in futility. i tried it earlier in the year and it was pants. pants i say.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

  20. #20
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    making bread is an exercise in futility. i tried it earlier in the year and it was pants. pants i say.
    I'm enjoying it so far. It's a nice way to help keep what I consume in check.
    Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 09-09-09 at 01:57 PM. Reason: clean up
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  21. #21
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    20,238
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    baking bread is a sure way to bring disappointment, despair and rage into your life. what makes it worse is that you have to wait full of expectation for the inevitable let down. don't do it.

    the history of bread making

    1) excitement at first try
    2) disappointment
    3) repeat again and again hoping next time it would be different
    4) obsession
    5) rage
    6) therapy
    7) medication

    don't say i didn't warn you.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

  22. #22
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    baking bread is a sure way to bring disappointment, despair and rage into your life. what makes it worse is that you have to wait full of expectation for the inevitable let down. don't do it.

    the history of bread making

    1) excitement at first try
    2) disappointment
    3) repeat again and again hoping next time it would be different
    4) obsession
    5) rage
    6) therapy
    7) medication

    don't say i didn't warn you.
    I've had no failures yet....
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  23. #23
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    20,238
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    i love watching botto posts. if they didn't make it illegal i would probably enjoy watching bear baiting.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally I only eat sriracha with pho (Vietnamese beef noodle soup). You could try any of the veggies that accompany that soup, and/or the ingredients of the soup as well. I also mix sriracha with hoisin sauce 1:1 in a small bowl for dipping the meat in. It's like Vietnamese ketchup lol.

  25. #25
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo2L View Post
    Normally I only eat sriracha with pho (Vietnamese beef noodle soup). You could try any of the veggies that accompany that soup, and/or the ingredients of the soup as well. I also mix sriracha with hoisin sauce 1:1 in a small bowl for dipping the meat in. It's like Vietnamese ketchup lol.
    That is how I discovered this stuff. I've fallen in love with it and use it quite often.
    Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 09-09-09 at 01:58 PM. Reason: clean up
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •